The Student Room Group

Thailand

I'm hoping to travel around Thailand for a few weeks this summer and wondering if someone who's done it can answer a few questions for me...
- What sort of total weekly budget should I be allowing?
- I'm thinking of going for about 4 weeks: does that sound reasonable to see some of the country and get a feel for it?
- Should any particular places be avoided for two lone female travellers?
Any other info/stories/experiences/recommendations would be fab as I'm in the very early stages of planning this trip. Thanks very much :smile:
In the south, between May-October, some places close as it is low season. There is usually a bit of rain everyday, but after that most days get sunshine as well.. so a bit of a mix. Take an umbrella. But the temps will be around 30 deg, often higher. You have the southern monsoon may to october.

Then in the north, you have the southwestern monsoon which hits there in June or July until November. Still around 30 deg.

I've never been there, i've been researching the best time to go myself. My boyfriend has just been there, to Ko Pha-Ngan and it was really hot and lovely, that was just before Easter. So that's a good time to go to the south. But even if it does rain, it'll be greatly sunny too.

I was watching something on This Morning, and this boy went elephant riding in the north, and fed a baby tiger. I would love to do that.

Not really much help there am i. Sorry. =P
Reply 2
hi, i spent my gap in thailand on kpg. re weather, dont worry bout it, the rainy season in the south just means you get some for about an hour in the afternoon and in the evening, and man, it is NICE! such a relief. i went out at the end of the hotter months and it was unbearable to start with. i dont think you need to avoid any area really, maybe just not the deep south at the moment. especially as you are travelling together. just use your common sense and dont get involved with drugs. everyone gets caught in the end, whether its their first time, second, thirtieth whatever. thailand is not the place to experiment! recommendations - you have to go to Koh pha ngan. most people just go there once each month for the full moon parties, but the island is so beautiful and there is so much more to it than that. koh tao is also stunning especially for divers. really, it's easy to travel round, and you'll have a brill time. good luck!
Hello

Yeah I've just left Thailand.

4 weeks is fine, though you'll probably want to spend more. 4-6 weeks would be ideal.

Budget: Well it's v. v. cheap there. If you share a fan room, allow for perhaps 3 GBP p/ night. Roughly 15 GBP a day would be comfortable - 20 would be totally luxury. Allow extra cash for incidentals; like diving etc.

I'd visit: Bangkok (main street = Khao San rd.)--Chiang Mai (do the hill-trek, elephant riding)--Phuket (see the islands)--Kho Phangan (FULL MOON PARTY! Just came from it, lotsa fun)--Koh Tao (more diving). Incorporate all of these if poss. Maybe 4 days in Bangkok, week Chiang Mai, week Phuket, week Kho Phangan, and week in Koh Tao. Should let you get a really good feel. For that lot, inclusive of diving and that sort of thing, budget maybe 800-1000 GBP for a really comfortable time. That's for maybe 6 weeks. You could easily do it for less, though. Have fun.

Latest