The Student Room Group

Been given a penalty!

ok, i knew i was never passing this one exam, so i didnt study for it and thought it would be funny just to give stupid answers for the questions i had absolutely no idea on.. which was a bad idea

i wrote all this funny stuff and swore and i guess talked about a lot of taboo subjects in my answers, and basically insulted the examiner (not directly) and the subject they teach..

and i got a penalty in the post, a copy of parts of my exam that were more offensive than funny, and a letter from my headteacher saying that she agrees with the penalty

The penalty was given due to my exam being "Frivolous/Offensive", and the penalty being "No Assessment Appeal".

I have written a letter of apology to everyone who could have been offended by it, and also said i have no intention of trying to uplift the penalty because i deserved it.

Ive been told that because of this penalty, my other exams may be disqualified. I worked extremely hard for my other exams and did not do anything as completely idiotic as i did in this exam.

In my letter i told whoever reads it why i done it and that basically i knew i was in the wrong and that i wont do it again and that i hope it doesnt affect my other exams (obviously i wrote it in a more formal way) if that makes any difference whatsoever.

so, is there a chance all my other exams will be cancelled because of this penalty? Or will i just get a no award for this one exam?

In the letters i received, it just states one penalty; I cant appeal if i fail the exam, and it doesnt state anywhere at all that my other exams could be affected by the penalty.

Scroll to see replies

xRed
ok, i knew i was never passing this one exam, so i didnt study for it and thought it would be funny just to give stupid answers for the questions i had absolutely no idea on.. which was a bad idea

i wrote all this funny stuff and swore and i guess talked about a lot of taboo subjects in my answers, and basically insulted the examiner (not directly) and the subject they teach..

and i got a penalty in the post, a copy of parts of my exam that were more offensive than funny, and a letter from my headteacher saying that she agrees with the penalty

The penalty was given due to my exam being "Frivolous/Offensive", and the penalty being "No Assessment Appeal".

I have written a letter of apology to everyone who could have been offended by it, and also said i have no intention of trying to uplift the penalty because i deserved it.

Ive been told that because of this penalty, my other exams may be disqualified. I worked extremely hard for my other exams and did not do anything as completely idiotic as i did in this exam.

In my letter i told whoever reads it why i done it and that basically i knew i was in the wrong and that i wont do it again and that i hope it doesnt affect my other exams (obviously i wrote it in a more formal way) if that makes any difference whatsoever.

so, is there a chance all my other exams will be cancelled because of this penalty? Or will i just get a no award for this one exam?

In the letters i received, it just states one penalty; I cant appeal if i fail the exam, and it doesnt state anywhere at all that my other exams could be affected by the penalty.

Who told you that you could be barred from other exams? If it was one of your peers then it's probably scare mongering.

If in doubt phone/contact the exam board in question in the morning, and confirm. You could also contact your head teacher about penalties, as they will have no doubt dealt with the procedure before.

:smile:
Reply 2
Just go with it and post the paper up here on TSR to laugh at.
Which exam was it? Ohh they're marking our exams atm. :eek:

I feel for you though, but I love funny exam answers.
Reply 4
ArcadiaHouse

I think they've already finished marking them... ahhh, scary, results soon!
The SQA can and do cancel all entries for a candidate in a given year as a penalty. Whether they will isn't really knowable - although from your wording, it makes it sounds like the official communications you've received from them haven't mentioned it, so I'd be surprised.
CallumFR
I think they've already finished marking them... ahhh, scary, results soon!

Oh yeah, so they will be. :facepalm:
Reply 7
ArcadiaHouse

I feel for you though, but I love funny exam answers.

a subject that i dont need for anything and i'll probably never have to talk about again in my life :biggrin:

it was a higher exam btw :rolleyes:

oh and i wasnt given the bits of the exam that was actually pretty funny, just the more serious and offensive stuff that probably insulted the examiner more than made them laugh:hmmm:

TheUnbeliever
it makes it sounds like the official communications you've received from them haven't mentioned it, so I'd be surprised.

yeah, on the letters i got the only consequence it said i'd be facing is that i couldnt appeal for the exam if i fail it (and i could still testify against that), it never spoke at all about my results for my other exams being affected.
Reply 8
I'm sure your other exams aren't affected, a boy in our school wrote something quite shocking in his higher computing exam, but he only had that exam voided. But in future, I recommend ya just leave it blank and use some common sense, they take this stuff very seriously. This ain't England..
Funny, but retarded.

On the other hand, the SQA are being retarded (as usual of course).

I doubt they will punish your other exams anyway, if they did I would take it all the way to court, saying how retarded I was.
I would say that I find the sarcastic answers really amusing. But your exams should mean more to you than that. I mean, a job application won't come off for you with a funny few words and some swearing.
Reply 11
:lolwut: Jeez.
What did your parents say when you got the letter through?

Edit: sorry, I'm so crap at spelling...
Reply 12
Come on, let's see the answers.
Reply 13
why would you want to appeal if you felt the need to completely mess up the exam..?

What higher was it? :s-smilie:
Reply 14
Seems very draconian. What's with these humourless fascists sprouting up everywhere?
-_- you're such an idiot mate.
hope all the best for you, :smile:.
Reply 16
punktopia
Seems very draconian. What's with these humourless fascists sprouting up everywhere?

Welcome to the world of the SQA.
I'm not sure I'm altogether happy being called a humourless draconian fascist. Much less the R word mentioned earlier. Part of growing up is taking responsibility for your actions. At SQA we just mark 'em as we seem 'em.

Still I hope it's not too expensive a lesson.

SAM
Reply 18
mysqa
I'm not sure I'm altogether happy being called a humourless draconian fascist. Much less the R word mentioned earlier. Part of growing up is taking responsibility for your actions. At SQA we just mark 'em as we seem 'em.

Still I hope it's not too expensive a lesson.

SAM

Very true.
Reply 19
No appeal is a pretty mild punishment, when all is said and done. Maybe the idea is that your headteacher will unleash hell upon you when you go back to school, and you will be used as an example for years to come in those "Exam Etiquette" type assemblies schools seem so fond of holding. :biggrin:

I thought I was a rebel when I wrote "haven't a clue" as an answer in my SG prelim paper... Got a thirty hour rant from an angry, angry teacher. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending