The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
jinglepupskye
Many of the graduates won't work because Daddy is rich enough that they don't need to.

Many will marry, have children and not work at all outside the house.

Many will get normal, routine, boring jobs just like the rest of the plebs. For example, teaching.

A few will get high status jobs and earn lots of money.

Simply going to Oxbridge doesn't mean that you even want a high powered job. You may have other interests or you might be more interested in solving world poverty.

And in the end, there is nothing wrong with mediocrity. You can have the most wonderful car in the world but if it doesn't have wheels then it is useless.

The people who are the wheels of society and the ones who would be most missed are the ones who do the boring jobs of working in factories producing your food, or driving the lorries that get it into the shops. We can live without MPs or Lawyers, but try living without nurses or teachers.

Judging by the dispondant tone of the comment I assume you failed in your attempt to go to Oxbridge? or you are
possibley resigned to the fact you are not of the level of intellect needed.
Also nice stereotyping, everyone who attends Oxbridge is rich and pompus.
jinglepupskye
Many of the graduates won't work because Daddy is rich enough that they don't need to.

Many will marry, have children and not work at all outside the house.

Many will get normal, routine, boring jobs just like the rest of the plebs. For example, teaching.

A few will get high status jobs and earn lots of money.

Simply going to Oxbridge doesn't mean that you even want a high powered job. You may have other interests or you might be more interested in solving world poverty.

And in the end, there is nothing wrong with mediocrity. You can have the most wonderful car in the world but if it doesn't have wheels then it is useless.

The people who are the wheels of society and the ones who would be most missed are the ones who do the boring jobs of working in factories producing your food, or driving the lorries that get it into the shops. We can live without MPs or Lawyers, but try living without nurses or teachers.

Well-said and said well.
PCS
Judging by the dispondant tone of the comment I assume you failed in your attempt to go to Oxbridge? or you are
possibley resigned to the fact you are not of the level of intellect needed.
Also nice stereotyping, everyone who attends Oxbridge is rich and pompus.

Nice to see that you can only read one line despite your education!

It would have been pointless applying to Oxbridge because they don't do Physiotherapy, and as I want most desperately to be a physiotherapist it would not have been a good career move.

In any case, I am so impoverished that I could never afford to move there to study even if they did do Physiotherapy. Which is why I only applied to local universities.

And may I assume that you meant 'despondent'.
heya,

can i just say my brother got an unconditional place at uni to do youth and comunitiy studies based on low AS grades, experience ands the promise to take a gap yr doing youth work, gave up on his a levels so failed them, went through 3yrs of uni came out with a 2:1 is now a fully qualified youth worker, has no money but i happy he's now engaged and getting married in august and is actually for the 1st time in his life pretty happy :biggrin: - proof that a levels in reality mean nothing!

i got 5 conidtional offers at uni all with the needed grades being the lower end of the brackets based on average GCSE's and average AS's (4) i have just done 3 A levels (biology, sociology and psychology) and was stressed enough with that! so my PS must have meant something!
sorafdfs
Duh, what's 5 As if you're homeless?

What i think illy123 is trying to get at is that fame and clebrity by not working for it (ie being born into money or being very beeautiful from a young age and thus a model) is not seen as an achievement as say winning a Nobel Prize due to the fact that only few famous people make a very profound and indelible mark on the human race as a whole compareed to people who make leaps in academic areas.

As in an actor may entertain people for his or her lifetime but once he dies there isn't much of a legacy. Yet people like Alexander Fleming are long dead but his discovery is vital to modern medicine and is used by hundreds of millions of people daily.
Reply 105
If you look at the figures,

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php

The average number of UCAS points for entry is equivalent to AAAA+ at Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Durham, Exeter, Bristol, York, Edinburgh etc

Although most universities still base offers on 3 A-Levels, so does it really make any sense in taking more than 3 or 4?
Reply 106
im taking 5 because my two career choices are vet and engineer

for vet i need bio and chem
for engineering i need maths, further maths and physics

Latest