The Student Room Group

AS-level choices.

I have recently made my AS-level choices, and I would like some input about the choices I have made. I have chosen:
-Philosophy
-Maths
-Classical Civilizations
-Economics.
I intend to study economics at university level, although this may change if I prove not to be too talented at the subject at AS level. How would you rate these choices, assuming that I stick with economics to university?
Reply 1
It's a good selection, but have you considered doing further maths? Further maths puts you in a good position when applying at top universities.
Reply 2
If you're aiming for a top Uni further maths would definitely help. Otherwise, they're all decent/'non-blacklisted' subjects :smile:
Reply 3
The options you have chosen are fine for wanting to study Economics. However Further maths would enhance your overall application, when wanting to apply to those top universities:smile:
I did Classical Civ GCSE and I despised it, but that was probably because it was done during my own time, not in shool time. Are these subjects chosen with a particular career in mind or out of your interests? If it's the latter, stick with them!
Overly Pretentious
I have recently made my AS-level choices, and I would like some input about the choices I have made. I have chosen:
-Philosophy
-Maths
-Classical Civilizations
-Economics.
I intend to study economics at university level, although this may change if I prove not to be too talented at the subject at AS level. How would you rate these choices, assuming that I stick with economics to university?

further maths or politics instead of classical civilizations
Reply 6
Substituting Classical Civ for Politics makes good sense. Politics is more relevant and in-tune with Economics, and you can go down the political university road should you choose to. I study both.
Swap Classical Civilisations for History and you have the ideal PPE A-levels. They should be fine for Economics-just make sure you get A's in Economics, and particularly, in Mathematics. Good Luck!
Reply 8
despite what everyone's suggesting don't do FM unless you think you can actually do it and if youre planning on go to the likes of Oxbridge/LSE/UCL etc

Latest