The Student Room Group

Change of address

A quick question: do you (international or UK students) change your address when moving to Cambridge? :confused: In many ways, I think it would be easier to have my permanent address in Denmark. Most importantly, I wouldn't have to pay taxes in England or change my address every time I moved to a new room at Churchill College... Besides, my college wouldn't have to send my post back to Denmark during holidays. So, I’d really like to keep my address here :biggrin: but I’m not really sure whether the University and college expect me to have my official address in Cambridge? I hope you can help. :smile:
Reply 1
As an international student, I don't actually have a "permanent address" but instead have two addresses that I use at the same time - my home address (in Singapore) and my college address (in Cambridge).

My home address is used for anything to do with Singapore and as a back-up address for my UK bank and also for my college/etc to send me things over the holidays. My college address is used for anything UK based (and is the normal address I use with my UK bank) and also for getting stuff at during term-time.

The really nice thing about addresses in Cambridge colleges is that they don't change between years even when you move to a new room - it's almost always along the lines of ____, ____ College, Cambridge CB____. So this is incredibly convenient for most things, except when your college thinks you've graduated and aren't coming back (which has happened twice to me so far, though once was because of a mix up with someone who graduated who had the same initials and surname!)

I don't actually really see why you would need to have an official/permanent address in Cambridge...?
Reply 2
All right, so I don't have to contact the Danish government - I simply use another temporary address when I'm in England? I guess you don't pay any taxes in England?
Reply 3
Why would you have to pay taxes? You'll pay sales tax ( "VAT" ) on most goods, but that's built into the price and won't be related to your address. You shouldn't be working, so I am not sure why you are so concerned about notifying the government and paying taxes?
Reply 4
The thing is that Danish students do get a lot of money from the government - every month in fact. :biggrin: Choosing whether or not to change address is more complicated than it might seem.
Reply 5
Sir Winston
The thing is that Danish students do get a lot of money from the government - every month in fact. :biggrin: Choosing whether or not to change address is more complicated than it might seem.

Do you not get the money if your address is abroad/you go to a foreign uni?

Like someone above said, there are many reasons why you would need to give people your address, and you can use whichever address is more convenient for that purpose (During the long vac my college forwards mail to me). I assume the government thing is like our student finance, in which case they should ask for both your home address and your term time address.

Latest

Trending

Trending