The Student Room Group

A-Level choices

I made a thread similar to this a few months ago, however my options have changed slightly since then.

At the moment, 4 subjects that I am sure about taking, are -

Maths
Further Maths
English Lit
Physics

For my 5th option, I am strongly considering taking a science - however I'm not sure which one, Biology or Chemistry. I know Chemistry is well respected by universities, and my teacher thinks that I am capable of doing well at A-Level. On the other hand, considering my other options (Further Maths and English Lit), I'm not sure if Chemistry will be too much to handle. From what I've heard, Biology is slightly easier than Chemistry, and it's not as demanding as Chemistry. To be honest, I enjoy Chemistry and Biology equally, and so neither of them is popping out at me.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out, and give me their advice about which science I should take. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? Anyway, I would really appreciate any help! :smile:

Also, on a separate note, how demanding is English Lit?
Reply 1
Chemistry is supposed to be straightforward calculations and introductions at AS, while it's more difficult at A2. However, if you don't mind working hard, and you're smart (which I'm sure you are), I would choose Chemistry.
English Lit isn't demanding at all. Just ensure you attend all the lessons and then do all the reading. Tbh, you have to read like 3 books in AS year and 3 + synoptic (unless that's changed) in your A2 year so like, that's not really hard.

Chemistry is way better than Biology but then again they kind of go together well...I'd probably say take both and drop Further Maths or something. But you seem quite Mathsy and Chemistry/Physics/Maths/Further Maths is a popular combo. (Biology is a bit easier, yes, but maybe not with your combination).
Reply 3
I found English Lit fairly demanding - probably the most consistently hard throughout the year - but this does vary from each board, you do have less to do around exam time, and it will vary from person to person. It isn't an easy A Level for most.
As for which science to choose, from everyone I've spoken too that does science, there seems to be a 50:50 split of who likes chemistry/biology more, probably because they're different enough to appeal to different kinds of people. They're both just as respected, I'd have said, for most degrees, but I'm not a science person, so I'm open to correction. I'd say do whichever you think you'll do best on and enjoy the most.
Why not consider another humanities/arts to support that English Lit? If it's definitely a science, then its a personal choice between biology and chemistry for you to make :smile:
Reply 4
There is sooo much to learn for biology- e.g. random organelle names etc.

I always found chemistry easier (even if my grades weren't as good), simply because more of the marks are down to using logic to find answers (rather than remembering a mole of ATP provides 30KJmol^-1... and other random things.)
Reply 5
Four ASs would suffice.

As mentioned, you sound more like a 'mathsy' person (and from personal experience and what other people tell me, you are either good at maths or English (not always the case)). I suggest you replace it for another science, such as chemistry.
Reply 6
What you want to take in the future? As you'll taking 5, I'll say Biology as it's less taxing (no one I've meet has achieved 5As btw)

Latest