The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

steff53
Just did UKCAT this morning and didn't do that well.
613 average.
The UKCAT unis I've applied to are:

Nottingham
Leicester
Leeds

As far as I'm aware there is no UKCAT cut off at these unis. Would anyone know anything else about if it is a good idea to apply to these..Or I should change one to a non UKCAT uni..REALLY would appreciate any help!

Nottingham have a cut off score. I don't know what it is but I think it's higher than 650. If your grades are excellent you might still get interviewed. Peninsula don't have a cut off score. I got interviewed last year with a really low UKCAT.
hopes
where did you get the figure of 640 from? they interviewed as low as 625 as far as i recall, i have 637.5 and im applying. They rank you in terms of points based on grades achieved/predicted alongside ukcat.

Peninsula don't have a cut off score. I got interviewed last year with a UKCAT lower than 640. If your grade prediction are slightly higher than the grades they require you have a good chance of getting an interview. If you have achieved your grades and you meet their grade requirements, a low UKCAT doesn't mean you'll be rejected automatically.
greenford
Just did my Ukcat now and got 560:frown:
Im applying to
UEA
KCL
Soutamoton

foundation bm6 courses...do u think I have a chance????

Please help me

You can put KCL EMDP and Soton BM6 as your choices. Both are very competitive. Infact the odds of getting into the BM6 are lower than the BM5. (More applicants per place for the BM6). But if your ps is good and your AS and predicted grades are good you have a good chance of getting an interview.
1993 rose bud
I''m scheduled to do the bmat in november, but what if that goes bad as well? I just want to make sure that I dont waste any application space on my ucas form......do you know of any ukcat unis that dont heavily rely on it?

I would say Peninsula based on my experience
Reply 784
Hey
Does anyone know what the UKCAT cut off for Manchester was last year?
my ukcat is tomorrow. I AM BRICKING IT. seriously, i feel so unprepared.
m0man
Hey
Does anyone know what the UKCAT cut off for Manchester was last year?

Reply 787
I'm thinking of applying to Manchester with a UKCAT of 687.5, is it worth it?
hopes
where did you get the figure of 640 from? they interviewed as low as 625 as far as i recall, i have 637.5 and im applying. They rank you in terms of points based on grades achieved/predicted alongside ukcat.

OOps sorry. Brain fart! It's Glasgow & Warwick with a 640 cut-off
Reply 789
hi there, i was wondering if you could help me out a bit... I am really anxious about getting into medicine as i have not the best gcse grades and ukcat score (4A* 4A 2B and 602.5) My AS grades were ok AAAB and i am predicted 2A*S and 1A. What do you think my chances are for medicine at leeds. I am also applying for liverpool ucl and leicester.
diskohuelga
my ukcat is tomorrow. I AM BRICKING IT. seriously, i feel so unprepared.

Just don't have a mental breakdown like I did. So embarassing.

And you can do the AR is you spend 45secs or less deciphering the patterns and 13secs or less on eash shape (600Q book guidelines)

Don't freak out!
No need to feel 'unprepared' when you don't really know what will come up, it's not memory but technique.
Here is a site which details how the unis use the UKCAT: http://www.medical-interviews.co.uk/UKCAT-exam.aspx
Reply 792
Sorry to keep asking questions, but do newcastle have a cutoff? If yes, then what was it last year?
Thanks alot :biggrin:
Reply 793
Hi, i did badly in my UKCAT, im just wondering if theres any point of me applying to do medicine anywhere, not including liverpool.

UKCAT- Average 550
QR-610 :/
VR-510
DA-500
AR- 580

Ive been ill and currently ill, ive had a really bad flu, i probably would have done better if i was felling better :/

AS results
Biology- A
Chemistry- A
Maths- A
Business studies- B (dropping it at As)

Gcse results: 4 A*, 3 A's and 4 B's , again, nothing compared to the grades on this site with all A*s. With A in maths. A*A* in science and B in english.

I have been volunteering at a hospice for a few months, and been volunteering at a hospital for a few months.
I don't know if the UKCAT people allow extenuating circumstances (which yours might be if you produce relevant doctors notes etc?) but your grades and work experience sound decent :smile: give it a shot! and remember there's unis that don't want ukcat or want the bmat instead.
Reply 795
As long as your predicted grade is +AAB then you have several other options. What is worrying is that you cannot find them even though you only have ~10 days to send of your UCAS application.
Apart from your low UKCAT result, your exam grades seem rather good overall, especially your AS results. Why not apply to unis which don't really take the UKCAT into consideration, or unis which don't require the test at all. Look through unis websites, prospectuses or even phone them up to find out more in greater detail. If you go for these types of unis, then i'd say that you have a good chance of getting an interview at least, since your work experience/voluntary work is valuble (and long-term). Remember to try and also have a great PS and good references, as these will probs boost your chances! :smile:
m0man
Sorry to keep asking questions, but do newcastle have a cutoff? If yes, then what was it last year?
Thanks alot :biggrin:

Yes, and I believe it was something around the 650 mark last year.
Reply 798
a moist feeling
Yes, and I believe it was something around the 650 mark last year.

Hmm
My UKCAT is 687.5, reckon it's worth the risk? It's probably unlikely the cut-off will increase by more than 30, but tbh this year has loads of great UKCAT results. What to do :s
Ah ****.
m0man
Hmm
My UKCAT is 687.5, reckon it's worth the risk? It's probably unlikely the cut-off will increase by more than 30, but tbh this year has loads of great UKCAT results. What to do :s
Ah ****.

I reckon you will be fine with that score. It is a fantastic score :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending