The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah a lot of the problems came from the context in which it was used. When I first saw it I didn't really panic that much I just thought, ahhh I'll figure it out from the source THEN I read the source & panicked lol.
Reply 281
itszednotzee
I got that same reply!!! Grrr, do you think it means they arent actually reading what we are writing? Sort of going... 'oh its another one about history *discard* and send the same e-mail'....:mad:

Bloody annoyed now. They sent me exactly the same email back! How did "this did not address the issue I raised" caus they to send the same email back?!?
moreiniho
Did the source that was referenced in the question talk about the 'confused organization' of the Nazi State?

Urmm i cant really remember tbh now but it was written by Dietrich (press secretary) and all i can remember is the word confusion and stuff to do with a lack of organisation...sorry thats all i can rememeber
Reply 283
EXAM SCANDAL!!!!!!!!!!

For those who took the dreaded Hitler and the Nazi State exam, can you name any colleges where help was given to students in the form of verbal communication from invigilators or through the supply of dictionaries???

VERY IMPORTANT
Reply 284
itszednotzee
AAB :eek:
How did you manage that?!?!?!
Mines AAA....AAB would be a lifesaver...!

no my conditional is AAA, but when i went to the open day he said that they would accept AAB if people missed grades and they firmed birmingham
x
Re: Exam scandal

The point made by an earlier post is hugely significant. I too have heard about the dictionaries and extra help from the inviligilators. If we can get enough people - to come forward and admit what happened in their exam - the exam board and their regulatory body will have the investigate. we can not allow students to be disadvantaged in this way , when edexcel has appeared to single handedly put peoples' university places at risk

We have to work together on this and not allow this company to act so irresponsibly, if we are not happy with the response - we continue to push on this - it is too important to give up.
Reply 286
Whilst I wasn't troubled by the phrase, I am a bit shocked that some teachers just read out the definition out loud to the class. That just isn't fair to anyone!
One of the major problems i found with the second part was in my attempts to separate the words of despotic and tyranny. Obviously i pretty much knew what tyranny meant but i can remember my weak attempts to explain what despotic actually meant. The phrasing certainly threw me off what the question was actually asking................ and the sources were so unrelated and atypical. Not happy lol
sophiesurprise
I may have over stepped my mark when i wrote back to edexcel....hahaha :s

Dear Sir/Madam

I am once again writing about paper 6526 6E. I am absoloutly appauld at the way edexcel have handled so many complaints. I feel as if you are not taking more than 800 student complaints seriously. Edexcel can't even be bothered to send us an email back from an actual person instead we get an automated email not even explaining what you are planning on doing, or half the time not even answering the questions that we have taken the time and effort to write.
I am shocked and deeply upset at the way this whole thing is being delt with. You can not ignore over 800 student complaints and distresses.

"I didn't get why the source they chose to quote didn't even support the meaning of "despotic tyranny"?"

"Despotic Tyranny? Give me a break, as if we were meant to know what that meant."

"this was actually the worst question ever... you couldnt even guess what it meant from the rest of the source besides chaotic.. such a joke."

"so i did the exam, knowing everything about nazi germany.
exept the word despotic."

"despotic is practically the same as tyrannous which means despotic tyranny is like saying its a "tyrannical tyranny" which makes not sense!!!!"

"omg just found out that some people used a dictionary in the exam!! "

"Since when did we hve to swallow a dictionary for a history exam.. GRR."

I could go on but to be honest there are hundreds of these complains on facebook and the student rooms and once again i urge you to take this matter seriously. As you now have a thousand 17-19 year olds very upset and angry.

Thank you
Sophie Biddle

Ahhh well....uni's out the window for me anyways haha :P

Maybe you'd get a better response if you had done a spell check?
I know this exam thing is annoying, but you can't kinda answered your own question when you wonder why they don't send an individual reply to hundreds of complaints - how can they?

I am on your side, it was a RUBBISH exam! But at this point, is there much point in complaining and worrying so much about it?
Reply 290
Hello

We have received complaints from teachers and students regarding the 6526 6E summer 09 question paper - concerns have been raised about the use of the phrase 'despotic tyranny' in source 6 and in question 1B. I am providing the following advice to teachers and students on behalf of the Qualification Delivery and Award Manager for History.

Please be assured that your concerns will be taken into account at all stages throughout the examination period to ensure no candidates sitting this examination are disadvantaged.

The use of this phrase was discussed at the setting of the question paper and it was felt that A2 candidates would be familiar with the use of this terminology in the context of Hitler’s regime. However examiners will be instructed to pay careful attention to the interpretation of this question and additional guidance will be provided for the marking of this question.

It is always the practice at examiner standardising meetings to take account of ways in which candidates have interpreted questions to ensure that they are fully rewarded for positive achievement. The Principal Examiner has selected material for use of standardising with your concerns in mind and will make examiners fully aware of these concerns at the standardisation meeting - where each examiner is trained to apply the mark scheme in the same way.

