The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
poojatanwani7
Is it just me or do you get wayyyy too little time for each section in the ukcat (20 mins for 40)

When I did it I don't think I finished any of the sections if I remember correctly. The maths one seems impossible to finish!
Reply 101
Im having the same problem with time too. Ive had to move my test tho, so i can practice more. Can anyone recommend any particularly good text for UKCAT.
The UKCAT should really be scrapped... I feel sorry for you guys.
Toiletpaper8
The UKCAT should really be scrapped... I feel sorry for you guys.

It is a filter, that's it.

I prefer it to them all going bham GCSE nazi
crazylemon
It is a filter, that's it.

I prefer it to them all going bham GCSE nazi

I don't get why they can't just all ask for AAA instead of AAB. That would work as an effective (and arguably more fair) filter.

Birmingham's GCSE thing isn't something I like either, but I still feel it's more fair than the UKCAT - which is some completely random and pointless test, which relies hugely on luck and doesn't even test aptitude.
Toiletpaper8
I don't get why they can't just all ask for AAA instead of AAB. That would work as an effective (and arguably more fair) filter.

Birmingham's GCSE thing isn't something I like either, but I still feel it's more fair than the UKCAT - which is some completely random and pointless test, which relies hugely on luck and doesn't even test aptitude.

I don't think hugely on luck, very few people will get very high scores just by guess in all sections.
But the lack of transparency with the marking of it does make it look dodgey.

But then if everyone asks for AAA it could be argued you are cutting out otherwise excellent candidates.

Every filter will give advantage to some and disadvantage to another, I don't think the UKCAT is too bad though, depends on how it is used
crazylemon
I don't think hugely on luck, very few people will get very high scores just by guess in all sections.
But the lack of transparency with the marking of it does make it look dodgey.

But then if everyone asks for AAA it could be argued you are cutting out otherwise excellent candidates.

Every filter will give advantage to some and disadvantage to another, I don't think the UKCAT is too bad though, depends on how it is used

Well, I think the UKCAT also cuts out some excellent applicants. A few from my school definitely, IMO.

And if they don't tell us how it's marked, it's pretty pointless isn't it... because you don't really know how to go about doing it.
Toiletpaper8
Well, I think the UKCAT also cuts out some excellent applicants. A few from my school definitely, IMO.

And if they don't tell us how it's marked, it's pretty pointless isn't it... because you don't really know how to go about doing it.

Other than trying to get the questions right :p:

Would be a sick twisted person that gave you more marks for getting things wrong :p:

Maybe it does cut people out, but at least some unis don't uses it whereas if you were to take every med school to AAA then anyone with anything lower has no chance
Argh... I can't get my head around this Abstract Reasoning section at all. Hopefully I'll get better with practice, but it's slightly disheartening that I could get rejected from places on the basis of me not being able to place a shape into a specific set...
Toiletpaper8

with the number of applicants who exploit the predictions system, i can't see that being a very effective policy. if they raise it to AAA schools are just going to predict people AAA. as far as the school is concerned, they just want to send as many people off to uni as possible, to make themselves look good, improve rankings etc.

i'm not a fan of the ukcat either tbh...but i don't think there's any way around it.
Isometrix
with the number of applicants who exploit the predictions system, i can't see that being a very effective policy. if they raise it to AAA schools are just going to predict people AAA. as far as the school is concerned, they just want to send as many people off to uni as possible, to make themselves look good, improve rankings etc.

i'm not a fan of the ukcat either tbh...but i don't think there's any way around it

Everyone sit the devil test of the BMAT?

It may be an evil horrible test and the worst exam I have ever done, but atleast people feel they got the mark they deserved :p:

But I agree AAA just means people will be predicted higher and the people which will lose out will be those at schools which predict fairly/use AS marks
crazylemon
Everyone sit the devil test of the BMAT?

