The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

d123
Can't get away with it even if I tried, you can't get on or off the platform at Bham New Street without one.

you can...but only late at night when no one is there
i've got off at around 7pm on a sunday and all the barriers are open
Reply 21
Sometimes from Brighton to London Victoria or vice versa at peak times they just keep the barriers open without having to show or swipe your tickets through. I bought my ticket anyway just incase a conductor asks for it and guess what there wasn't any on duty. What a waste of £35! Grrrrrrrrrrr...
At the end of the Bakerloo Line (from about Stonebridge) there didn't used to be any barriers so of course noone used to buy tickets. Every now and again there used to be Inspectors waiting at North Wembley, where I got off. I had many ways of dodging them.

1. Get back on the train on the, go to the next train station touch in and go back.

2. Give false details. Sarah Waters was a favourite of mine.

3. Cry (which didn't actually work so I gave my real address but just didn't pay when the fine arrived)

Yeah but they have barriers now so the good time are over.
I used to manage to dodge all the time going to Edinburgh when i was younger, but now they have put in barriers :frown: sad times.
Kalanthe
I've been buying child tickets to get through the barriers. I'm a bad person. Works though, never gotten caught.

:giggle: so do I ..and I will continue
Its really annoying cos on some trains you CAN pay on them but generally you're really meant o get it before hand if the ticket station is manned/has ticket machines.

When i was a young whippersnapper i quite often pretended to be 15 in order to get a child ticket. It was the only way i could afford to go see my bf. That said i did go to extremes (such as um..wearing my old school uniform and putting in my retainer) :redface:
xXMessedUpXx
Its really annoying cos on some trains you CAN pay on them but generally you're really meant o get it before hand if the ticket station is manned/has ticket machines.

When i was a young whippersnapper i quite often pretended to be 15 in order to get a child ticket. It was the only way i could afford to go see my bf. That said i did go to extremes (such as um..wearing my old school uniform and putting in my retainer) :redface:

lol u get a rep my friend
Reply 27
300mg
lol the transport police? Was she joking?

yep - she was not joking LOL
Reply 28
Asheeers
yep - she was not joking LOL

Haha "they'll be waiting for you at your stop". Uh oh!
I always pay my train fares because I get annual train passes. However after getting the train to school for two years and every weekend for 4 years before that I have certainly seen my fair share of fines and excuss. You are fine unless the revenue protection are on board.

Excuses that don't work:
lack of time before getting on if you don't go straight to the guard
lack of ticket buying factulities if you don't go to the guard straight away
hiding in the toilets
pretending to be asleep
saying you've lost the ticket. If you get a fine and then find the ticket sen the ticket into them and your fine should be cancelled.
saying it's in a bag somewhere for the same reasons

The fines are usually £30 or double the train fare that it would be. If you don't pay and it goes to court the fine shoots up.

In my area very few stations have barriers however they have a rota of there being guards at the stations checking. Unfortuantly I know the trains well enough to know which trains they are checked on and which they aren't. It really worried me when I realised I knew the whole timetable for my route :sigh:

Anyway I'll be normalish soon and stop talking about trains.
I always buy a ticket but I have noticed recently that when I've got the train from Bradford to Leeds, then Leeds to York, I'm never asked for my ticket, ever. Not once in more than 10 journeys. I could easily get on a train and just by tickets for the return trip on my way home, 'cause that's when they usually check mine.

Weird.
when my dad lost his liscence, i used to get a tram everyday to school.. me and my dad used to pretend we were asleep and most of the time they didn't bother asking. i doubt that would work now, though.

When visiting my grandparents once, my stop was the next one (on a train) and we were literally 3 minutes away, the ticket woman asked for my ticket, so i told her my parents had my ticket and they were sat in seats 21 and 22 (dont remember the numbers i said then). anyway, it worked!
Sakura-Chan
I always buy a ticket but I have noticed recently that when I've got the train from Bradford to Leeds, then Leeds to York, I'm never asked for my ticket, ever. Not once in more than 10 journeys. I could easily get on a train and just by tickets for the return trip on my way home, 'cause that's when they usually check mine.

Weird.

sod's law. the time you don't get a ticket is they time they will check them :P

has anybody told you you look an awful lot like Margaret, off of the apprentice?
A Jerk Howls
sod's law. the time you don't get a ticket is they time they will check them :P

has anybody told you you look an awful lot like Margaret, off of the apprentice?

No? :unsure:
I don't pay for trains (please don't neg me for that!) as I have a pass until I leave education (my Dad works for the railways and it was part of his redundancy package from British Rail when I was little) but I have like a limited amount of boxes I can use to travel, and I travel a lot so I try to avoid filling in the boxes if my ticket's not going to be checked.. most of the time they don't even look at the date properly though, they just see the pass and go "yep okay"

I've heard all the excuses though and the majority of the time they don't work :frown:
letsdothetimewarpagain
lack of ticket buying factulities if you don't go to the guard straight away

Many stations have little in the way of ticketing facilities - machines etc often get vandalised and don't sell the full range of tickets. Thus guards happily sell tickets from those stations when they go around - it's not really practical for 20 people to all go and stampede him at the station.

However, the rest of your post is sensible and level headed :yes:.
Reply 36
My ticket hasn't been checked on numerous occasions, especially when going to Liverpool unless you go through a gate requiring you to show a ticket. Usually the ticket office is closed here anyway so if I go to Manchester I have to buy my tickets when I get there to get past the barriers.
Reply 37
I usually buy a ticket but sometimes the machine doesn't take notes and the queue for the desk is really long so I can't pay.
I regularly enjoy cheating the ticket system on the EastCoast mainline anywhere between Stevenage and Edinburgh.

The last 2 or 3 trains in the evening rarely have trains.

Mid route, the ticket inspector will often say "tickets from.. (insert last station)" and walk straigh past you unless you are the one to react - If you get on at Newcastle or Leeds they often change their staff so they check all tickets.

I buy advance tickets that are suposably only valid for the one train, you can always get away with taking a later train by making some sort of story.

Local trains are a bit harder, I find Northern Rail staff are quite on the ball, and the automatic ticket barriers at Leeds have stopped my tactic of flashing the guards an old used ticket on exit of the station.
Reply 39
I wouldn't dare get on a train without a ticket! Especially on midland mainline because it's so much more expensive to buy on the train. Once i was on the train going from nottingham to leicester and a lady got on who was going to london and when the ticket person came round she showed her ticket, it was a ticket for the train that left 15 minutes before, which she'd booked in advance but missed, the ticket woman said she'd have to pay like £50 for a ticket on the train.

Once when i went to kent though no one look at my ticket or stamped it, so when i got home i went to the desk at the station and said i got a lift with someone instead and got a refund on my tickets.

Latest

Trending

Trending