During the course of the marking period, examiners will be looking at the impact of the wording of the question and raising any issues with their Senior Examiners to ensure that candidates work are marked consistently and to the same standard.

At the end of the marking period, the Senior Examining team together with the Qualification Delivery & Award Manager will, again, review the impact of the use of the phrase “despotic tyranny” in the source and the question wording and its impact on candidates. They will take this into account when setting the grade boundaries.

If teachers wish to formally register their concerns, please write to the following address:

Qualification Delivery and Award Manager for History

Edexcel

190 High Holborn

London

WC1V 7BH

Best Regards

Mark Battye

History Subject Advisor
This exam was an absolute dream for me! I literally turned the page and mentally punched the air- Heinrich Himmler is by far my 'best' Nazi and the sources for the question were good, the Collier/pedley one was taken from the textbook our school had looked at, the first one was from HH's famous speech, and the second was pretty nice so the context and content were all pretty familiar and useful. It was unsual that the question only focused up till 1943, but then thats probably to avoid his increase in power after july 20th 1944 and then his seeking of a peace treaty in 1945- I even managed to fit in something about his mistress and how that messed up his intrigue in 1941 -and I never thought I'd get anything that could fit her in :smile:

For Qusetion 2, i was kinda unsure what despotic tyrant meant, but I took what was implied in the source, and besides, it was a good source - written by Dietrich, who I was familiar with from looking at Nuremberg- then The Kershaw Source was from his Hitler Biography which I'd read (I could even name the chapter it was from!) and the Bullock one was quite nice too as it was an example source in the back of one of my textbooks. In general the question was alright, there was plenty of opportunity to talk about acess to Hitler, Polycraticism, dualism and working towards the fuhrer- and there was enough to talk about strengths and weaknesses - which I think essentailly the question was asking.

After getting unfairly marked down (I got a D for the AS, which was remarked and bumped up by 17ish marks - taking it to a B, when my other 2 history papers were about 10 marks off full marks each) I wasn't gonna let this paper drag my mark down again - and I safely say it won't have done :smile:
Reply 292
the question was awful!!!! cant really remember what i wrote for the first question because i was too busy panicking over the word despotic! My answer was soooooooo vague!!!

In my B section i used too much own knowledge if thats possible, which believe me after that exam i really believe it is. I managed to use all the sources and then panicked because id totally ignored the word 'became' so half way through my essay started the proper argument of how the hitler regiem was intended to be a tyrrany but only to the people that Hitler was against, jews etc to the rest he intended Germany to be a kind of Eutopia even if it did mean he had to achieve this through tyrannicle methods such as the gestapo and propaganda and aiming to achieve total control. Hope that makes more sense to you lot than it does to me know im writing it again. xxx
haha Theres an Article published in the Sunday Express about this exam - I love the quotes "Choatic" XD A Level Exam Too Hard? It goes on abotu how we're all under educated and the education system should be ashamed of itself :woo:

Also I'm sure its a Minority, but for those of you on facebook and who actually didn't mind the exam Despotic Tyranny DID NOT ruin my life
DoYouHaveaFlag
haha Theres an Article published in the Sunday Express about this exam - I love the quotes "Choatic" XD A Level Exam Too Hard? It goes on abotu how we're all under educated and the education system should be ashamed of itself

Also I'm sure its a Minority, but for those of you on facebook and who actually didn't mind the exam Despotic Tyranny DID NOT ruin my life

:rofl:
Hahahah
DoYouHaveaFlag
haha Theres an Article published in the Sunday Express about this exam - I love the quotes "Choatic" XD A Level Exam Too Hard? It goes on abotu how we're all under educated and the education system should be ashamed of itself :woo:

I feel under-educated but then again I have been to failing state schools all my academic career. Now I feel failed by an elitist exam board, which could lose me my chance to attend a university which would give me a decent education at last. Fun times.
I was speaking to my Nazi teacher earlier (as in teachest he subject, not is actually a Nazi), and he has searched through every single official document from edexcel, and nowhere has he found the word "despotic". I took an educated guess at the meaning, and fortunately I got it right, but I still disagree with what the Edexcel has done.

In last years Advanced Extension Award for English by OCR, the question was regarding Transgression. On the first page, OCR printed a dictionary deffinition of the word for reference. Surely the word "Transgress" is much easier to understand than "Despotic"?
Glenners48
I was speaking to my Nazi teacher earlier (as in teachest he subject, not is actually a Nazi), and he has searched through every single official document from edexcel, and nowhere has he found the word "despotic". I took an educated guess at the meaning, and fortunately I got it right, but I still disagree with what the Edexcel has done.

In last years Advanced Extension Award for English by OCR, the question was regarding Transgression. On the first page, OCR printed a dictionary deffinition of the word for reference. Surely the word "Transgress" is much easier to understand than "Despotic"?

eyyy Glennerssss :wink:FANCY SEEING YOU HERE I don't know about our Nazi teacher - He did create the Warbs Myth ;P

Latest

Trending

Trending