The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Toiletpaper8
I wouldn't say it was chance, especially in science subjects. 90% isn't really asking for much in the sciences. In arts subjects though, it can be quite hard.

Are you crazy it is unbelievably hard to get 95% + in biology as well as chemistry ( not sure of physics). I mean have you sat the unit 2 biology AQA spec AS half of it wasn't even based on what we learnt. :rolleyes:
Reply 41
beg the teachers and cry alot and swear on the force of life itself that you will get these grades, worked for everyone in my school who wanted As
Reply 42
fliss_pop
beg the teachers and cry alot and swear on the force of life itself that you will get these grades, worked for everyone in my school who wanted As

ahh, v good.

does it work in your ASs too, macca?
123 alexis
Are you crazy it is unbelievably hard to get 95% + in biology as well as chemistry ( not sure of physics). I mean have you sat the unit 2 biology AQA spec AS half of it wasn't even based on what we learnt. :rolleyes:

Well, I've heard your spec is easier than the one we did this year, and in the one we did... well, 90%+ definitely wasn't very hard.
Toiletpaper8
Well, I've heard your spec is easier than the one we did this year, and in the one we did... well, 90%+ definitely wasn't very hard.

LIES!

No, the content probably was easier (I spent 90% of my time revising for maths because that's actually hard in comparison), but all of the exams I sat were laid out terribly. The biology paper spelled leukaemia wrong, was really vague, and half the time it was impossible to know what the question wanted you to write. In chemistry, the paper was about 3 pages too long, and half of my friends didn't even manage to finish it. Not to mention the IR spectrum which was supposed to have been either a carboxyllic acid or a ketone, but the spectrum looked like a PERFECT cross between these two. Not even my chemistry teacher, TSR, NO ONE, could decide which it was by looking at the spectrum.
Xerophelistica
LIES!

No, the content probably was easier (I spent 90% of my time revising for maths because that's actually hard in comparison), but all of the exams I sat were laid out terribly. The biology paper spelled leukaemia wrong, was really vague, and half the time it was impossible to know what the question wanted you to write. In chemistry, the paper was about 3 pages too long, and half of my friends didn't even manage to finish it. Not to mention the IR spectrum which was supposed to have been either a carboxyllic acid or a ketone, but the spectrum looked like a PERFECT cross between these two. Not even my chemistry teacher, TSR, NO ONE, could decide which it was by looking at the spectrum.

Fair enough - I was judging by the textbooks you guys got, especially for biology and what you guys were taught for chem. It seems they've cut the content by quite a bit for you guys, at any rate.
Reply 46
Xerophelistica
LIES!

This is actually complete truth.
i hope the examiners are leniant on the IR spectrum as those could be the last few marks that i cant lose and still get an A.

my plan is too beg my chem teacher to predict me an A and may have to bribe him with something.
Reply 47
Toiletpaper8
I don't understand why nobody has had the good sense to scrap predicted grades... Oh yes, Ed Balls, of course, the government is blissfully ignorant about this major discrepancy.

what about the government, i can fully say the education in england is absolutely horrible. come to my school - and if you learn anything, anything at all - ill say i was wrong. and by the way all 3 As at AS grade that I have - none of them I have teachers for, i learn it all myself.
Reply 48
predictions are brilliant for those who actually were sick on days of exams and so they get a better chance of getting an offer.
Reply 49
lekky
4. Get rid of resits

Just no.
Reply 50
MedAmy
predictions are brilliant for those who actually were sick on days of exams and so they get a better chance of getting an offer.

strange how many people are "ill" during the year, and how very few people are "ill" during REAL exams.
Reply 51
Toiletpaper8
That's because A levels aren't that challenging... especially when you can resit as many exams as you want...

i think to say they are not challenging is a bit ott especially if your basing that on the fact you can resit exams because you can resit exams at med school to and that doesnt stop it being challenging
blumley
i think to say they are not challenging is a bit ott especially if your basing that on the fact you can resit exams because you can resit exams at med school to and that doesnt stop it being challenging

I'm not sure you grasp the difference - and your analogy fails on many different levels.
Reply 53
jeremybag
strange how many people are "ill" during the year, and how very few people are "ill" during REAL exams.

well your sick your sick, regardless. You can't predict when it will happen.:rolleyes:
The way A2 grades are predicted at many schools:

Teacher: What is the entry requirement for this course?
Student: AAA/AAB/whatever
Teacher: Ok, we'll predict you AAA/AAB/whatever

Latest

Trending

Trending