The Student Room Group

UCAS points?

My mate has pretty much messed their A levels up... any idea what they can do to gain some UCAS points in a year? They want to go to University but had a lot of problems this year and my college won't keep them on for a third year because the syllabus changed.

Any ideas? They want to go into something media or arts related.
Reply 1
Go for an art foundation? Failing that, ask your careers/uni advisor :smile:
do they play an instrument? Grades above 5 in theory and practical are gain UCAS points.
Reply 3
Yeahh I've been looking at foundation years for her, there's quite a few. At most she'll probs get about 150 ucas points which is probably enough for most foundation things for media I *think*... not sure though.

Nahh she doesn't play an instrument... Ima get her to talk to the careers people tomorrow :smile:
Reply 4
onlinebacon
Yeahh I've been looking at foundation years for her, there's quite a few. At most she'll probs get about 150 ucas points which is probably enough for most foundation things for media I *think*... not sure though.

Nahh she doesn't play an instrument... Ima get her to talk to the careers people tomorrow :smile:
Your friend needs to bear in mind that a proportion of the UCAS points will need to come from A2 levels or equivalent. You can't just count up points from ASs and other miscellaneous qualifications; the entry requirements for university are generally based on the principle that everyone should meet a minimum standard of two A2s at least. There is some flexibility for people who are applying as mature students and/or through non-traditional routes but equivalence is expected.

It sounds like a Foundation course would be a good option for her, and a discussion with the careers adviser is a sensible move.
Reply 5
onlinebacon
My mate has pretty much messed their A levels up... any idea what they can do to gain some UCAS points in a year? They want to go to University but had a lot of problems this year and my college won't keep them on for a third year because the syllabus changed.
Any ideas? They want to go into something media or arts related.

Does your mate know that they can still resit the old A2 syllabus in January? Even if college won't keep them on to teach, could they not be entered for the last sitting of the A2 exams in January, or alternatively find another college that will allow them to just take the exams in January.

Also, is the messing up of the A Levels a certainty? You never know - they might have done better than they thought

Latest

Trending

Trending