The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Is the Economics and Statistics course competitive?
If my AS grades were quite bad (except maths), but am predicted the entry requirements, would I stand a chance of getting an offer...
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 41
shyammi12456
Is the Economics and Statistics course competitive?
If my AS grades were quite bad (except maths), but am predicted the entry requirements, would I stand a chance of getting an offer...

are you refering to the minimum entry requirement? in that case it isn't good since Edinburgh have a tendency to give lower offers than predicts
synvilla
are you refering to the minimum entry requirement? in that case it isn't good since Edinburgh have a tendency to give lower offers than predicts

No, not minimum entry requirements...that is ABC
i should be predicted ABB or higher
Reply 43
hey anyone here applying for Computer Science for 2010 ??

I've bin looking at different unis since decemberish, but thats only because i was going to study medicine, and thought no its way too stressful hehe.
Edinburgh sounds really good though, definitely leading me away from york uni which is where i was originally going to go...
what are living costs like, i've heard some say its expensive and others say it aint too bad? i mean like nights out, accommodation out of halls, etc...
I m waiting for my reply people
Reply 45
I'm thinking about applying to Edinburgh, just now I have ABC in highers and they say they want at least BBBB but I think at the end of this year I should have AABBCC at higher, do you think that would be enough for a business course?
I'm applying for English lit. I certainly won't get an unconditional, but a conditional of something like BB would be great. :smile:
Reply 47
craig409

Most people start University at 18/19 with some people starting at 17 :P - I only ever knew one person at my school who went at 17. In fact I just thought the other day that I know more 19 year olds going this year than 18 xD - But yeah most are 18/19

Blimey, how do people get in when they're 17?? Is that if you're a prodigious scot? I'll be 19 when I go, good to know I won't be one of the oldest freshers :biggrin:

Also, does anyone have any ideas about term dates? So if freshers' week starts around the 12th each year, does that mean we finish relatively early for Christmas and other holidays?
Reply 48
Linguistics applicant here :smile:

Originally I was thinking that I'd go to York and Edinburgh would be my insurance... but the more I look at Edinburgh the more I think it may be the place for me.

Any other Linguistics applicants? Or anyone who does Linguistics and can tell me about the course? I'd be keen to know.
thanks armoran for ur reply
i m planing to apply in this course, can u tell me
1)what all is the requirement, and when can i apply
2) Is it worth to study from Edinburgh
3) i m from computer background, can u tell me what all we have study in this course
4) what is scene of placement after completion of course

waiting for ur reply
thanks
Edit/Delete Message
Reply 50
I'm applying this year for politics. Already have A-levels and got AAA. The fact that they've put the entrance requiremnets up to AAA therefore pleases me, as I reckon it will mean that A) they give more offers out, and B) I have a higher chance of being of those who gets an offer.
Im really confused about whether i should apply for Edinburgh Law School or not, as my grades arent the best. On the website it says they require BBB but teachers still tell me that they expect A's.
I am currently predicted AABB, and may also be doing a whole A Level in German this year as it is my native tongue, and i would also be predicted an A in that. However there is only a 50% chance the school will let me do it, so im trying to push that aside for now.

Do you think i might have a chance to get in? Im trying to be realistic, but i have people telling me i could, and people telling me i couldnt.

Thank you

Oh and also are there any subjects they would prefer me to have in my A Levels, or are the mainly just looking at the UCAS points, and the grades overall?
Reply 52
Why don't you email the admissions office or something and ask?
It's better to hear it straight from the horses mouth right?
Reply 53
Rosie0914
Linguistics applicant here :smile:

Originally I was thinking that I'd go to York and Edinburgh would be my insurance... but the more I look at Edinburgh the more I think it may be the place for me.

Any other Linguistics applicants? Or anyone who does Linguistics and can tell me about the course? I'd be keen to know.

I'm going into 4th year Linguistics... PM me and I'll send you the 1st year course outlines and handbooks by email if you want to look at them, but it won't be for another two weeks as I don't have my own computer at the moment.

Pick Edinburgh over York. We're actually in a beautiful city rather than on a campus several miles outside it.

God I'll have graduated by the time you guys start. That is scary.
Reply 54
will274
I'm applying this year for politics. Already have A-levels and got AAA. The fact that they've put the entrance requiremnets up to AAA therefore pleases me, as I reckon it will mean that A) they give more offers out, and B) I have a higher chance of being of those who gets an offer.

They haven't put offers up to AAA. It is BBB.
So a) why would they give more offers out? they know how many people accept and then firm, then meet their offer each year so it would still be the same. And b) why do you have a higher chance of being one who gets an offer when there will be thousands of other applicants who also have AAA, many of whom are also applying post a level.

I wish you luck but don't go counting your chickens before they've hatched or you're in for a rough year.
Reply 55
oxymoronic
I'm going into 4th year Linguistics... PM me and I'll send you the 1st year course outlines and handbooks by email if you want to look at them, but it won't be for another two weeks as I don't have my own computer at the moment.

Pick Edinburgh over York. We're actually in a beautiful city rather than on a campus several miles outside it.

God I'll have graduated by the time you guys start. That is scary.

Thanks - that would be really helpful :smile: I'd really appareciate it.

Just gonna PM you now :smile:
Reply 56
oxymoronic
They haven't put offers up to AAA. It is BBB.
So a) why would they give more offers out? they know how many people accept and then firm, then meet their offer each year so it would still be the same. And b) why do you have a higher chance of being one who gets an offer when there will be thousands of other applicants who also have AAA, many of whom are also applying post a level.

I wish you luck but don't go counting your chickens before they've hatched or you're in for a rough year.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/finder/degree.php?id=0,18,L200

Unless I'm mistaken it says that the typical entry requirement and offer will be AAA this year unless you meet a load of extra criteria. Thus, less people will meet the requirement so more offers will be given out as more people will miss out on results day. Plus I would think that they will be more likely to give an offer to someone who has achieved AAA already, than someone who is predicted to achieve below the typical entry requirements because they thought that it was still BBB. Plus I'm not counting chickens, but rather simply saying that I think I have a slightly higher chance of getting an offer than under the previous system of BBB for all. It's still insanely competitive at the end of the day.
Reply 57
I'm trying to decide whether I should apply to Edinburgh for History. I absolutely love the city, and don't really have any doubts about the course. However, I'm getting mixed opinions about my chances of an offer due to relatively poor GCSE results.

I've recieved my AS results and got:

History: A
English Literature: A
Geography: A
Sociology: A

I'm probably going to end up keeping all four to A2 depending on what my tutor/teachers say.

My GCSEs, on the other hand, were mainly Bs and Cs and I didn't do History.

Assuming I'm predicted 4As and get a really good personal statement and reference, do you think Its worth applying for History?

I'm also not Scottish which may or may not disadvantage me.

I probably will just go for it on the basis of how much I love the city, but I'm interested to hear what people think.
Cleopatra:)
Im really confused about whether i should apply for Edinburgh Law School or not, as my grades arent the best. On the website it says they require BBB but teachers still tell me that they expect A's.
I am currently predicted AABB, and may also be doing a whole A Level in German this year as it is my native tongue, and i would also be predicted an A in that. However there is only a 50% chance the school will let me do it, so im trying to push that aside for now.

Do you think i might have a chance to get in? Im trying to be realistic, but i have people telling me i could, and people telling me i couldnt.

Thank you

Oh and also are there any subjects they would prefer me to have in my A Levels, or are the mainly just looking at the UCAS points, and the grades overall?

Just to make the BBB offer clear, it's the university's standard offer to those they deem worthy of a place to be earned in one sitting. What that means is that you must be capable of at least BBB, because that's the minimum prediction needed to be considered for a place, but once you're being considered you have to be able to hold your own against people with predictions of AAAAA and fantastic GCSE results. In a way a BBB offer is misleading, because they are expecting many well-qualified applicants, of whom they pick the best, and for most courses at Edinburgh predictions of less than AAA are not conducive to success in any significant measure. Preference is given to certain groups of people, such as locals, Scots and Northerners, those whose parents have no formal education beyond what were then O-Levels, those from schools that send few people to university, and some other criteria.

Essentially, the battle is won or lost at the offer stage, because BBB is supposed to be attainable by anyone and everyone deemed worthy of Edinburgh. In that way it's pretty fair because many things can go wrong with an exam that give pretty unrepresentative pictures of academic ability, but grade predictions are often more representative of general ability some would argue.

In short, I don't know whether you should. If you tick some of the boxes I mentioned about preference in the admissions process, by all means apply (though I don't think they apply to foreigners), because they would compensate for your less than AAAAA grades. Don't forget Edinburgh is the 4th best research university in the UK, so it should really have Oxbridge style AAA offers as standard: if it did, would you still be thinking about applying? That's the question you have to answer for yourself because really that's what Edinburgh look for, they just don't make it concrete because there are ways to lower their expectations slightly.

EDVB
Reply 59
you could apply with BBB predicitions and a fantastic PS and get in and you can equally apply with AAA predictions and an OK PS and not get an offer. it can be a lottery for edinburgh but with predictions of AABB (possibly even AAABB) then i think you would have a chance.

your GCSE results do matter. and also, are you wanting to study scots law? it's just that that is the law they teach in edinburgh (at least i dont think they have an english law course)

Latest

Trending

Trending