The Student Room Group

Fluttering in chest

Hiya

I've been really worried recently about symptoms I've been having in my chest. Basically for the last 5 days (and getting more frequent episodes) I've been getting a weird fluttering feeling in the middle of my chest. It lasts for about 5-10minutes although in the evening last night it was almost an hour before calming down then became hardly noticeable. It is also brought on by standing for too long (10-15 minutes) or just generally out of nowhere.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar experience and what the cause was? I'm getting worried as it's becoming more frequent. I saw a doc on Friday but as I have other medical problems feel it was completely disregarded but will see another doc on Mon depending on how today goes.

I'm a 22yr old healthy female and don't see where this could've arisen from, I'm not stressed and can't see how this is connected to my other health issues.

If anyone could let me know of similar experience or anything and possibliy how to calm myself down when it happens it would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou :smile:
Reply 1
How's your appetite?
Reply 2
My sister had a similar problem for quite a while, it was eventually diagnosed to be palpitations (sp?) and the doc gave her some drugs to clear it right up, ask your doctor if it could be this, sometimes self diagnosis is best, I personally, self-diagnosed myself with glandular fever recently, the doctor told me to stop being a hypochondriac, but due to my persistence, took a blood test and it came back positive for glandular fever, so could be worthwhile saying you think it may be palpitations. Good luck!
Reply 3
I have something similar, but then I get loads of weird chest pains/irregular heart beats that other people don't seem to - and I'm not being overly dramatic :p: I've diagnosed myself as having a possible Mitral Valve Prolapse, though to be honest I'd rather not get it confirmed ...

Either way, it sounds just temporary. Sit yourself down on your own, perhaps get a drink or something, but most importantly relax, and it'll pass.
Reply 4
ive had this and i got really scared, i had a blood test and they found i was anaemic. taking iron supplements and eating haem rich foods (green veg, chickpeas, oats, meat obv) helped and they went in about a week. take it easty for now though.
Reply 5
Very likely that it's heart palpitations. I get them on occasions and it's usually nothing to worry about unless it's suddenly started happening all the time and really bothering you.
Yeah I have that, too. They are called palpitations. Basically you become highly aware of your heart beating - this can be for extended periods of several minutes or just a couple of beats that feel much stronger than usual. My doctor says things like alcohol, caffeine and drugs can worsen them so perhaps finding out what your trigger is can help you to manage it better. I know on days when I don't drink coffee or coke I don't get any palpitations so caffiene is a no go for me usually. Palpitations are pretty much harmless in most cases so I wouldn't worry :smile:
Reply 7
Hi OP, sorry I just re-read my post - I'm not intending to hijack your thread :biggrin: I'm not too sure if our problem is the same but I'll share it anyway.

I get something like that occasionally too, I had it a couple of times today actually.

It doesn't really feel like palpitations as I'm not really feeling aware of my heartbeat as such. It's more like this sudden, uncomfortable feeling in my chest which makes me feel like I need to gasp and then sometimes I cough after. It comes on really quick and out of nowhere and each time the feeling only lasts for a couple of seconds but it can keep happening for a while after.

There was one day a couple of months ago where it was really bad and kept happening for a few hours and I was beginning to feel quite unwell :P Sometimes I get it once/twice a day. Sometimes only every other day and sometimes I've even gone weeks without a single one.

Like OP, I told my Dr. and felt a bit fobbed off, she didn't ask or check anything, she said it was probably just an "ectopic heartbeat" and nothing to worry about.

I don't know whether to just accept her opinion or go see someone else. What should a person expect when they go to a Dr. with complaints like this? Questions, tests etc?
Reply 8
try some garlic cloves, and increase your potassium increase (bannanas) low potassium levels have been correlatedto heart palptatiions. Potassium is needed for heart and nervefunction. So you oviously not healthy in the food side of life
Fornicis
My sister had a similar problem for quite a while, it was eventually diagnosed to be palpitations (sp?) and the doc gave her some drugs to clear it right up, ask your doctor if it could be this, sometimes self diagnosis is best, I personally, self-diagnosed myself with glandular fever recently, the doctor told me to stop being a hypochondriac, but due to my persistence, took a blood test and it came back positive for glandular fever, so could be worthwhile saying you think it may be palpitations. Good luck!

Palpitations is more of a symptom than a diagnosis, is it not?
Reply 10
Becca-Sarah
Palpitations is more of a symptom than a diagnosis, is it not?

It's hard to say sometimes, palpitations by themselves are both a symptom and a diagnosis, like my sisters it was just diagnosed as a palpitation, however a palpitation can also be a symptom of a larger problem such as an irregular heartbeat, it is a rather strange issue really, generally they just treat the palpitation and hope that clears it up as they don't like messing with the heart.
I have the same problem, but on a much lesser scale, and I'm male.

So if anyone has answers for the male aspect, please reply.
Reply 12
Do you have asthma? I sometimes get this and according to my doctor its a side effect of taking too much of certain inhalers..

Latest