The Student Room Group

Application: High School Transcripts & more - Please help!

The US colleges want my high school transcripts from EVERY year -- In the UK we don't have these and yeah, I've read the wiki on here about it but I really need some discussion on this to help me with it because the colleges' admissions departments never reply to my e-mails.

This is my question on Yahoo! Answers: http://moourl.com/eaimy

I haven't kept transcripts/reports from years 7-11 so I've asked my secondary school and they said they've shredded everything 5 years after a student leaves.
They're sending over what they have: My "SIMS record" printed out. Would I need to go back with this and get it signed?

This is a real pain to deal with and so what would I really need?

Also the white/purple sheets that my GCSE results are printed on say that they are not actual certificates -- Where do I get my certificates? I never received them. Can the college accept these?

From the "Applying to the United States" TSR wiki:

An overall rank in the class (e.g. Average 3rd in class for 4 years), or a percentage rank (e.g. top 5% of class)

What the heck, we never had these statistics taken, do I really need this?

All of the above should be on official school letterhead paper, and should be signed and stamped by a school official (e.g. Principal)

So I'm just supposed to schedule an appointment with school staff and ask my secondary school headmaster to type up this stuff on their word processing program, print and sign it then? (Serious question, hope this doesn't sound sarcastic, just give me a straight answer.)

Copies of all your official exam certificates, result statements, etc. must be stamped "Certified as a true copy" and signed by your school principal

Really?!

And would I have to wait long for a student visa if I do get accepted? Because I want to start in January 2010. So I'll have to go there in December. I might start a new post about this.

And do I have to take the SAT? Does this mean I have to fly there, take it, then fly back to apply for a student visa? Can I apply for one while I'm there?

Also, my GCSE grades weren't that great -- let's just say I only got one A-C. Would they really look at these? I'm not applying for a top university or anything. Wouldn't smaller institutions overlook this?

OK I'd really appreciate everyone's input but no snide remarks please (although I probably deserve it for shoving so many stupid questions into this post in a whining tone), just helpful answers. Thanks in advance!
nowyouknow
And do I have to take the SAT? Does this mean I have to fly there, take it, then fly back to apply for a student visa? Can I apply for one while I'm there?

Yes, you do have to take the SAT, but some colleges only accept the ACT, while others only take the SAT and some will accept either. Check with your school first. Honestly, the ACT is easier, or at least it was when I took it (a long, long time ago). I believe you can take the SAT in England (http://apps.collegeboard.com/cbsearch_code/codeSearchSatTest.jsp).
nowyouknow
Also, my GCSE grades weren't that great -- let's just say I only got one A-C. Would they really look at these? I'm not applying for a top university or anything. Wouldn't smaller institutions overlook this?

There are a lot of colleges and universities that will accept you even if your grades aren't perfect. In many cases, your activities, hobbies, volunteer work, etc., make more of a difference than grades. Also, if you get a good SAT/ACT score, that helps.

Latest

Trending

Trending