The Student Room Group

Those with a 2.2 in Law

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Riz_K
On their websites its stated that they dont have speicifc degree requirements and that applicants from all backgrounds are accepted, albeit those with 2.2s

I got a 2.2 because I had some personal problems which completely diverted my attention away from my course and exams. I was at a point where I was not sleeping well and severely depressed. Due to this I was sick and could not attend 2 exams and i have 2 resit two exams. Where as in my previous years I never had such problem and really thought I would achieve a 2.1.

I did not notify University as I just wanted to get on with it and not waste another year. Well I also did not know what my uni would say.

I am stuck with a 2.2 now ( I have 4 exams still to do next month- and have notified the SRA about this- their deadline for completion of academic training is October 31st 2009, and I also will receive my results 15th Sep).

Have you spoken to them yet about your caution?
Reply 21
By the wayI was browsing through the forum, and there is very limited information on other areas of law , other career opportunities for lawyers. There is only information on corporate, city firms.
Reply 22
Regading the caution, I will be speaking to a family friend tommorow who has a criminal practice and will be showing him the relevant form and guidelines. Should definitely speak to them on monday. Do you think I will be okay?
Reply 23
Riz_K
Regading the caution, I will be speaking to a family friend tommorow who has a criminal practice and will be showing him the relevant form and guidelines. Should definitely speak to them on monday. Do you think I will be okay?

I don't think your family friend will be able to shed any further light on it: this is a matter of what the SRA requires, not what the criminal law says.

You MUST call the SRA as a matter of urgency as this could affect your ability to undertake the LPC. You shouldn't have left it this long. I think it would be harsh if the caution was held against you, but it is certainly possible. Remind me what the caution was for - was it an offence for which dishonesty was an element?
Reply 24
Right, the reason why I have left the SRA enrollment late is because I have just received my offers for LPC last week.

I was around 18 when I recieved the caution which was for theft! Three chavs stole my cousin and younger brothers bikes whilst they were riding them. There were no witnesses and we did report it to the police and after a few months the police never got back to us. These same guys were also bullying my brother in school and he had notified the teachers of this, and they never did anything about this.

So I went to his school and confronted the boy and he willingly that he would come with me to get the bike. So he got into me and my friends car and we never ended up getting a bike and he was just blagging the whole time. Well this same boy then reported me to the police and tried bringing charges of false imprisonment and theft . He claimed that I stole his phone and kidnapped him, which was all lies.

Well, I went through lawyers and the whole police questioning process. The police came to the point where they stated that they will drop the false imprisonment charges but will caution me with theft and that I would have to give 50pounds compensation!

I cannot exactly remember if it was a written caution or verbal. But they did say it comes off the record after like 5 years.
Reply 25
what do I say to the SRA?
Riz_K
Right, the reason why I have left the SRA enrollment late is because I have just received my offers for LPC last week.

I was around 18 when I recieved the caution which was for theft! Three chavs stole my cousin and younger brothers bikes whilst they were riding them. There were no witnesses and we did report it to the police and after a few months the police never got back to us. These same guys were also bullying my brother in school and he had notified the teachers of this, and they never did anything about this.

So I went to his school and confronted the boy and he willingly that he would come with me to get the bike. So he got into me and my friends car and we never ended up getting a bike and he was just blagging the whole time. Well this same boy then reported me to the police and tried bringing charges of false imprisonment and theft . He claimed that I stole his phone and kidnapped him, which was all lies.

Well, I went through lawyers and the whole police questioning process. The police came to the point where they stated that they will drop the false imprisonment charges but will caution me with theft and that I would have to give 50pounds compensation!

I cannot exactly remember if it was a written caution or verbal. But they did say it comes off the record after like 5 years.

First off, you have a 2:2 i doubt you will get into any major or magic law firms, as well as that your caution will hinder you further more.
If you received a caution while you was under 18, it will go after 5 years or until you are 18 - i know i have had a caution myself.

Good luck.
Reply 27
Riz_K
what do I say to the SRA?

Have you read and considered the guidelines that I sent you the link to?
Reply 28
yes I have. I will be contacting the CRB and local police station to check what type of caution it exacctly was and will contact the SRA
Reply 29
I rang the SRA and they stated that if there are character and suitability issues - you cannot enrol this year as the deadline was april 1 2009. But I only received my offers last week and was told I need to enrol with the SRA! what now!!!
Reply 30
They said you could provide a covering letter with reasons why you didn't apply for if you had these issues.

What could i put down in the covering letter. Ah im screwed
Reply 31
Riz_K
They said you could provide a covering letter with reasons why you didn't apply for if you had these issues.

What could i put down in the covering letter. Ah im screwed

Unfortunately, I don't think you have a good reason for not applying by the appropriate deadline. You didn't have to wait for your results to come through before you applied for membership of the SRA. By all means write to them and explain you weren't aware of the deadline, but I don't think it will help.

Of greater concern is to make sure you choose to do something you really want to do. If I'm honest, it seems as though you're jumping from one possibility to another - whether that is further study, immigration law, NGOs etc.

It might be worth you taking some time out to consider what it is you really want to do with your life. That will be more valuable than rushing into a Masters.
Reply 32
This is a late rather reply but here goes. As a graduate with 2:2, I can say that it does close some doors however you can do other things to show commitment to the cause. I applied to read LAW and was accepted to Birmingham. Why? I had a solid personal statement. Internship at Amnesty International for four months and mini pupillage at a law firm in London. These things do not need any spefic requirements but can do wonders for your CV. If you like the idea of international law then gain experience in a NGO, attend seminars and jot down ideas to use in P.S. Don't give up so easily and yes go ahead do a Masters before LPC, it won't hurt trust me.
Reply 33
5 years later, I am in a similar predicament. Would be nice to know what became of you Riz_K?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending