The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
limx
I know it's terrible to rely on such rankings alone but does the international rankings count, especially if I wanted to work in other countries?

If you know it's terrible to rely on such rankings, then don't!

My experience is that an average person abroad knows and respects Oxbridge. Also, they respect any university with "London" in its name, don't ask me why. Other than that, it doesn't matter which university you went to. European academics and some very erudite people will know more about other British universities, but some random employer probably won't.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
lexinuk

My experience is that an average person abroad knows and respects Oxbridge. Also, they respect any university with "London" in its name, don't ask me why. Other than that, it doesn't matter which university you went to. European academics and some very erudite people will know more about other British universities, but some random employer probably won't.

The reason Edinburgh does well in the world rankings is because of worldwide recognition. People in the know abroad are far likelier to be aware of Edinburgh than they are of Durham.
Reply 782
Wolves130
FERDI! Tomorrow is the day my friend! I can feel it :p:

Well, I don'T even know whether I hope to find out soon or not...

The more I wait, the more I hope, the more dissapointed I will be when I get rejected.

BUT, the ore I wait the more likely it is that I get an offer (no news is better than bad news)...

I can feel it coming soon though as well!

I wish you the best of luck!
fishgold
Maaaan....it's past 5pm and I've still had no more news of an offer. Guess I'll just have to wait, I had hoped they'd give me an offer/reject me within a few hours. Bah.

Did you get your offer yet?
sid214
haha, they stand a good chance against the saints now tht they have farve throwing the ball, as long as they can stop the pwn machine that is the saints offence.

Personally, im a baltimore ravens supporter, so id be happy to see the jets absolutely wreck the colts.
Cant wait for sunday!

Well I've been a vikings fan for long time now and this is the best we've ever been. In Favre can just keep the interceptions down and score early we can do it!
Haha yeah the Ravens pulled a shocker against the Pats earlier ha
I was disapointed they couldn't make it count though.
But yeah, Skol Vikings!
Reply 785
JonnyVilla
Well I've been a vikings fan for long time now and this is the best we've ever been. In Favre can just keep the interceptions down and score early we can do it! Haha yeah the Ravens pulled a shocker against the Pats earlier ha I was disapointed they couldn't make it count though. But yeah, Skol Vikings!

Vikings are a good shout, i might support them now that the ravens are out for this season.
Man i cant wait to go to edinburgh uni and play some proper american football :wink:
info?
Reply 787
From http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/jan/25/universities-david-lammy-cuts:

Yesterday the Sunday Times reported plans to cut the number of degree places at the London School of Economics and Essex and Edinburgh Universities. Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, King's College London, Imperial College London and Warwick are freezing numbers. The biggest cut is at Edinburgh, which is reducing its 2010 intake by 1,300 places, nearly a third of the total, although it is funded by the Scottish parliament.

It might be a bad wording, here http://www.ed.ac.uk/news/staff-bulletin/student-places-250110 they say it's about 3%?

Ignore the Sunday Times article - totally fabricated by a sensationalist journalist who was in these forums just last week looking for idiots to quote in the article. The university is certainly cutting back that many places (as the bulletin says).
Reply 789
nearlyheadlessian
Ignore the Sunday Times article - totally fabricated by a sensationalist journalist who was in these forums just last week looking for idiots to quote in the article. The university is certainly cutting back that many places (as the bulletin says).

I wouldn't even bother reading Sunday Times (I actually didn't), but I used to have more respect for the Guardian. I think you are right, the staff bulletin is more respectful source of information.
lexinuk
I wouldn't even bother reading Sunday Times (I actually didn't), but I used to have more respect for the Guardian. I think you are right, the staff bulletin is more respectful source of information.

Nyeh, the Guardian is still a fairly reasonable source for a lot of stuff. What you see here is the nature of modern print media - less money means less cutting edge and original writing - and as in this case, more borrowing from what another paper said the day before.
Reply 791
Please, explain me because I'm confused. Are you still waiting for the welcome letter or the letter with admission results? Is it possible to get decision in January?
Myed is down. Sign of activity... or do I just have too much time on my hands? :biggrin:
George Bernard Shaw
Myed is down. Sign of activity... or do I just have too much time on my hands? :biggrin:

Just a sign that MyEd sucks, I'm afraid.
Reply 794
It's just having scheduled downtime. Don't know why but it's for everyone so (unfortunately) I don't think it means anything
Reply 795
Hi everyone just wondering if you could tell me if i actualy have a chance of an offer form edinburgh for economics?
A level predcited grades:A math A geography A ICT B spanish
IGCSE grades:A*AAAAAAAC (C)in double award
I have not staed if my family have been to university
I do not live in scotland
I go to private school (british school in spain)
I am head boy had leader ship positions won awards at all school prize givings for outstanding academic prformance
I am in a football team

This is soo vague for me a the moment jus wondered if someone could shed some light on if i should just forget about even getting an offer or think i mite be legible .Thanks for any replys ! not heard anything from them just on the MyEd etc but thats useless .
Reply 796
I applied to Edinburgh for EEE around Christmas and today got a mail in order to ask me for a signed reference (I applied as an individual and so ttached it on my own). The told me they received my application, but still didn't sent me a MyEd code or something. On the other hand, a friend who applied just on the deadline for Architecture, got an immediate acknowldgment, MyEd code etc. Is this common?
Reply 797
Despoina
I applied to Edinburgh for EEE around Christmas and today got a mail in order to ask me for a signed reference (I applied as an individual and so ttached it on my own). The told me they received my application, but still didn't sent me a MyEd code or something. On the other hand, a friend who applied just on the deadline for Architecture, got an immediate acknowldgment, MyEd code etc. Is this common?

I applied not too far from the deadline and received a MyEd code quite quickly (within a week or so I was sent an email of acknowledgement and whatnot).

I also applied as an individual and had to mail (I scanned and emailed) a signed reference.
I've applied for maths and music...I applied on the 9th October and it's the last place to give me a decision...typically it's in my top 2 of places I want to go! Have they started giving out offers for maths yet (it's the maths dept that makes the decision for my course)! I just want to know either way now...it feels like ages. Everytime I look at that blank space on ucas track my heart drops!:frown:

Anyone else applied for maths that wants to be friend? :biggrin: PM me!...Yes, that was me asking for friends, I am that sad! :rolleyes:
Reply 799
Love the way you guys noticed MyEd was down and it doesn't even affect your life -- for me it was just webct that wasn't working (not that you'd have access to that, its the virtual learning platform) which caused so many problems as my reading lists are only on webct and I've not been intelligent enough to save them onto my computer yet meaning I was in the library trying to do work and couldn't because I couldn't access the reading lists for my courses so that I could do the work properly :frown: :frown: such an unproductive couple of hours so I'm really not happy!! :frown:

(and now I sound like a whiney fourth year, yay for me.... don't go to university - this is how your life will become in four years from now!)

Latest

Trending

Trending