The Student Room Group

How to get into a law firm?????????

I have just graduated in Law and am finding it very hard to secure a work placement let alone a training contract. Can anyone advise me on what I can do to improve my chances in getting into a law firm even if it is for a work placement.
By law do you mean your lpc or with your law degree??
Reply 2
bba
OP
sorry I meant law degree, looking to do LPC later on
Reply 3
try applying itll be a good start lol
Reply 4
bba
OP
you shut up and carry on applying to your so called accountancy firms ayt and for your information i have applied to few firms so there ..................
Reply 5
very rude i was trying to be friendly....
Reply 6
What classification did you get in your degree?
Reply 7
her results are out in a few weeks time and shes hoping to get 2.1 which is quite realistic
Reply 8
Where is your degree from?
What class is your degree?
Do you have good marks throughout your degree?
Do you have any work experience, whether legal or non-legal?
What extra-curricular activities have you participated in?
Do you have any special skills that might be relevant (i.e. languages)?

If you try and answer some of those questions it might be a bit easier for people to help you. I'm sure that you'll appreciate that just asking 'how to get into a law firm?' is very general and difficult to answer properly.
bba
you shut up and carry on applying to your so called accountancy firms ayt and for your information i have applied to few firms so there ..................

You speak like a 4 year old but have just graduated...? :confused:
bba
what I can do to improve my chances in getting into a law firm even if it is for a work placement.

bba
i have applied to few firms so there ..................

Having graduated you should have lost count of the amount you've applied to. Or at least feel like it.
Reply 11
bba
I have just graduated in Law and am finding it very hard to secure a work placement let alone a training contract. Can anyone advise me on what I can do to improve my chances in getting into a law firm even if it is for a work placement.

Some law firms offer 2-week work placements that you can go on- this could be your chance to impress law firms which you eventually want to apply to.

Otherwise perhaps you could get a job as a paralegal and apply for a training contract after that?

Good luck either way.
Reply 12
bba
OP
In response to blinkbelle mind my language I was literally falling asleep and just wanted to post a quick reply to my friend and go to bed!!!

I am hoping to receive a 2:1 degree from Queen Mary University. I have participated in extra-curricular activities such as the law society and debating club and was also selected by a partnership of local businesses to organise a ceremony attended by 300 guests. I have a variety of work experiences including legal, retail and I have been a tutor for over a year now. I do have a variety of skills to offer, however been quite unlucky when it comes to applications. If I'm unable to secure a training contract in the following few months, alternatively I would have to start applying for other law related jobs such as paralegal, patent attorney etc... A law degree can allow you to take different routes if one is unavailable right??
bba
In response to blinkbelle mind my language I was literally falling asleep and just wanted to post a quick reply to my friend and go to bed!!!

I am hoping to receive a 2:1 degree from Queen Mary University. I have participated in extra-curricular activities such as the law society and debating club and was also selected by a partnership of local businesses to organise a ceremony attended by 300 guests. I have a variety of work experiences including legal, retail and I have been a tutor for over a year now. I do have a variety of skills to offer, however been quite unlucky when it comes to applications. If I'm unable to secure a training contract in the following few months, alternatively I would have to start applying for other law related jobs such as paralegal, patent attorney etc... A law degree can allow you to take different routes if one is unavailable right??

Well you would think that, but to be honest.. no.

When I graduated last year I tried to get legal jobs (mainly because I didn't really know what to do with my life, I wanted to be a teacher but I hadn't got a place for the pgce then) and I applied for paralegal jobs, naively thinking that they just wanted a law degree, but no.. most places want paralegals with an lpc.. not quite sure why when if you have an lpc you could become a solicitor??

Good luck.. but it really is tough out there at the moment, especially for legal jobs as they seem to have been hit pretty hard and not many firms are recruiting.. even those who are lucky enough to have found a training contract are finding themselves either losing them or having them postponed..
Reply 14
bba
OP
I know tell me about it in these tough times you just feel like giving up but then again you don't want your law degree going to waste that is why I have started to apply for work placements instead in many city firms with the hope that if I get in then they might employ me very unlikely though. Did you manage to get into a law firm then?
bba
I know tell me about it in these tough times you just feel like giving up but then again you don't want your law degree going to waste that is why I have started to apply for work placements instead in many city firms with the hope that if I get in then they might employ me very unlikely though. Did you manage to get into a law firm then?

No, I don't want to do law.. I was just kind of going along with it because I thought my parents would be disappointed if I changed my mind after graduating..

..I managed to get on a Primary PGCE placement in London, but just getting on that course was ridiculously hard.. there was over 5000 applicants for just under 200 places.. but I'm in a good place at the moment and I'm confident I've made the right choice for me :smile:

Just keep trying and you'll get there eventually! :yep:
What is the difference between law firm and law group?
Reply 17
Original post by sewellnylaw
What is the difference between law firm and law group?

A law firm is a company (or more accurately an LLP) which provides legal services for a fee.

I have never heard of a law group - could you elaborate?
Reply 18
Original post by bba

Your extra curricular activities are good and show a lot of decent, employable qualities - organisation, dedication, etc. You need to focus however on getting some experience working in an actual law firm to finish off your CV. Decide what kind of firm you want to go to (international, national, high street - be realistic) and then try to obtain experience in those areas. Apply for their open days, vac schemes, and if they don't offer them write to HR/recruitment offering your services. Seeing as you're a graduate you may find it useful to apply for some paralegal positions but usually they require the LPC.

Additionally I would like to add that being a patent attorney and being a lawyer are very different - becoming a patent attorney usually requires a more science orientated background with a most having scientific or engineering backgrounds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending