The Student Room Group

Should I even bother?

I've just spent two years at college studying A levels that will not help me get on a medicine course only to realise that I want to do medicine again(I wanted to do it since I was a kid but kinda forget about it when I started college).

I've applied for another course at uni for this september but I think I'll be alot happier if I at least try to get accepted onto a medicine course for the next academic year. Seeing as I have none of the appropriate A levels, I'de have to take Chemistry and Biology this coming year, for which I'm not going to be returning to college. I'm sure self teaching them won't be too much of a problem. I'm predicted AAA anyway so it's not as if I lack the ability, although I suspect I'll end up with AAB.

I've always had the idea of a gap year in the back of my head anyway so it wouldn't be that bad if I had to take one, although I realise it won't be as fun as I first had in mind due to the extra work-load. During the year, I'll be looking to get work at one of local hospitals which should take care of the work experience I'll probably need to put on my PS

Anyway, to the question(s)... Would medical look down on me for taking another year to get these A levels? Would it be acceptable to put future work experience in my PS as opposed to past work experience? Do I have any chance of getting into medical school or should I just stick with my original degree?
how about trying an access course to med? it's for those that don't have the right[science] a levels. but it's competitive but im sure you'll have a shot as, as you said, you're predicted AAA and you have the ability:smile:
notanytimesoon
how about trying an access course to med? it's for those that don't have the right[science] a levels. but it's competitive but im sure you'll have a shot as, as you said, you're predicted AAA and you have the ability:smile:

Aww, just realised that whole ability thing probably made me sound abit arrogant... ah well, it's done now.

Is an access course the same thing as foundation course? I've thought about it, but that would be a year out and then a year at uni before I actually start the proper degree. I'de rather just take one year to get the sufficient A levels and then start the degree. Unless a foundation course is likely to be in clearing? I doubt it though.
it's your call, give it a shot if you want-there'd be nothing to lose would there and you could start the alevels if you are ''rejected'' so again nothing lost? Just an idea!
And no you didn't sound arrogant...well not to me:p:
Also 2 a levels in one year-good luck..bio and chem:hmmmm: is all I'm saying:p:
Reply 4
If you aren't going back to college how will you do your coursework and/or any lab work required? You might get away with it for bio but don't you need some sort of lab access for chem?
Sarky
If you aren't going back to college how will you do your coursework and/or any lab work required? You might get away with it for bio but don't you need some sort of lab access for chem?

lol... yea I know, I'm still in the early stages of figuring things out though. There must be some way for me to do it though. One of the colleges near me does lots of evening things, they could probably be of some use.

Assuming this isn't possible though, If I were to phone up some unis now do you think I'de be able to get on a foundation course for the 09/10 academic year?
Reply 6
MellowedConfession
lol... yea I know, I'm still in the early stages of figuring things out though. There must be some way for me to do it though. One of the colleges near me does lots of evening things, they could probably be of some use.

Assuming this isn't possible though, If I were to phone up some unis now do you think I'de be able to get on a foundation course for the 09/10 academic year?

No.

They are very very competitive and will have filled up their spaces (and be running reserves lists). You can apply for 10/11 entry once UCAS reopens though.

You can try enrolling in evening classes if you can find somewhere that offers them for you. Funding has been cut for over 19's so i'm not sure how that would change things for you, and there are hardly any places that offer A level bio and chem in the evening now.
You could go back to sixth form (ie. during the day) and do A2 level chem and bio in a year. I have no idea about details but perhaps that's possible? I imagine it would be somewhere.
Reply 8
MellowedConfession
I've just spent two years at college studying A levels that will not help me get on a medicine course only to realise that I want to do medicine again(I wanted to do it since I was a kid but kinda forget about it when I started college)..........

:rofl: :rofl: Best. Part. Of. The. Post. Period.
Reply 9
Look at Bradford Clinical Sciences Foundation course..it's for people who don't have a scientific background and you can use it to apply to Med schools

Latest

Trending

Trending