The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Preliminary reading list?

So I got this preliminary reading list from Warwick (Engineering Dept.) which suggests a bunch of books to read over the summer, and I am not really sure which ones to read since I am definitely not going to read them all.

The New Science of Strong Materials, The Goal and Flying Buttresses seem interesting, but not really quite sure about them. So what do you guys recommend? Or should I even read any of them at all?
Reply 1
I got a reading list as well, but only from from WBS . Suggest you don't read them unless you've been given an unconditional offer and you have decided to study there.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
I've started to read the De Bono one, and do plan on reading the ones you have mentioned too because they do sound interesting and not boring!!!
I've got an unconditional offer to stay there, and because I haven't really kept up with my academia this year thought I'm gonna have to read them to stay ahead of the game!!

Hope that helps :smile: x
Reply 3
matrix773
I got a reading list from WBS as well. Suggest you don't read them unless you've been given an unconditional offer and you have decided to study there.

What's on your list?
Reply 4
Zweihander
What's on your list?

Stuff like introduction books on Financial Mathematics, Quantative Analysis and Statistics, the 1st year compulsory Economics module and some Management books. Anyway, I'm not going to read them until I get my exam results in July.
Is there a maths reading list, do you know? I haven't received anything, but it may be department-specific.
i got the same reading list for engineering
Reply 7
I've just been told that I need to revise maths over the summer in case it was rusty....

Damn.
Focus08
I've just been told that I need to revise maths over the summer in case it was rusty....

Damn.

There is a surprisingly big chunk of Maths in the Economics courses from what I've seen. Well, in the module Mathematics for Economists or something.

ziedj
Is there a maths reading list, do you know? I haven't received anything, but it may be department-specific.

You don't need to do any reading. If you do want to do a bit, perhaps look at Spivak's Calculus for the Analysis courses in the first year. It's a massive book but costs the same a Mary Hart's Guide 2 Analysis - A truly awful book. If you're interested you could buy it [Hart] off me in the autumn. :yy:

Differential Equations uses a lot of material and questions from 'An Introduction to Ordinary Differential Equations', but to be honest it's not a lot of new material beyond FM at A level.

The only thing the Maths department will really send you are some past diagnostic test papers for the test in the first week. Nothing to worry about. You can have fun the night before and as long as you manage to wake up and remember how to integrate, differentiate and to trig then you'll be fine. After all, if you meet your AEA/STEP offer, this test is trivial. And even then you can fail it and still retake and pass a few weeks later. Pass in either exam = 5% of a module for each section. Fail a section and then fail the following retake and you get 0.
TheTallOne
There is a surprisingly big chunk of Maths in the Economics courses from what I've seen. Well, in the module Mathematics for Economists or something.

You don't need to do any reading. If you do want to do a bit, perhaps look at Spivak's Calculus for the Analysis courses in the first year. It's a massive book but costs the same a Mary Hart's Guide 2 Analysis - A truly awful book. If you're interested you could buy it [Hart] off me in the autumn. :yy:

Differential Equations uses a lot of material and questions from 'An Introduction to Ordinary Differential Equations', but to be honest it's not a lot of new material beyond FM at A level.

The only thing the Maths department will really send you are some past diagnostic test papers for the test in the first week. Nothing to worry about. You can have fun the night before and as long as you manage to wake up and remember how to integrate, differentiate and to trig then you'll be fine. After all, if you meet your AEA/STEP offer, this test is trivial. And even then you can fail it and still retake and pass a few weeks later. Pass in either exam = 5% of a module for each section. Fail a section and then fail the following retake and you get 0.

I've already... erm... acquired... :shifty: Spivak's Calculus in convenient pdf format... :shifty:, I'm waiting until my exams are over to read it. If I decide a hard copy would be useful, I'll take it off your hands in October ;D

I'll get the differential equations book, thanks :>
ziedj
I've already... erm... acquired... :shifty: Spivak's Calculus in convenient pdf format... :shifty:, I'm waiting until my exams are over to read it. If I decide a hard copy would be useful, I'll take it off your hands in October ;D

I'll get the differential equations book, thanks :>

There's a pdf version of Robinson. And the Analysis book on offer is Hart. Don't get it. Or please buy it off me. :yy:
Reply 11
Is preliminary reading list useful when u get to uni?
or is it better to go over A-level maths, etc
I'll be doing Accounting and finance
Reply 12
ddongfang
Is preliminary reading list useful when u get to uni?
or is it better to go over A-level maths, etc
I'll be doing Accounting and finance

Check and see what maths the quantitative modules contain, and revise that:

http://www.wbs.ac.uk/students/undergraduate/bsc-afin-core.cfm

I guess it's good to look over your modules and maybe google something, but don't put too much effort into it..

Latest