The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
LuhLah
I don't know if the same applies to Higher, but confidence and having an optimistic attitudes towards my subjects helped me pass my Standard Grades. What's better: going into class thinking I hate this subject, I'll never pass or thinking Ok, I'm bad at this. But, how can I improve?.

I agree, confidence is great. Throught 3rd and 4th I didn't have a clue about Physics or Chemistry, in class I couldn't answers the questions set and I struggled but I always though(I was more knew than thought tbh) "I'll be alright, this is easy". Then about a week before the exams I started revising and doing past papers and I realised that I did actually know everything and I got easy 1's.
Reply 221
-College was probably the best decision you'll make.
-All the worrying/panic over your standard grades is pointless, and they were pointless.
-Don't stay up all night doing homework. You'll feel horrid when the teacher doesn't even bother about it.
-No, don't pick Higher Psychology. It'll be a nightmare. You only get 3 hours a week of it, and it's a nightclass...so it generally eats up your limited time.
-Your human biology teacher will be one of the top in her feild, so don't make up figures in expierments!
-There's only so much you can do. Relax.
-Man up: Drop psychology and crash physics.
-You're better at english than you were at standard grade.
-Don't rest on your laurels. Just because you passed your Maths unit 1 NAB doesn't mean that you're Queen Mathematics or anything.
-Higher Chemistry is simple.
-Higher Maths isn't as bad as you thought it would be.
-Human Biology is quite interesting, but there's LOADS of info compared to the standard biology course.
-UCAS will be stressful.
-Don't feel inadequate that most of your friends are applying for med/vet/dent.
-Higher English requires a lot of analysis, and you having had an anxiety disorder will be brilliant at this.
-Take Higher Maths NOW. Not 3 weeks into the course.
-NABs aren't worth stressing over, you'll do fine.
-Ask for help, nobody will bite.
-Past Papers can do wonders.

There, some self refelection :holmes:
Reply 222
Revise more for Higher Chemistry.

That C is still annoying me...and I was quite good at Chemistry too. D:
Original post by Jelephant
12 I think? :dontknow: we have 7 years at primary instead of 6

Still trying to get my head around this. Back in the day, I started secondary school in the first year. Made my choices in the third year. Started my GCSE's in the fourth year. Took the finals in the fifth year.

I left school then to start a great 4 year apprenticeship, but others continued on at sixth form for A-levels. Two years, but called lower sixth, and upper sixth.

No idea what all this year 12 nonsense is all about???
Original post by 303Pharma
Still trying to get my head around this. Back in the day, I started secondary school in the first year. Made my choices in the third year. Started my GCSE's in the fourth year. Took the finals in the fifth year.

I left school then to start a great 4 year apprenticeship, but others continued on at sixth form for A-levels. Two years, but called lower sixth, and upper sixth.

No idea what all this year 12 nonsense is all about???

Instead of taking A-levels over 2 years, Scottish people have Highers and Advanced Highers each over 1 year. Most don't do Advanced Highers because Scottish unis don't require them for entrance however Scottish uni courses are 1 year longer than English ones. Because most people don't do Advanced Highers, Highers are treated as the most important exams for most Scottish students hence our final exams are 1 year before yours.

Latest

Trending

Trending