The Student Room Group

Is it Half Empty, or Half Full?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
D3M!
If you fail to fill it , it would be half empty
If you fail to empty it , it would be half full.

Well of course you would have failed to fill it if it was 'half empty' because you would of just half emptied it, not filled it, thus failing to fill it
Reply 41
MrStick
Well, I wasn't aware of your joke, Sorry about that.

Also, in no aspect did I call you pathetic.

I stated the opinion of hitting someone with a different view is. But if you say its a joke, then that doesn't neccessarily apply. And either way, doesn't imply that you're pathetic.

I'm.. sensitive:o:
Reply 42
MrStick
Lol. If it's not alcoholic drink, I don't mind joining in... as long as it floats my boat :P

Two heads are better than one, no?

Cheers for that! I'm counting on you now :cheers:
Reply 43
I take accurate measurements so I never have to deal with this. Its always a micron one way at least.
Depends whether you are emptying or filling the container.
Reply 45
ANAH
I'm.. sensitive:o:

Aah I see. I apologise for not taking that into consideration. Sorry.

carlosb
Cheers for that! I'm counting on you now :cheers:

Aha! That's great..... I just filled half a glass of Lemonade. Its now empty though. XD
I personally see it as an arbitrary distinction. Half full, half empty... both describe the glass in the same state of being, the glass is filled to half of it's volumetric capacity. I would say the glass is half full but I disagree that, that makes me an optimist because at that point, it just becomes a choice of wording and I am too much of a realist to truly class myself as an optimist.
Reply 47
neither full nor empty
This is a twelve-year-old thread :smile:

Original post by Aridge93
I personally see it as an arbitrary distinction. Half full, half empty... both describe the glass in the same state of being, the glass is filled to half of it's volumetric capacity. I would say the glass is half full but I disagree that, that makes me an optimist because at that point, it just becomes a choice of wording and I am too much of a realist to truly class myself as an optimist.
Original post by a_human_being?
This is a twelve-year-old thread :smile:

The subject isn't time-sensitive :smile:
I'm usually a half - full kinda person :yy:
Reply 51
well, due to the surface tension of water you can fill the glass to significantly past its brim. therefore, this "half" is less than half if the half is measured by height (i.e. there is less than half the capacity of liquid in the glass), so therefore it is neither half empty nor half full since it is less than half full and more than half empty.
if the half is measured by volume (i.e. is half of the total capacity of the glass), then it is more than halfway up the side of the glass and is therefore more than half full or less than half empty, so is neither half full or half empty.
if the half is the middle of those two then it is not half by either measure and therefore this also fails.
therefore there is no such thing as the glass being half full or half empty. we can only assume that the glass has liquid, which cannot be refuted if the glass is attempting to be half full (because it must have liquid if it has volume.). the only other alternative is that the glass does not exist which would allow the volume of the water or other drink to also be 0. but if this were the case then the glass too doesn't exist and we've wasted our time talking about a nonexistent glass.
but this is all hypothetical so the glass doesn't actually exist anyway and therefore you've wasted your time reading through this pile of rubbish, just like i have wasted my time writing it.
Original post by MrStick
As the title implies....

Is it Half Empty, or Half Full?

Oh and please don't give stupid remarks. As everyone has a different opion/answer to it. I have mine, but I wish to see others first before stating mine :smile:

I want your opion on how you see it to be!
I know it can be classified as both. Jeez people, use your brains!!!!
All I want is peoples opinions on it. -_-
How you will generally see any drink - half empty of half full? And why?
Thank you!

Edit: Seems like there are a lot of simplemind people on TSR that hardly use their brains xD

Depends on whether you were drinking it or filling your cup
Depends what’s in it and whether I want to fill it with anything or finish the other half. If I will finish it, half full, if I will fill it, half empty!

Either way, free drinks!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by TinyPizza256
Depends on whether you were drinking it or filling your cup
I like that way of looking at it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest