The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
nearlyheadlessian
I see that sarcasm is lost on you. I gave you the answer you were looking for the first time - there was just no need for your bizarre rant. Now, please either discuss the university of Edinburgh in this thread (so that it remains on topic), or go elsewhere :smile:

I got your sarcasm, the bizarre rant you mentioned about was also sarcastic (to some extent). i've become used to bizarre modes of conversation, without any logical framework whatsoever, and looking back on my comments i can understand the confusion created. my apologies. get back on string theory now. or edinburgh
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
lol... let me tell you something... just a few points, okay?

getting 45 points doesn't get you into oxford. I know what I'm talking about, I got an offer from Oxford this year and I have just around 42 points predicted. grades just aren't everything, okay?

just don't expect an offer from everywhere... that way you'll be just disappointed. I know you won't settle for anything- but that way you just look big-headed and I'm sure you wouldn't want that :smile:

and to your question- just try to take a gap year when you don't really want to study the course in Edinburgh... do something valuable during it, improve your personal statement... then try again :smile:

and excuse my poor english. I do not have english A1.
Can I get some bursary or sholarship by this university, because of my parents low income like in st andrews university? P.S my course is physics and I am EU student(from Lithuania).
lepraunch
Can I get some bursary or sholarship by this university, because of my parents low income like in st andrews university? P.S my course is physics and I am EU student(from Lithuania).

I tried to look it up, I'm an EU student too... but I found nothing for us, but try to look for subject-specific... maybe there is something for physicists... (my course is biochemistry)
How easy is it to find work in Edinburgh, like part time or weekends? Is it a good idea to do so? I don't want a job if it's going to make me really, really struggle academically. It's just I'm not really good with money so I'd prefer to have a little surplus just in case.

I work at WHSmith now, and I was going to try to get a transfer. Last year, though, when people tried to get transfers no one actually got a job, so, if Edinburgh retail jobs are like golddust, I was wondering whether it would be worthwhile emailing/writing now?
Rosie0914
How easy is it to find work in Edinburgh, like part time or weekends? Is it a good idea to do so? I don't want a job if it's going to make me really, really struggle academically. It's just I'm not really good with money so I'd prefer to have a little surplus just in case.

I work at WHSmith now, and I was going to try to get a transfer. Last year, though, when people tried to get transfers no one actually got a job, so, if Edinburgh retail jobs are like golddust, I was wondering whether it would be worthwhile emailing/writing now?

WHSmith are pretty thin on the ground in Edinburgh - there's one in the station, one at Cameron Toll and one at the airport. Possibly not the most practical solution. In terms of finding work, a lot of people will say it's "easy". The reality is it's just as hard as a lot of other places. In terms of retail jobs, they do exist. The problem for students from further away is being tied down to a contract. A lot of companies won't be very understanding of the fact that you might fancy a trip home one weekend or want to go away for a few weeks during holidays. Starting out this early is probably ... a bit early. I'd investigate the possibilities of a transfer first.
nearlyheadlessian
WHSmith are pretty thin on the ground in Edinburgh - there's one in the station, one at Cameron Toll and one at the airport. Possibly not the most practical solution. In terms of finding work, a lot of people will say it's "easy". The reality is it's just as hard as a lot of other places. In terms of retail jobs, they do exist. The problem for students from further away is being tied down to a contract. A lot of companies won't be very understanding of the fact that you might fancy a trip home one weekend or want to go away for a few weeks during holidays. Starting out this early is probably ... a bit early. I'd investigate the possibilities of a transfer first.

Yeah I was worried about the contract thing.... I mean, I'll be there thw whole of term-time but obviously won't be there for summer and Christmas, which is way more holiday than I get :frown: Yeah I have had a look at the transfer thing, it's just so rarely successful I figured I'd have a go myself.

I may leave it a while and see, though. I might wait until I get there and then try and do one off jobs instead :smile: If I can find them, that is.
nearlyheadlessian

I'll be starting Biochemistry this year. I 'm as well interested in jobs, but again a bit anxious it'll interfere with my studies. What kind of jobs do usually students take? I know we can work like 20 hours a week, but what can we do in that time? :s-smilie: Also, what are the salaries? Thanx :smile:
Aquarian
I'll be starting Biochemistry this year. I 'm as well interested in jobs, but again a bit anxious it'll interfere with my studies. What kind of jobs do usually students take? I know we can work like 20 hours a week, but what can we do in that time? :s-smilie: Also, what are the salaries? Thanx :smile:

Depends how much you intend to study and how much you actually need to study. Working has never posed a problem for me, but I'm a lazy student. Students generally work in service (bars, restaurants, cafes), retail and tourism. Don't expect to earn anything significantly above minimum wage which is £5.80/hour. Like I said earlier though, an awful lot of jobs will tie you up in a contract so you need to be comfortable at the restrictions that brings.
nearlyheadlessian
Depends how much you intend to study and how much you actually need to study. Working has never posed a problem for me, but I'm a lazy student. Students generally work in service (bars, restaurants, cafes), retail and tourism. Don't expect to earn anything significantly above minimum wage which is £5.80/hour. Like I said earlier though, an awful lot of jobs will tie you up in a contract so you need to be comfortable at the restrictions that brings.

