English
Business
Spanish

Standard:
Maths
Ecosystems
World Politics.

What do I want to do when im older?
I dont know, something linguistic/ business minded probably but not sure.

A teacher had a meeting with myself saying it might be considerable to swap History for Business. His arguments were that Business is almost a "soft subject" and universities don't regard it highly at all. I have never studied Business before, this was also another reason he gave.

However, I am fine doing Business at the moment although I've just started it , I look forward to doing the course etc etc.
Im not a big fan of History. Got a B in my GCSE and decided I didn't want to do it for IB.

Doubts have crept into my head about my choice as my teacher says that History along side English and Spanish higher are a supreme combination to have.
Is Business ( and Management) worth it ? :eek3:
What are your honest opinions?
Dahl's Chickens

Well, I think the advice you've been given is good. Seeing as though we can't know your aptitude for Business given that you've just started it, I'm not sure what more there is to say really. How strong did "it might be considerable" come across to you?
Ive decided to stick with Business. Afterall, it is something Business-y i want to do when Im older, not something to do with History. Plus i don't enjoy or do well in History.
Good for you :top:
That sounds like a good a reason as any.
Reply 44
hii im really confused about what to take for my IB subjects... i want to take computer/IT related courses in uni at the UK...

BUT... my maths isn't that great.. its just average.. probably B-A for IGCSE and ive seen that many uk unis REQUIRE at least maths HL grade 6 for computer related courses...especially the good ones..which i'm guessing will be a struggle for me...

so far i've decided on
English A1 SL
Chinese B HL
Geography HL

the thing is.. i think im more suited for Maths SL from all the posts ive read about Maths HL being really tough...but the uni requirements... :frown: also my english sucks.. worse than maths and science.. so switching that to HL is not an option either..

also since i'm studying at hk... ive a feeling the unis won't like me taking chinese B as one of my HLs but i don't think i can manage A2 chinese as my chinese level is not good enough.

im probably going to be taking chemistry and physics as my last 2 subjects which will mean between maths, chemistry and physics... i need 2 to be HL. the thing is i'm more interested in physics but i'm relli not that strong in it. i'm probably of a B-A standard for my IGCSE double science. also...my school does not offer computer science! so thats not an option either....

should i just take a-levels somewhere else...? my school is only offering IB...... :frown:

thanks guys in advance!!
Well what are you strong at? Geography I presume?

If maths at HL is a requirement for the courses you want to do... either do it, or pick a different future. At least give it a go for a few weeks. As for the other HL, I think you answered your own question
akyt
i'm more interested in physics but i'm relli not that strong in it

If physics interests you more than chem, chances are you'll work harder for it and end up doing better.

But both of these subjects are considered to be very demanding. My two cents.
Reply 46
I am planning to study law in college. I went to the Cambridge website and the law requirements are English and History. I started freaking out...history?! First of all, it was one of the subjects I HATE and I am not good at it. But I really want to study law? So far the subjects that I am planning to take are:

HL English
HL Business and Management
HL Biology

SL Maths Studies
SL Chinese
SL ... haven't chose yet...

Are these subjects okay if I want to study law? MUST I choose history? And I am struggling on the business and management option. Should I do economics instead? People say business is easy, but do colleges prefer economics? I take economics now for GCSE (my exam is on may)

PLEASE ADVICE :smile:
Reply 47
Law needs History and it wld help you to take it at a Higher Level. Bio at a Higher Level wont do you much good, so do it at a SL, since you are planning on doing Law; Law doesn't need Bio. But check if your school/college offers history. B&M wld be a good option if you want to set your own Law firm, but really it depends if you really like the subject. stick to what you like.
Reply 48
cambridge is very competitive and difficut to get into... if u want a safER and a more solid law application i would avise u to take history at SL... I am an SL history student... and personally when i compare it to B&M i think it is easier. Nonetheless, I am still suffering in history partially because it is MY faut but yeah...
You can either choose to take 2 social sciences instead of a group 6 subject ... so u can take both history and B&M... but my personal advice is to drop B&M and take up history and keep ur group 6 subject... however that's my own opinion ... it's up to you...

plus most of my mates who want to do law are taking history and english at HL... even my a-level friends have chosen history as one of their subjects.

anyway! good luck :biggrin:
Reply 49
swirlypop
I am planning to study law in college. I went to the Cambridge website and the law requirements are English and History. I started freaking out...history?! First of all, it was one of the subjects I HATE and I am not good at it. But I really want to study law? So far the subjects that I am planning to take are:

HL English
HL Business and Management
HL Biology

SL Maths Studies
SL Chinese
SL ... haven't chose yet...

Are these subjects okay if I want to study law? MUST I choose history? And I am struggling on the business and management option. Should I do economics instead? People say business is easy, but do colleges prefer economics? I take economics now for GCSE (my exam is on may)

PLEASE ADVICE :smile:

My friend - predicted 45 is applying to Oxford Law
and she doesn't take history!

she takes:

HL Maths
HL Chem
HL Econ
SL English
SL Chinese
SL Physics

I think Economics will be a better option to take then Business. History will be great but if you hate it don't force yourself to take it. Biology HL won't be tooo good.. Bio standard will be fine (since chem and phys are really hard anyway if you don't want to take it) Don't take maths studies because Oxbridge won't like it (apparently, and most unis know it's way easier)... ENGLISH HL is prefered! Though my friend, the predicted 45 one, have won english literature prizes and stuff so... yeah.

