The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Misogynist
There is no 'catching up' to do. Men and women don't work as seperate entities. For example, I'm working on a scientific study at the minute that'll be published in a journal of neurology. Any woman could go and take that study and expand on it. I'm not going to put a big 'only for men' label on it.

I really doubt females out do males education wise world wide consistently. Even if they do - it isn't a better measure than an IQ test for determining raw intelligence. Males are more intelligent than females - that is a scientific fact. Saying otherwise would be wrong, as this has been determined time and time again. Even if IQ tests aren't accurate, they are the most accurate tools we have at the minute to prove the hypothesis.

Maybe females are paid less because they aren't deemed as important or useful? Maybe this isn't discrimination but actual concern?

How is that not discrimination? If a woman is equally qualified, what is the employer basing this opinion on of whether the woman is 'useful' or not?
Misogynist
Look up g loaded IQ tests or the g factor. (A technique invented by men.)

I object to intelligence tests. Read Stephen Jay Gould.

All tests are flawed, but often there is no alternative. We certainly shouldn't use them to determine native intelligence.
PrinceValiant
The fact that men have dominated the world for so long proves that they must be naturally more intelligent than women otherwise they couldn't have dominated. Surely the gender that allows itself to be dominated for so long must be the weaker in mind?

Please don't respond with "men used their physical prowess" to dominate the world because if that were the case then black people would have dominated the world before white people.

It is more complex than you say. It does not logically follow that because men have dominated, they must be more intelligent. Similarly, you seem to suggest that black people are physically stronger than white people. Why then, did they 'allow' themselves to become slaves? It is not simply a case of allowing oneself to be dominated; men got themselves into a position where they could subjucate the opposite sex, and established a patriachal society which perpetuated this.
Reaver
Yeah... you completely misunderstand, good job.

Perhaps the failure is in your ineloquence.
Misogynist
There is no 'catching up' to do. Men and women don't work as seperate entities. For example, I'm working on a scientific study at the minute that'll be published in a journal of neurology. Any woman could go and take that study and expand on it. I'm not going to put a big 'only for men' label on it.

I really doubt females out do males education wise world wide consistently. Even if they do - it isn't a better measure than an IQ test for determining raw intelligence. Males are more intelligent than females - that is a scientific fact. Saying otherwise would be wrong, as this has been determined time and time again. Even if IQ tests aren't accurate, they are the most accurate tools we have at the minute to prove the hypothesis.

Maybe females are paid less because they aren't deemed as important or useful? Maybe this isn't discrimination but actual concern?

Surely females are paid the same as males now in the same job?
Olivia_Lightbulb
It is more complex than you say. It does not logically follow that because men have dominated, they must be more intelligent. Similarly, you seem to suggest that black people are physically stronger than white people. Why then, did they 'allow' themselves to become slaves? It is not simply a case of allowing oneself to be dominated; men got themselves into a position where they could subjucate the opposite sex, and established a patriachal society which perpetuated this.

You work it out Sherlock.
Reply 186
Jonty99

I know but Clements- says that isn't the case. :s-smilie:
Misogynist

Hey, I'm only going on statistics. Don't shoot the ******* messenger.
Reply 188
PrinceValiant

Are you suggesting white people are more intelligent than black people?
Jonty99

They aren't. Partly due to discrimination, and partly due to women working fewer hours due to things like responsibility for childcare.
Reply 190
Olivia_Lightbulb
Perhaps the failure is in your ineloquence.

It's trivial to dwell on that, really.
No, that's not where the failure lies. You're just not willing or are unable to grasp a basic concept for what it really is.
Misogynist

It's been shown that they're more educated. But, given equal educational opportunities, I guess it's unclear what the difference would be. Intelligence can be built upon by education so if their less educated in general, I'm guessing that's what they're referring to. Either that, or they're just saying it for the sheer hell of it.
Deadly Lightshade
They aren't. Partly due to discrimination, and partly due to women working fewer hours due to things like responsibility for childcare.

Why is it discrimination? Do you mean that if a woman was doing exactly the same job as the man, she'd get paid less? (Taking into account her working less hours for children etc - that's her choice)
Misogynist

Like women and men, black and white, you can't say that every member of one race/gender is smarter than every member of the other but you can generalise. And for me, generally white people are more intelligent than black people. Just as black people, in general, have greater physical attributes.
PrinceValiant

What point are you trying to make?
Reply 195
Deadly Lightshade

Wrong. If that were the case the company would get blown up in court.

The child care could be right. But hey, if you churned out a baby and work fewer hours, you can't blame the company. You only recieve an equal amount to what you give.
PygmyShrew
I honestly think the world would be a better place. Maybe there wouldn't have been the same advancements in technology and engineering as it would take some time for women to catch up in that respect, but people would survive and the worst crimes (murder, rape, assault, paedophilic acts) would barely exist in comparison to now. I think women would be better at being less aggressive and more diplomatic, therefore wars would be less of a problem. War and the need for military power has driven the advancement of a lot of technology, but it is not necessary to survive adequately. I think there would be more economic equality worldwide as I believe women would be more empathic towards the problems of other countries. Things like AIDs may have never come in to existance. I think there would be much less oppression in the name of religion. Less time spent on development of military capabilities and more time spent on cures for diseases.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone. I can't help but feel that women are generally more caring.

However, nobody can even begin to know how women would respond if the responsibility for the world was placed on their shoulders.

The biggest myth the world has ever created! Did you got to school ffs?
Misogynist
Wrong. If that were the case the company would get blown up in court.

The child care could be right. But hey, if you churned out a baby and work fewer hours, you can't blame the company. You only recieve an equal amount to what you give.

Well yeah, exactly why I'm never having kids. I'm not having my earnings slashed for something I don't even like. However, this doesn't get rid of the problem of employers assuming women will have a child. Because they're probably quite rightly going to do this. I can see why they don't want to take the risk, after all, how are they supposed to know whether a woman is going to have kids or not, especially now that employers aren't allowed to ask anymore.
Jonty99
Why is it discrimination? Do you mean that if a woman was doing exactly the same job as the man, she'd get paid less? (Taking into account her working less hours for children etc - that's her choice)

Statistically, a woman working full-time in the same profession is likely to earn less than a man. The catch here is, I think, what 'full-time' means. Men can choose to work extra hours, whereas women with childcare duties/housework often cannot. Men are more flexible in travel and impromptu arrangements for much the same reason. The woman meets the requirements of the job, the man does more than his job requires.

EHRC report on gender pay in the financial sector: In the highest earning roles full-time female employees earn 45% less an hour than men, while in the lowest-paid roles women receive 16% less on average.

EDIT: I'd note the pay gap in general is not near as bad in other sectors. But the statistics are compelling.
Misogynist

I wouldn't say that in all cases women earn less than men but it's not entirely uncommon.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/nov/15/pay-equality-women-money

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7229195.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1488437.stm

Latest

Trending

Trending