The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
ForeverDecember
What's your evidence for that? Where are the Greenwich and TVU students in the top firms in the UK and the US? Now look for students from Oxbridge, UoL, Bristol, Durham etc...ooh there's one, there's another, and another...etc.

Perhaps you will succeed with your Greenwich degree (although I wouldn't employ someone with an attitude like yours) but you are severely cutting your chances...

The top 20 university's all together provide around 2,000 students who pass law and around 80%+ pass with a 2.1. There's more then 2,000 TC's avaliable in the UK a year.
Jinxed
How's that taking the piss? the 2nd post in this thread was full of sarcasim which was asking for a flaming match to start.

I am going greenwich, so get the **** over it.

No-one's slagging off your choice of greenwich as a university....it's just your insistence that oxford is "nothing special" and that it would be a "piece of cake" for you to get in is, i'm sorry to say.....complete and utter *******s.
Reply 62
Zebedee Funk
No-one's slagging off your choice of greenwich as a university....it's just your insistence that oxford is "nothing special" and that it would be a "piece of cake" for you to get in is, i'm sorry to say.....complete and utter *******s.

I only started saying that from page 2 when you guys started flaming me, I do think oxford is nothing special with the bottom of my heart, same goes for cambridge and all the rest.
Jinxed
The top 20 university's all together provide around 2,000 students who pass law and around 80%+ pass with a 2.1. There's more then 2,000 TC's avaliable in the UK a year.

ForeverDecember didn't say it would be impossible to get a TC...just that you are cutting your chances...which is true
Jinxed
I only started saying that from page 2 when you guys started flaming me, I do think oxford is nothing special with the bottom of my heart, same goes for cambridge and all the rest.

If you genuinely believe that...then that's your opinion...but i'm afraid that most employers would have similar views to us.
Well you can keep telling yourself that when you repeatedly get turned down for TC after TC because they want people with a degree from a top university and you can tell them that in all the interviews you go to and see what they say and then when they turn you down you can phone them up and tell them again.
Reply 66
Zebedee Funk
ForeverDecember didn't say it would be impossible to get a TC...just that you are cutting your chances...which is true

Maybe so but it's a risk I am most likly going to take.

I cannot go to uni outside of london and I am not saying why, there's only 3 other university's in london who are anything but remotly in the top 20 and I went to all the opening days and never found either 3 of them for me. I don't see why that's so hard to understand. I am not going to go to a university and spend 3 years bored the hell out of my brain with lame ass students and no activities.

The only problem I have with greenwhich is there drop-out rate, but I am still thinking, so..
Reply 67
Zebedee Funk
If you genuinely believe that...then that's your opinion...but i'm afraid that most employers would have similar views to us.

I don't see why employers would do that, someone leaving oxford with a 2.1 and someone leaving greenwhich with a 2.1 but the person from greenwhich has 2 degrees, I know who'd I would pick.
Reply 68
I know who most employers would pick. 2 degrees means nothing.
Jinxed

I cannot go to uni outside of london and I am not saying why, there's only 3 other university's in london who are anything but remotly in the top 20 and I went to all the opening days and never found either 3 of them for me. I don't see why that's so hard to understand. I am not going to go to a university and spend 3 years bored the hell out of my brain with lame ass students and no activities.

The only problem I have with greenwhich is there drop-out rate, but I am still thinking, so..

It's fair enough that you want to go to a uni at which you feel happy and comfortable. However I contest your assertion that UCL has 'no activities' :mad:
Reply 70
LuverlyLawyer
Well you can keep telling yourself that when you repeatedly get turned down for TC after TC because they want people with a degree from a top university and you can tell them that in all the interviews you go to and see what they say and then when they turn you down you can phone them up and tell them again.

If this was the case, then surly the other 100's of university's wouldn't allow law to be studied at there university. No one yet has shown me proof of what you guys say is correct and I know 4 people (1 went to middlesex/2 went to kingston and 1 went to imperial) and they ALL own there own smaller firms now)
Reply 71
Onearmedbandit
It's fair enough that you want to go to a uni at which you feel happy and comfortable. However I contest your assertion that UCL has 'no activities' :mad:

What does UCL have? I couldn't see anything on there website.
Jinxed

Like i said...Greenwich is your choice..i have no problem with that. However, i don't see how you can maintain that Oxbridge and other top universities are nothing special.

In addition, pretty much all the universities people here have mentioned as alternatives have great law courses, and the students who go there aren't "lame ass" and they offer huge numbers of activities to get involved in.
Reply 73
viviki
I know who most employers would pick. 2 degrees means nothing.

By thaty definition 1 degrees doesn't mean anything either, lucky I have work experience in a law firm doesn't it. :wink:
Jinxed

What does Greenwich offer that other universities suggested don't??

Out of interest...where did you apply to?
Reply 75
Zebedee Funk
Like i said...Greenwich is your choice..i have no problem with that. However, i don't see how you can maintain that Oxbridge and other top universities are nothing special.

In addition, pretty much all the universities people here have mentioned as alternatives have great law courses, and the students who go there aren't "lame ass" and they offer huge numbers of activities to get involved in.

I know where you are coming from but to me.. yes me, oxford is nothing special, it may be your dream to go there and you've had that goal your while life but I certainly have not.
Jinxed
I know where you are coming from but to me.. yes me, oxford is nothing special, it may be your dream to go there and you've had that goal your while life but I certainly have not.

What I'm interested in is why you believe oxford is nothing special....if you gave us reasons for it, then it'd be easier to accept your view. So far all you've done is repeat your statement, whilst we've given lots of reasons why Oxford is a great university for law
Reply 77
Jinxed
By thaty definition 1 degrees doesn't mean anything either, lucky I have work experience in a law firm doesn't it. :wink:

A degree from Oxford would mean alot more than the same degree from Greenwich and someone from OX is prob far more able to command better work experience.
Jinxed

I thought you went to the open days :rolleyes:
Reply 79
Zebedee Funk
What does Greenwich offer that other universities suggested don't??

Out of interest...where did you apply to?

I asked you that first.

Greenwich [Accepted]
Hertfordshire [Still thinking]
METU [No way]

Latest

Trending

Trending