The Student Room Group

Why don't you donate to charity?

Not the 'oh, I have a penny left over from my extra fatty Big Mac and it'd take less effort to stuff it in the coin box rather than in my rapidly expanding fat-folds', but the monthly direct debit transactions that charitites are desperate for to plan ahead and to budget respectively?

Even if it is a couple of pounds a month or whatever, why don't you regularly contribute to charity?

And don't you dare tell me you can't afford to spare a few pence a day biatches. :mad:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
well i plan too! everytime i see an ad i think to myself im gonna call them up
but i never get round to it=(
Reply 2
Hmmm cause i'm saving for something, and every penny counts :smile:.. If i start giving away money with no idea where it's going.. it's going to take me longer to afford the thing i want right? :smile: . And i'm poor enough already, ask the rich people :wink:
Reply 3
I think it's partly because (and I know this isn't a good excuse) there are so many that need money that giving to one would make me feel really bad about not giving to others. It's like, if there were one homeless man on the street, I might give him money, but if I saw a lot around I probably wouldn't give to one as it would make me feel worse about not giving to others.

No, not logical.
I do. £2.50 a month, yeah I know it's not much..
Reply 5
I do so less of that attitude please Mister.

I have spoken to friends about it and seem to think that their money is better spent on other things which is mental. To be honest I find it really difficult not to donate. Everyone should give something.
Reply 6
x-pri-x
well i plan too! everytime i see an ad i think to myself im gonna call them up
but i never get round to it=(

dO IT NOW! ONLINE! NO EXCUSES!
I used to have 2 direct debits to charities giving each a couple of pound per month.
Now without a job i am broke.

I don't like people telling me I should be giving money to charivy anyways. Its my money and I will spend it how I see fit. Giving a couple of pound to charity hardly gives someone the right to take the moral highground about such matters.
I will once I have a stable income.
Reply 9
I work for a charity shop. Which counts, very very very tenuously and to a small extent. I do find myself giving whatever change I have to homeless people though, which I always later regret, especially if I'm forced to go hungry or resort to McDonald's, which has happened fairly frequently. Maybe once I get a bank account that isn't empty.
Reply 10
Bubbles*de*Milo
I do. £2.50 a month, yeah I know it's not much..

I love you now. :yes:
Hehe, I do. I donate to my party..
ADREAM
I love you now. :yes:

Merci :h:
because im trying to get my own life up and running at the moment, saving up to move out, etc. even then i wouldn't donate to charities based in the UK, its up to the government to fund stuff like that with the money they take off me every month.
Because I would rather spend it on what I want.
Reply 15
Fusion
dO IT NOW! ONLINE! NO EXCUSES!

but I have only 10 pounds in my account which will not see any increase untill September probably =(
Reply 16
I donate monthly but not by direct debit. I used to, but got calls all the time (especially from the NSPCC, who rang at least once a month :mad:) asking for more money which I found pretty rude and intrusive. So my advice to anyone is give to charity but put your £2 or whatever in a charity money box thing rather than paying by direct debit.
Reply 17
rich2606
because im trying to get my own life up and running at the moment, saving up to move out, etc. even then i wouldn't donate to charities based in the UK, its up to the government to fund stuff like that with the money they take off me every month.

Meh, if you do donate, they'll increase your donation by 1/3 through gift-aid at no extra cost on your behalf. (Well, if you're a tax-payer, that is).
I do it, but in my own way.
Reply 19
FatboyGinger
Because I would rather spend it on what I want.

Fat boy ginger speaks.

Latest

Trending

Trending