The Student Room Group

Which to choose: Leicester DMU or slightly better universities?

Psychology postgraduate courses are competitive to get into, but how important is it really to get an undergraduate degree from a good department? How much stock should I put into the league tables and research quality?

DMU university is currently ranked 77 general, and 69 in psychology with a research rating of 3aD. The reason I'm considering this university is because it contains my desired course and I'd get to stay in Leicester where I've already made friends at Leicester university.

However I know I could definitely get into a course that is considered 'better' in terms of academia and potentially teaching quality. But the choices aren't that much better, they improve if I combine courses...

Cardiff - Education
Aston - Psych with Socio.
Bangor
Keele
City, Brunel, Hull
Hertfordshire, Essex, Northumbria, Plymouth, Swansea.

Then there's those that I could put down as potential applications but might not make it due to low grades such as Sussex, Surrey, RH etc

Opinions on DMU vs other universities?
Reply 1
Bump~
Different question.
There would be aspects of a postgraduate application that would be MUCH more important than where you graduated. You need a hell of a lot of good work experience and understanding of the subject.

Latest