The Student Room Group

Resignation Letter - help!

Basically I need to hand in my letter of resignation so have a couple of questions:

1) Is it weird for me to leave my resignation letter on my manager's desk when she doens't have any inkling that I wanted to leave/I haven't spoken to her about my problems/that I need to leave?

2) Would this be acceptable - I used a template -

''Dear Mr./Ms. Manager:

Please accept this letter as my formal notice of resignation from X, effective on X. My reasons for this are that X happened and thus I feel it necessarily to return home, as well as the fact that X.

I have truly enjoyed my employment here and appreciate all I have learned and feel very sad about having to leave, but I don't have any other option but to return home for the foreseeable future. X has been a great company to work for, and I have enjoyed working with the great friends I made in my three months employment here.

I hope that this two-week notice is sufficient for you to find a replacement for me.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to work here.
Sincerely,

(my signature)

My Name

3) Do I need to give specific reasons for why I am leaving my job to my manager? Or should this be done over the phone? It's just I don't really want her to know about my personal life/awkward phone conversation...

Thanks!
ilovetsr1990x
Basically I need to hand in my letter of resignation so have a couple of questions:

1) Is it weird for me to leave my resignation letter on my manager's desk when she doens't have any inkling that I wanted to leave/I haven't spoken to her about my problems/that I need to leave?

2) Would this be acceptable - I used a template -

''Dear Mr./Ms. Manager:

Please accept this letter as my formal notice of resignation from X, effective on X. My reasons for this are that X happened and thus I feel it necessarily to return home, as well as the fact that X.

I have truly enjoyed my employment here and appreciate all I have learned and feel very sad about having to leave, but I don't have any other option but to return home for the foreseeable future. X has been a great company to work for, and I have enjoyed working with the great friends I made in my three months employment here.

I hope that this two-week notice is sufficient for you to find a replacement for me.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to work here.
Sincerely,

(my signature)

My Name

3) Do I need to give specific reasons for why I am leaving my job to my manager? Or should this be done over the phone? It's just I don't really want her to know about my personal life/awkward phone conversation...

Thanks!

You don't need to go into detail about why you want to leave, just state personal reasons, they don't need to know anymore than that! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Read your contract to find out how long that notice period is, make sure you have it right.
Reply 3
ilovetsr1990x

in honesty, yes. it would be more standard to find her and tell her in person that you need to leave, and then give her your letter by hand. its just more personal.
ilovetsr1990x
2) Would this be acceptable

that seems like quite a good template. it clearly states the reasons and its good to mention that you enjoyed working.
ilovetsr1990x

you dont need to give any reason if you dont want to, but i'd give as much information as you're willing to give without feeling uncomfortable. you dont use a phone to resign - resignations are put on file and need to be done in writing.
Tell the manager in person first, it's a far nicer way of doing it (read: better referrals)
Reply 5
Palmski
in honesty, yes. it would be more standard to find her and tell her in person that you need to leave, and then give her your letter by hand. its just more personal.

that seems like quite a good template. it clearly states the reasons and its good to mention that you enjoyed working.

you dont need to give any reason if you dont want to, but i'd give as much information as you're willing to give without feeling uncomfortable. you dont use a phone to resign - resignations are put on file and need to be done in writing.

Thanks for your reply! So could I just phone in tomorrow morning (given that tomorrow is two weeks from when I am due to leave town)- explain my situation on the phone and then take in the formal letter in the evening when my shift starts? As I have done nothing wrong during my time with the company, do they have a duty to allow me to work my notice? They can't just let me go, can they (this is a large chain)??
Reply 6
ilovetsr1990x
Thanks for your reply! So could I just phone in tomorrow morning (given that tomorrow is two weeks from when I am due to leave town)- explain my situation on the phone and then take in the formal letter in the evening when my shift starts? As I have done nothing wrong during my time with the company, do they have a duty to allow me to work my notice? They can't just let me go, can they (this is a large chain)??

calling tomorrow seems like a good idea to me. an even better one would be going in personally and talking to your manager, but im not sure of your situation or how possible that is for you. i'd say the best way to look at it is from your managers point of view - if you were in her shoes, what would be the best approach for one of her employees to leave? most likely it would be a personal talk wih her just letting her know the general outline of why your leaving, and letting her know that you have enjoyed your time with them. as rizzletastic says, remember who has to write your reference :smile:

i'd be lying if i said i knew whether you were legally entitled to work your notice. saying that, the notice period is protection for the employer rather than the employee, and i cant immediately think of a reason that they would ask you not to fulfil your notice.
Reply 7
ilovetsr1990x

if the company wanted to dismiss you, except for reasons of gross misconduct, you would probably be entitled to a period of notice anyway.
Reply 8
Hey all! Thanks for your help. I went in this evening and handed in my notice - I was sos surprised at how nice they were about it... Both of the managers looked really gutted that I was going but were so so friendly :sad: I feel like a really bad person now.

Latest

Trending

Trending