The Student Room Group
Reply 1
you could get a job when you get back from travelling? More spending money for uni?
You could always pick up a new hobby to make new friends if all yours are leaving for uni.
Reply 3
I'm planning to teach myself Anglo-Saxon as a break from crappy job. I also want to work on my Greek. So you could do something like that - not necessarily languages, but some sort of study. If you wanted you could maybe do another AS/A2 level for fun at your school/college, or if you're totally sick of education maybe take up a new sport or learn an instrument. Or you could volunteer with a charity, it's not always that exciting, but can be interesting and makes you feel really good about yourself.
Reply 4
If it were me I'd go for a job...maybe teamed up with some kind of new hobby or charity work. It'd help you get some money saved up for uni, you can make new friends and it'll also help with job applications later on.
Reply 5
you can go out with friends who haven't gone to uni (surely not ALL of them will? there's still a couple of mine kicking about) and also friends from work, and also go and stay with friends at uni.

it is definitely worth taking hte time out, especially if you've been thinking of this for ages - you'll regret it if you don't!

the time goes really quickly and it is lonely at times but just think of the money/experiences you'll have had and it'll be fine :smile:

EDIT: I've also started going to dancing classes and suchlike, something i've wanted to do for ages but never really had time until now!
Reply 6
Heya - I would recommend taking a gap year. Even though most of my friends are in Uni I still see some of them because they haven't all moved away. I haven't achieved any great feats in my time away from education. I thought about doing extra subjects but I thought that it was too expensive. I would prefer to save money. I bought a guitar but I haven't learnt to play it yet :s-smilie: lol. I am going to join the gym tomorrow so hopefully that'll keep me occupied for a while.

One serious downside to taking a year out is that you forget most of your A Level work - because u don't use any of it!! I shall be revising my work soon. However, I've got alot more money and grown up alot as a result of this year out. I was planning to go to NY for a bit but this was waaaaaaaay too expensive. So maybe I'll do my elective there?

Working gives you alot more options for your time in Uni too. You'll have lots more money to get nicer accom (I'm going for the most expensive halls, because I've earnt it :smile:), to go out and enjoy yourself and you'll have less to worry about next year.

Also, next year I'll be a huge advantage to those people who have only done work experience hehe :rolleyes: :cool:
Reply 7
jamie7
Heya - I would recommend taking a gap year. Even though most of my friends are in Uni I still see some of them because they haven't all moved away. I haven't achieved any great feats in my time away from education. I thought about doing extra subjects but I thought that it was too expensive. I would prefer to save money. I bought a guitar but I haven't learnt to play it yet :s-smilie: lol. I am going to join the gym tomorrow so hopefully that'll keep me occupied for a while.

One serious downside to taking a year out is that you forget most of your A Level work - because u don't use any of it!! I shall be revising my work soon. However, I've got alot more money and grown up alot as a result of this year out. I was planning to go to NY for a bit but this was waaaaaaaay too expensive. So maybe I'll do my elective there?

Working gives you alot more options for your time in Uni too. You'll have lots more money to get nicer accom (I'm going for the most expensive halls, because I've earnt it :smile:), to go out and enjoy yourself and you'll have less to worry about next year.

Also, next year I'll be a huge advantage to those people who have only done work experience hehe :rolleyes: :cool:

just an aside - it's free to take a levels as long as you start them before you are 19 :smile: so if you start them at the beginning of the year out you won't have to pay!
Reply 8
allisandro
just an aside - it's free to take a levels as long as you start them before you are 19 :smile: so if you start them at the beginning of the year out you won't have to pay!

I was 18 at the start of my gap year - but to take one or two A Levels in an evening class (in my area anyway) it costs money. I would not have to pay if I attended my college, however, due to the timings of lessons it was inconvenient to work and study for me - so I decided against it.

Latest