It may be an evil horrible test and the worst exam I have ever done, but atleast people feel they got the mark they deserved :p:

But I agree AAA just means people will be predicted higher and the people which will lose out will be those at schools which predict fairly/use AS marks

could do, but if every university does that then it's going to make medschool admissions even tougher because you sit the bmat after applying. so a screw up on one test could essentially wipe out all your choices for that year. i guess they could shift the test date back before the ucas deadline....why don't they do that anyway?! surely from a business point of view they'd want as many people as possible doing the test so they can extract the maximum amount of money. setting the test after the ucas deadline just puts people off from doing it...

tbh i can't see why all universities can't follow Bristol's policies. they get by fine without using the ukcat...
Isometrix
could do, but if every university does that then it's going to make medschool admissions even tougher because you sit the bmat after applying. so a screw up on one test could essentially wipe out all your choices for that year. i guess they could shift the test date back before the ucas deadline....why don't they do that anyway?! surely from a business point of view they'd want as many people as possible doing the test so they can extract the maximum amount of money. setting the test after the ucas deadline just puts people off from doing it...

tbh i can't see why all universities can't follow Bristol's policies. they get by fine without using the ukcat...

Thats true if more were to use the BMAT it would have to be moved forward, at the moment I think it is fine, it just makes people think more about where to go for, also if atm it was after no one with a low/lower BMAT would go for one of the 4, probably reducing their choice overall.

As for not using it Bristol I don't know about, but we all know how everyone feels about Brum and how it deals with it
I am finding both the Abstract and Verbal Reasoning sections tough, but am confident that with enough practice I'll be able to nail this bad boy.

I'm off to have a go at the practice test now (from the UKCAT webpage download), will update with my marks later..
Isometrix

i'm not a fan of the ukcat either tbh...but i don't think there's any way around it.

How about... make people state what AS grades they actually got alongside their A2 predictions?
Toiletpaper8
How about... make people state what AS grades they actually got alongside their A2 predictions?

yeh could do. they can put it as pending on their ucas, but make it a requirement to state what AS scores the applicant obtained on their first attempt, in their reference. or just follow Bristol. they can get by without using the ukcat and without placing huge emphasis on one particular area of the application *hint hint birmingham*
Toiletpaper8

I think that would be a good idea, but would be very unpopular with a large number of people who, 'didn't take AS seriously'
crazylemon
I think that would be a good idea, but would be very unpopular with a large number of people who, 'didn't take AS seriously'

I see you've got 3 warning points for general derailing and being a lemon :p:

Anywho, I think A levels need a major overhaul. The number of times you can resit a module already takes the micky out of the system. They could limit the number of resits to like 1 - after all, you're unlikely to have a bad day twice... or they can do what some exams do and allow resits but up the requirements to get the grade for resits e.g. A being at 85% instead of 80% for resitters... or something of the sort.

And really, if you have like BCCD or something and get predicted AAAA, something is seriously ****** up. Showing the unis what you got for AS will stop ridiculous predictions and limit the impact of massive discrepancies in grade predictions between schools.

Isometrix
yeh could do. they can put it as pending on their ucas, but make it a requirement to state what AS scores the applicant obtained on their first attempt, in their reference. or just follow Bristol. they can get by without using the ukcat and without placing huge emphasis on one particular area of the application *hint hint birmingham*

Definitely. Some predictions are insane, such as that mentioned above. And yes, though I guess they have to have a lot of time on their hands :p:
Isometrix

I don't think the BMAT is particularly run as a business, certainly not in the same vein as the UKCAT. For a start it is a hell of a lot cheaper, and when you think of the work involved (sending papers around the country, getting two people to check the essay, compiling statistics and sending results out all within 1 month) you're not going to get much change out of the £30 or whatever it was.

I don't have a problem with the deadline. The deadline ensures that only people that are serious about applying will sit it, meaning the statistics they compile will accurately represent how well you did compared to everyone else who applied, rather than those who just sat the test.
Toiletpaper8
I see you've got 3 warning points for general derailing and being a lemon :p:

Anywho, I think A levels need a major overhaul. The number of times you can resit a module already takes the micky out of the system. They could limit the number of resits to like 1 - after all, you're unlikely to have a bad day twice... or they can do what some exams do and allow resits but up the requirements to get the grade for resits e.g. A being at 85% instead of 80% for resitters... or something of the sort.

And really, if you have like BCCD or something and get predicted AAAA, something is seriously ****** up. Showing the unis what you got for AS will stop ridiculous predictions and limit the impact of massive discrepancies in grade predictions between schools.

Yes ahem about that :colondollar:

I agree A level need an overhaul, The A* is a cheap get around. Personally I would prefer an all or nothing in one final exam (ala IB) or as you have said only 1 resit, the fact for some modules you can take it 4 times is silly.
Predicted grades are always abit of a joke

Latest

Trending

Trending