The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is there a thread or wiki that details the admissions systems for each med school? (e.g points out of twenty etc..) ?
Reply 981
Original post by thesalamander123
Is there a thread or wiki that details the admissions systems for each med school? (e.g points out of twenty etc..) ?

Unlikely to be the most informative answer: I haven't come across such a website, but your best bet is to narrow down your selections of unis based on other criteria (check out the curriculum of the unis you think your grades/other qualities will get you into, then take a look at TSR uni guides and see what uni-but-not-subject specific checkboxes each tick for you) and then go to the relevant Open Days. They will undoubtedly walk you through their admissions process on the actual open day, but you can look for clues beforehand on the university admissions website for info such as y/n on interviews etc.
For OD, book early - and do go. I personally only went to Cam(D) and Edinburgh open days as they are my top two choices, and I found both of them quite helpful. Especially if you're planning to apply to Cam (what I had experience with anyway, cannot speak for Ox), I found it really helpful as the tutor boasted of selling points of their specific course that particularly appealed to me, and I was able to gush about these points enthusiastically come my Supplementary Application Questionnaire.
Original post by Cartry

Original post by Cartry
Unlikely to be the most informative answer: I haven't come across such a website, but your best bet is to narrow down your selections of unis based on other criteria (check out the curriculum of the unis you think your grades/other qualities will get you into, then take a look at TSR uni guides and see what uni-but-not-subject specific checkboxes each tick for you) and then go to the relevant Open Days. They will undoubtedly walk you through their admissions process on the actual open day, but you can look for clues beforehand on the university admissions website for info such as y/n on interviews etc.
For OD, book early - and do go. I personally only went to Cam(D) and Edinburgh open days as they are my top two choices, and I found both of them quite helpful. Especially if you're planning to apply to Cam (what I had experience with anyway, cannot speak for Ox), I found it really helpful as the tutor boasted of selling points of their specific course that particularly appealed to me, and I was able to gush about these points enthusiastically come my Supplementary Application Questionnaire.

Cool :smile: open days look useful, will book asap
I got an avr UKCAT score of 602. I know it could be worse, but it could be a hella lot better! Anyway, i applied to Soton but they don't even consider applications who get the bottom 25%! Anyone got an idea of wat score the bottom 25% is this year? I am SOO borderline, it SCARES me!
Reply 984
Original post by Aspiring Doctor
I got an avr UKCAT score of 602. I know it could be worse, but it could be a hella lot better! Anyway, i applied to Soton but they don't even consider applications who get the bottom 25%! Anyone got an idea of wat score the bottom 25% is this year? I am SOO borderline, it SCARES me!

You should be okay but that's only a guess. I would think the bottom 25% would be below a score of 600, but you'd be awfully close to that cutoff anyway...
Original post by Beska
You should be okay but that's only a guess. I would think the bottom 25% would be below a score of 600, but you'd be awfully close to that cutoff anyway...

Good news, the cut-off for soton has been announced! it is 2310! It has gone down from last year!

Further to the publication of national UKCAT overall scores, please note that the cut-off score for 2011 entry for BM4 & BM5 is 2310 (ie applicants scoring below 2310 will not have their application considered further). November 2010.
Reply 986
Good news, the cut-off for soton has been announced! it is 2310! It has gone down from last year!

Further to the publication of national UKCAT overall scores, please note that the cut-off score for 2011 entry for BM4 & BM5 is 2310 (ie applicants scoring below 2310 will not have their application considered further). November 2010.

Well then, there we have it! :wink:
Beska, where did you apply?
And how was your UKCAT? :wink:
Reply 988
Beska, where did you apply?
And how was your UKCAT? :wink:

I've applied to Nottingham, Sheffield, Newcastle and Barts & The London.

My UKCAT was 705 average. :smile:
Original post by Beska
I've applied to Nottingham, Sheffield, Newcastle and Barts & The London.

My UKCAT was 705 average. :smile:

Woww that is awesome :smile:
So how did you actually practice for you UKCAT, and were you interested in medicine at oxbridge at all?
I applied to cambridge!
Reply 990
Woww that is awesome :smile:
So how did you actually practice for you UKCAT, and were you interested in medicine at oxbridge at all?
I applied to cambridge!

Just the standard resources - the 600Q book and stuff like did. Did about 2-3 weeks of practice beforehand.

I applied to BMAT medical schools (including Oxford) last year and were rejected by them, and as I'm a reapplicant I didn't want to apply to universities where I had a good chance of being rejected outright if I didn't do well on my BMAT. Hence the UKCAT universities this year.
Original post by Beska
Just the standard resources - the 600Q book and stuff like did. Did about 2-3 weeks of practice beforehand.

I applied to BMAT medical schools (including Oxford) last year and were rejected by them, and as I'm a reapplicant I didn't want to apply to universities where I had a good chance of being rejected outright if I didn't do well on my BMAT. Hence the UKCAT universities this year.

Laaame. But good luck this year :smile:
I'm pretty sure my BMAT is not gonna be good...
So i just gotta hope that SOMEWHERE accepts me. I have an interview at Cambridge- but i doubt that'll be successful
Original post by Hongieee
yeahh, you can transfer but only if you're predicted at least 2:1 degree by the end of your second year.
And only 15 people can tranfers but i dont know what their intake is for that course, so the odds might be alright actually.

No they say that but the actual intake is like 7 if that
Original post by Hongieee
yeahh, you can transfer but only if you're predicted at least 2:1 degree by the end of your second year.
And only 15 people can tranfers but i dont know what their intake is for that course, so the odds might be alright actually.

No they say that but the actual intake is like 7 if that they interview like 20
Reply 994
It is not the end.

5 Boys from my year have got interviews for medicine already to UKCAT unis - and they all recieved an average score lower than 600 in their UKCAT.
Does anyone know the cut-off for peninsula?
Apparently it was announced today but i can't find it on their website
Edit: Typo

Damn im like ten questions out
Oh Well.
Focus on Leeds,Sotton and Bsms now
Thankyou
Hey i was wondering what would my chances of getting an offer from cardiff be.

i got 690 average for my ukcat , predicted A*AA in biology chemistry and maths

although i only have 5 gcse at grade B-C :frown:
Reply 999
Which universities should I apply to with a very low UKCAT score(507): Cardiff, Dundee, Manchester, Sheffield, Keele?

Latest

Trending

Trending