The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have this too. When i lie down, the bottom left side of my ribcage sticks out more than me right side (which appears to be normal looking). I dont think its anything to worry about. Its just unique i guess!
Reply 2
Think mine's the same.
as long as it doesn'r click and it wasn't the product of an alledged assault by someone at school
Reply 4
same, the right cavity sticks out more than the left, i went to the doctors and they said it was something to do with my sudden growth spurt
Reply 5
I have the same. Don't worry! :]
it's normal
Reply 7
It's perfectly normal. Believe me.

My boyo had scoliosis and after his operation his ribs joined up to the wrong ones. Now that is an uneven ribcage.

Also depends on how old you are. Like some have said, because of your growth spurt, my brother had the same and it evened out over time.
I'm also a little worried about my lack of body symmetry. My concern is with not having the same level of strength on both sides. Ideally you should carry bags over both shoulders and if you go to the gym exercise both arms separately and the same level.
Reply 9
For your heart?
Reply 10
yeah, my bottom left ribs protrude rather obviously. I had an x ray and it was completely clear, so doubt it's much to worry about :smile:
oh god I don't have this...now I feel abnormal
Reply 12
You've probably got a mild form of pectus excavatum, which is pretty common. It usually means that the centre of your chest goes in, but can also mean that the bottom ribs stick out - often unevenly. It can be corrected on the NHS but you have to be on your back to absolutely ages after the operation for the ribs to heal. All in all probably not worth it when it's not damaging to your health.
Reply 13
azhao
For your heart?

Lol no.
Hmm well Ive rowed for the last two years pretty heavily and this has caused a definate muscle imbalance... not fantastic. Just think logically OP what might be causing you to have a sticking out left side... whats on your left side and not on your right that might cause a lack of symmetry somewhere near the breastbone? Under the flesh youll find the body is not the most symmetrical of things!
Reply 15
Mine is exactly the same and I saw someone mentioned about doing weights similarly on both arms or whatever. Well I have always thought it really weird that I can't even grip properly with my left hand (I'm a righty), it is really rather annoying!
Reply 16
My right side sticks out more than my left, it's noramal though :smile:
Reply 17
Mine does the same and I'm kind of worried about it. I've never really paid attention to it though so I can't tell if I've always had it or not. I have always noticed that lying on a hard surface though my left rib is more 'jabby' than my right though so I probably have.

I bind regularly and was experiencing some pain and breathing difficulty last summer which made me have to stop for a while (we still don't know what caused it but it's gone now) so I was initially concerned it was something to do with that but I also got a chest x-ray around that time but it came back clear so I suppose that means it isn't likely. I will still be asking about it my next appointment since I might as well but I doubt it's any cause for concern.
Original post by RJ555
I've noticed recently that my left part of my ribcage sticks out significantly more than my right (which is pretty flat), particularly towards the centre of the chest (near breastbone), it jsut sticks out at a funny angle.

Its abit odd I guess, is this a normal thing, like having two different sized feet? Have had my chest checked over by docs and they've never mentioned it as a concern.

Maybe they're uneven due to scoliosis? An X Ray can determine this.
Reply 19
I have the same

Latest