The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
lugiachan
got an offer from mechanical engineering finally before xmas!

Yay , congrats on getting offer from Edinburgh. That is what I call an early Xmas present. Gosh I so much want one... :yes:
Anyways , which uni will be your firm /insurance ?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Have anyone received interview offer from B100Medical Science?
Reply 582
Crystalline
Have anyone received interview offer from B100Medical Science?

I didn't.
I'm applying for History at Edinburgh with B (Eng Lang) B (History) C (Eng Lit), but I'm predicted A*AA. What do you think my chances are? The reason I didn't do so well at AS is because I missed like near enough a third of the school year due to international athletics and rugby duty.

So I know I didn't do so well, but will playing rugby for Wales and Sprinting for Wales sort of make up for it?
Reply 584
JohnnyCheesedog
So I know I didn't do so well, but will playing rugby for Wales and Sprinting for Wales sort of make up for it?

As far as I am aware, Edinburgh don't have admission on sports basis.

The reason universities tend to like people with extracurricular activities is that they like people who can manage well their study and something extra at the same time. This is clearly not your case.

But it shouldn't stop you from trying, you have five choices on your form. Good luck!
lexinuk
As far as I am aware, Edinburgh don't have admission on sports basis.

The reason universities tend to like people with extracurricular activities is that they like people who can manage well their study and something extra at the same time. This is clearly not your case.

No, we don't have an official policy. But sometimes one does wonder whether there's an official unofficial policy of that kind in place...
Reply 586
nearlyheadlessian
No, we don't have an official policy. But sometimes one does wonder whether there's an official unofficial policy of that kind in place...

Sorry to be a bit thick but do you actually mean you know people at the University of Edinburgh who were offered a place just for being good at sports despite having bad academic results?
lexinuk
Sorry to be a bit thick but do you actually mean you know people at the University of Edinburgh who were offered a place just for being good at sports despite having bad academic results?

Well not necessarily bad academic results (indeed, given what the questioner has for predicted grades I feel it's a bit unfair to suggest he's not up to scratch - Edinburgh do judge on more than AS grades!) but I've had the sense that there are some uncommonly good sports people around who the university are naturally somewhat more interested in.
Reply 588
I applied for Hpol. Only 11% of applicants get an offer :s-smilie:

I have a prediction of 16/20 in the French baccalaureate and the requirement is 14/20.

I was rejected from Oxford and St. Andrews because I failed the Oxford exam and because my PS was about Hpol whereas I applied for IR and History at St. Andrews.

I have 2 offers, from Glasgow and York.

Do you think that I have a chance of getting an Offer? What are my chances, knowing that 3 others from my class have applied for Edinburgh (different courses)?
Didn't want to make a new thread about this but what applicants DOES Edinburgh interview? I'm an international student so it would be a bit hard for me to travel to Edinburgh -just- for an interview and I'm applying for Law and Politics.
ferdi.g
Do you think that I have a chance of getting an Offer? What are my chances, knowing that 3 others from my class have applied for Edinburgh (different courses)?

Having classmates applying to Edinburgh isn't going to affect your application.

You have a chance of an offer, having over the minimum grade requirement and not having been rejected yet are two things in your favour. For now you should try and forget about it as you might not get an answer for another few months.
Reply 591
MJ_Alexander
Didn't want to make a new thread about this but what applicants DOES Edinburgh interview? I'm an international student so it would be a bit hard for me to travel to Edinburgh -just- for an interview and I'm applying for Law and Politics.

They don't interview anyone for Humanities/Social Sciences courses, so you'll be okay.

I think they interview for Vet Med and things like that, but definitely not Arts courses.
MJ_Alexander

Isn't Scottish law rather irrelevant outside Scotland?
Reply 593
George Bernard Shaw

I think the answer to your question is yes. If you're asking because you think it would be pointless for him to study the course, I didn't see where he said he intended to leave scotland once he got there but maybe I missed that part.
ferdi.g
Hey, I'm also applying for Politics (with History) from Hungary!

Where did ou get the info about apps/place?

well i just checked the internet and i bought a book about all the universities in the UK basically...i don't know if i really applied to the right universities but it'll work out somehow :smile:
Reply 595
Slightly off topic, but has anyone actually received a conditional offer yet? Or is it just unconditionals they are giving out?
George Bernard Shaw

With a Scottish law degree, I can apply for Post-Graduate study anywhere in the English-speaking world.
Reply 597
CT.91
Slightly off topic, but has anyone actually received a conditional offer yet? Or is it just unconditionals they are giving out?

I had a letter from them inviting to attend one of the post application open days if I can and also saying that they won't be making offers in Computer Science until the UCAS deadline. Having looked at this forum my conclusion is that the answer to your question depends on your subject.
MJ_Alexander
With a Scottish law degree, I can apply for Post-Graduate study anywhere in the English-speaking world.

Fair enough
Reply 599
Havn't read through all of the pages so I apologise if this has been brought up already!
Has anyone received any offers for English Literature yet?!

Latest

Trending

Trending