Ah that's OK. Jews cope fine with work. Thank you very much. I actually thought that the minimum wage is 4.6 ponds/hour. Excellent. :smile:
I've never had a constant contract type job whilst in Edinburgh, mainly due to the restrictions in place as I need to have a fairly flexible timetable because I've been heavily involved in several societies which takes up a lot of my time. Instead I've had numerous "one off" or casual jobs where I can just yes/no the hours they offer me. I work in either waitressing/bar work or in swimming pools as I'm a qualified lifeguard and swimming teacher.... obviously if you have experience (I'd worked in a hotel for 2 and a half years before uni) its much easier to find something. I've found the Easter break to be good for getting set work for a 3/4 week period and then I've had jobs where they wanted waiting on staff for a couple of weekends in a row or something, which is better for me rather than committing myself to set hours every weekend for the next however long. The University careers service are a good place to start, then once you've done a couple of jobs people just get your number and call you to work for them again without you actually applying :smile: As has been said for bar work etc don't really expect much more than the minimum wage.

I haven't worked very much at all in 4th year as I just don't have the time and I wasn't here in 3rd year, but 1st and 2nd year were fine to do uni work to a good level as well as do society stuff/have a life :smile:
Aquarian
Ah that's OK. Jews cope fine with work. Thank you very much.

So do a lot of non-Jews :wink: My point though, is that if you have a contract then it's a contract for a normal employee - if you have to work every Thursday night and Saturday morning in a shop, for example, then you're unlikely to be allowed to go home for the entire summer. Just so you know :smile:
nearlyheadlessian
So do a lot of non-Jews :wink: My point though, is that if you have a contract then it's a contract for a normal employee - if you have to work every Thursday night and Saturday morning in a shop, for example, then you're unlikely to be allowed to go home for the entire summer. Just so you know :smile:

Ah I didn't plan to go home during summers :smile:. Anyways, one last question: can I change that contract to a usual 40 hours/week job during summer , from 20hours/week during my studies?
Aquarian
Ah I didn't plan to go home during summers :smile:. Anyways, one last question: can I change that contract to a usual 40 hours/week job during summer , from 20hours/week during my studies?

Can't tell you that - you have to take it up with any eventual employer.
At the moment I work for Starbucks, who are really flexible about hours. To be honest, I have no set working hours that I don't stipulate, and I can take on more hours whenever really, especially during holidays etc. If I were to come to Edinburgh, I would try and transfer between my home store and one in Ed and given that there seem to be a few, I don't think it would be too bad. For the last two years, I have worked for just 8 hours a week on £6.25 and it has suited me fine. There are jobs out there that are flexible, you just have to find them!
pinstriped.flower
I have worked for just 8 hours a week on £6.25 and it has suited me fine. There are jobs out there that are flexible, you just have to find them!

Finding them isn't difficult - getting them is when you're up against thousands of other people doing the same thing. Edinburgh's full of people looking for part-time and temporary work. I've worked an 6 hour contract and found it the most irritating thing - it's very difficult to arrange any time off etc. It's just important to understand that getting a job in a student city does not mean an employer will have any understanding for the fact that you're a student.
oxymoronic
I've never had a constant contract type job whilst in Edinburgh, mainly due to the restrictions in place as I need to have a fairly flexible timetable because I've been heavily involved in several societies which takes up a lot of my time. Instead I've had numerous "one off" or casual jobs where I can just yes/no the hours they offer me. I work in either waitressing/bar work or in swimming pools as I'm a qualified lifeguard and swimming teacher.... obviously if you have experience (I'd worked in a hotel for 2 and a half years before uni) its much easier to find something. I've found the Easter break to be good for getting set work for a 3/4 week period and then I've had jobs where they wanted waiting on staff for a couple of weekends in a row or something, which is better for me rather than committing myself to set hours every weekend for the next however long. The University careers service are a good place to start, then once you've done a couple of jobs people just get your number and call you to work for them again without you actually applying :smile: As has been said for bar work etc don't really expect much more than the minimum wage.

I haven't worked very much at all in 4th year as I just don't have the time and I wasn't here in 3rd year, but 1st and 2nd year were fine to do uni work to a good level as well as do society stuff/have a life :smile:

Are the one off jobs difficult to get? I think I'd prefer that to anything else, to be honest. I'd been told Edinburgh is really good at helping students find casual work - is that true? What sort of stuff do you end up doing?

Sorry for all the questions :o:
Rosie0914
Are the one off jobs difficult to get? I think I'd prefer that to anything else, to be honest. I'd been told Edinburgh is really good at helping students find casual work - is that true? What sort of stuff do you end up doing?

Sorry for all the questions :o:

Like we've both said already.... it totally depends. Edinburgh has the benefit of being a very touristy city meaning there are probably more jobs in that area than in say, Hull or somewhere random. But as has been said a lot of employers want you every weekend. There tends to be random educational festivals at the museums etc during the year where you can get work for 3 weeks and obviously the fringe in the summer. As I said, with waiting on/hosting jobs once they've got your number they contact you directly.

Umm I guess Edinburgh are good - I've never had any experience of another university so I have nothing to compare. I've found several jobs from their online search engine of jobs which is updated daily and they have good grad services/adverts which I've found useful this year. The only problem is if you find jobs advertised online within the uni you can guarentee loads of people will apply so you might not be successful.
nearlyheadlessian
It's just important to understand that getting a job in a student city does not mean an employer will have any understanding for the fact that you're a student.

I work in a student city at the moment and so understand the difficulty for people. I was just pointing out that it is possible for people to be understanding, and jobs are out there that can be managed. Sorry for the confusion!
Reply 1999
"I’m an international (non EU) student, will this affect my application?

Spoiler:
Yes. Edinburgh state in their admissions policy that they will usually give offers to all applicants (regardless of the course) who apply from outside of the EU. The only course with a quota restriction is medicine. This is because there are no funding restrictions on international places and all universities are free to admit as many students as they wish whereas there are strict quotas for UK/EU funded students where the university is liable to be fined should they admit too many students."

Im curious, does any one know where U of Edinburgh states this? Like a link to their site?

Latest

Trending

Trending