The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Boo.
They're both caring careers. Both in medicine obvs. Why not nursing? If you fail at medicine would you become a nurse?

There are significant differences. This is also a common interview question, which catches many people out :sadnod:
Reply 2
It could be lupus
There are significant differences. This is also a common interview question, which catches many people out :sadnod:

Like entry requirements and depth of detail. Can't really avoid that.
Reply 3
But ultimately, if you want a career in a medical field and a profession that is caring - why do you want to be a doctor more than a nurse? Is it that you have more control? More money? You're smart?
If they ask you that at interview you just say that in addition to the caring part of the career, you also like the scientific rigour behind it as-well which is much more prevalent in medicine as opposed to nursing.
yosrush
Like entry requirements and depth of detail. Can't really avoid that.

Well its more a difference of career after, with significant difference due to levels of responsibility and priveleges eg nurses cant diagnose patients
Reply 6
Boo.
But ultimately, if you want a career in a medical field and a profession that is caring - why do you want to be a doctor more than a nurse? Is it that you have more control? More money? You're smart?

Becouse I can. :wink:

Honestly though why not ask why we don't want to be nursery teachers, ODPs, paramedics or I don't know occupational therapists. Those are all caring professions. Everyone has their own reasons to choose a particular career over all others. Personaly I don't particulary enjoy majority of nursing tasks.
t3h_y0u553f
If they ask you that at interview you just say that in addition to the caring part of the career, you also like the scientific rigour behind it as-well which is much more prevalent in medicine as opposed to nursing.

I know and knew how to answer it, just it caught a few of my friends out. I say about the challenge of diagnose, levels of responsibility as well as the level of science
Reply 8
I guess it's just your feeling, right? Fair enough :biggrin:
It's just I know many medics who obvs really want to be a doctor but would rather work in a whole other field than be a nurse.
Reply 9
It could be lupus
I know and knew how to answer it, just it caught a few of my friends out. I say about the challenge of diagnose, levels of responsibility as well as the level of science

Well done, nice offer there :yes:
Boo.
Well done, nice offer there :yes:

Thanks :biggrin: They are the major differences between medicine and nursing, just don't put down nurses if you are asked that question in an interview. Are you only applying this year?
Reply 11
It could be lupus
Thanks :biggrin: They are the major differences between medicine and nursing, just don't put down nurses if you are asked that question in an interview. Are you only applying this year?

No, I'm not applying, I'm just nosy :ninja:
I'm a student nurse. I've just had an educational assesment and they said I could have been a doctor, the trouble is I haven't got the qualifications just the ability. Never mind though, it's a very rewarding career just nowhere near as much money.
Reply 13
It could be lupus

Ignoring the job at the end, I don't think I could ever be do a nursing degree (or is it a diploma?). The course only gives a basic level of detail. I've always been frustrated at school when you're reading one of your course books, get to point where it starts to get interesting, and it says 'The mechanism of this is beyond the scope of this course!"

Don't want to do medicine mind, but I just don't like things being watered down. I feel cheated.
Boo.

that's an epic fail of answer
yosrush
Ignoring the job at the end, I don't think I could ever be do a nursing degree (or is it a diploma?). The course only gives a basic level of detail. I've always been frustrated at school when you're reading one of your course books, get to point where it starts to get interesting, and it says 'The mechanism of this is beyond the scope of this course!"

Don't want to do medicine mind, but I just don't like things being watered down. I feel cheated.

You are of a similar mind to me as well then :yes: I always like to know more and more rather than skipping the bits out, unless it is extremelly dull :p:
Reply 16
zippyRN
that's an epic fail of answer

but it's not an answer.
Reply 17
Scratchy uniform? Hell no.
Reply 18
yosrush

You get that with medicine as well though. Particulary in preclinicals. It varies a great deal between med schools but in Manchester they don't tend to cover basic sciance in great details. There is nothing to stop you to read deeper if you are intrested (it is very much DIY course anyway) but same applies to nursing. They can't stop you from going beyond the basics.
Reply 19
Sarky
Scratchy uniform? Hell no.

Coming soom to hospital near you. :wink:

http://www.southportforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=902083

Latest

Trending

Trending