The Student Room Group

Gap Year Funding

It's not exactly a gap year but quite an exspensive 4 months in Thailand and I was wondering the best way to get funds together as I'll probably need about £3500 because I plan to do a divemaster internship and then stay for a further two months. Do people just work before hand to get the money or take out further loans? Any advice would be great! (I can't work while I'm there btw)
Most people I know who've done these kind of trips have worked for a few months or so beforehand to save up the cash. I know people who've had day jobs in offices and evening jobs in bars just to raise the money. Unless you've got really rich parents, I think it's the norm to spend a large chunk of your gap year working to afford the fun stuff - it'll all be worth it when you're on a beach somewhere :wink:
Reply 2
Definitely wouldn't recommend taking out a loan, in a few years your student debt will be plenty to cope with. I'm working for several months before I go anywhere, and I know people who are getting sponsored to e.g. lie in baths of catfood to raise money, so you could try that. Someone else is getting a loan from her parents, but most people don't have that option.
Reply 3
There's some trusts that will give you chunks of money to go off and do things, but often they'll only give out if you're volunteering for a charity or helping the community in some way, but its still worth looking into. The Directory of GRant Making Trusts lists all the trusts in the UK (I'm sure there're other books for other countries too), most main libraries carry a copy of it.
Reply 4
You could also try fundraising events - perhaps getting your local newspaper or radio station involved to help raise publicity. You could do anything from a sponsored run round your entire neighbourhood, to selling cakes to hosting a party (ticket prices going to your pot). Good luck anyway!

Latest