The Student Room Group

Now that i'm 18 can i take out a contract phone?

I have been wondering since i am 18 can i take out a contract phone. I was going to buy the iphone 3gs but now i'm thinking i dont want to pay that much in bulk for pay as you go when i could get a contract with monthly minute and the phone for free. I heard you may have to pay £100 deposit or something but besides that can i get one?

Thanks in advance

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

A few suggestions out there that https://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/
are more likely than others to give you a mobile phone contract if you've been declined elsewhere.

Make sure you register to vote (if you're over 18) before you apply. Massively helps your credit rating.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
yeah you can. but i advise u not to get a contract phone unless ur 100% sure u can pay it off
Reply 2
You should be able to... if you pass the credit check
Reply 3
JCM89
You should be able to... if you pass the credit check

ok. I dont have anything bad. But then again i dont have a record of anything i have paid for. I heard if your credit wasn't perfect you pay £100 deposit or something
Reply 4
I went ahead and got T-mobiles sim only solo fixed 15. unlimited texts, 350 mins. 30 day rolling contract. there isn't a better deal out there, i promise you. as long as you have an unlocked phone already. but if you want a snazzy phone, go ahead and get the 3gs, if you can justify paying soo much for it lol.
Yes.
Reply 6
You can take them out when you're younger I thought?
You have to be 18 to take out a contract, and you must pass the credit check. Some companies might outright decline you, and others might ask for a deposit. This is due to you not having any credit history in this country. You can improve your credit rating by having a credit card with a very low limit and making small purchases on it and immediately paying off the full balance. However O2 are relatively easy to pass provided you're willing to put up a deposit, and your credit rating will improve over the tenure of the contract provided you never miss a payment! So only take out the contract if you can afford the monthly payment or it'll make things difficult in the future!
Reply 8
Yes, but remember, once you're in a contract, theres no getting out of it (unless you pay the remaining balance). I had no credit history, but O2 didn't even ask for a deposit.
Bucky!
Yes, but remember, once you're in a contract, theres no getting out of it (unless you pay the remaining balance). I had no credit history, but O2 didn't even ask for a deposit.

This is true. Credit agencies work in funny ways, a decision can also involve taking your household credit history into account. If your household has a tradition of strong credit then you're more likely to get a pass than if the property has had a history of defaults and other credit problems (even if they were caused by the previous owners!)

Latest

Trending

Trending