For law, it is prefered that you take essay based subjects.

For me, I'd take

HL English A1
HL Economics
HL Physics
SL Biology
SL Maths
SL Chinese

Omg i cannot believe i just typed that..... possibly the most boring combo.. haha

well I'm applying for PPS , cambridge

and my subjects are

HL Theatre Arts
HL chinese
HL Econ
SL maths
SL biology
SL English :s-smilie:

Actually you can take my advice as a rough guide but really - Don't do anything you don't want to do..... Also. As long as you get preds of 40 and above and do really well in your interview and on your PS (also with a strong reference) then you will be fine:smile::smile:
Reply 50
There never really is a fixed requirement.

Most of them ask for a Level 5 in English.
Otherwise, they expect atleast one essay writing subject (and your EE as an essay writing subject).

My choices were:

Maths Higher
Physics Higher
Geography Higher
Chemistry Standard
English Standard
French Standard

EE was in Geography.

As you can see, you don't really need to choose IB Higher English, (I got into Warwick btw).
There is no MUST for history, but if a university (like you said Cambridge) asks for it, you might aswell choose it. My IB advisor/coordinator advised me to choose a subject for my EE which allowed me to write in essay style rather than experimental/report style. So I did my EE in human geography.

BUT, some subjects can help you set up to the law style of learning, higher english, maths, and sciences help with rational thought etc., but shouldn't really give any form of advantage at all, everyone is taught the same thing on the same level.

Remember, if a University asks for specific subjects, take it. Otherwise choose anything, there is a reason why many IB students apply for Law.
Reply 51
WHY DO YOU HAVE TO TAKE HISTORY FOR LAW? I don't really get the....connection here. Just like I don't get the connection why you have to study CHEMISTRY to be a doctor...isn't it all about biology? And isn't law all about...english and law?
Reply 52
swirlypop
WHY DO YOU HAVE TO TAKE HISTORY FOR LAW? I don't really get the....connection here. Just like I don't get the connection why you have to study CHEMISTRY to be a doctor...isn't it all about biology? And isn't law all about...english and law?

Because history is one of the rare subjects where you refer to a pre-determined text to analyse and create an argument. Law is exactly like that, only the pre-determined texts are the Law Journals.

Similarly in the pharmaceutical age, doctors are required to know the chemical composition, allergies etc., of several medicines, hence chemistry is required.

Some branches also require Physics.
Vikaman
Because history is one of the rare subjects where you refer to a pre-determined text to analyse and create an argument. Law is exactly like that, only the pre-determined texts are the Law Journals.

Similarly in the pharmaceutical age, doctors are required to know the chemical composition, allergies etc., of several medicines, hence chemistry is required.

Some branches also require Physics.

It is comical though, that they require Chemistry, but not Biology... :p:
Reply 54
ragnar_jonsson
It is comical though, that they require Chemistry, but not Biology...

Well, the term medicine is ambiguous. It could pertain to the study of healing itself, i.e. the chemical aspects of our body that require a good understand of chemistry.

I think the aspect of medicine that requires biology pertains mostly to surgery.

It is rather weird I agree, but fully justifiable.
Vikaman
Well, the term medicine is ambiguous. It could pertain to the study of healing itself, i.e. the chemical aspects of our body that require a good understand of chemistry.

I think the aspect of medicine that requires biology pertains mostly to surgery.

It is rather weird I agree, but fully justifiable.

V. true, yet they should both be required imo.
Reply 56
Either way, I am not planning to take on Science or Medicine, so that's fine with me. I am, however, planning to take IB BIOLOGY HL but when I looked for some past papers it totally freaked me out. It was sooo hard. Words that I wasn't familiar with and never even THOUGHT COULD EXIST was hitting me in the head. I don't really think I would like to deal with this...any really easy subjects that could get you an easy 6/7?
Reply 57
OK. For many subjects for IB, I have looked through the past papers and each past paper nearly knocked me off my chair. They were sooo hard. I wanted to do biology because I thought it would be interesting, but then looking at the hard-long hard-to-spell words...I thought differently.

I would like to study law. Are these subjects a good combination? And are they too hard? I really cannot do hard subjects, because I suck.

HL English
HL History
HL Business

SL Maths
SL Chinese
SL biology, geography or economics??? PLEASE HELP!

Yeah...to be honest I don't really like history but I want to take on law. Is it an interesting subject? Is it hard? What is it about? I did not take GCSE history...is that okay? Is english HL hard? What about business?
Reply 58
P.S. For the SL subject...I don't want to chose the one I enjoy most. I want to chose the one the easiest. Because, to be honest, I enjoy both biology, geography and economics the same way. So just prefer the easier one.
Don't you have to take a science? I don't take IB though, so I could well be wrong! :o:

Latest

Trending

Trending