The Student Room Group

Dropping IGCSE German

Well heres some info about me. I attend a private boarding school and I am currently in Year 10, studying for my GCSEs and IGCSEs. In my year we are only allowed to take a maximum of 9 subjects. Will this affect uni applications compared to someone who takes around 13 GCSEs? I will be taking Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths, Geography, German and IT under the IGCSE course. DT and English will be normal GCSEs.

The real reason for this topic is because of dropping German. I hate languages with a passion. Both my parents are Chinese which impacts my decision of dropping German. Since I was a young kid I was expected to learn Cantonese but I failed at it so badly because of my hatred towards learning languages. In my private school, in years 7-8 it was compulsory to study French, Latin and German. I can't tell you how much I HATE languages. I promised myself to try German and if i couldn't do it i would drop it. I am at the stage where I need to drop it but I have come to some problems. I have read that in UCL a MFL is required to enter or you can make up for not having a GCSE by studying a language there. F*** that. That is complete BS so I will not be studying there.
Will there be any other universities that would require a MFL in the future?
Also, does not having a language put me in a MAJOR disadvantage towards other uni applicants?
Thanks for any responses
Studying a language is always handy.

But I agree with you, I hated languages. It was compulsory through years 7-9 at my school. I thought I had escaped it when the chance to pick options arrived, but the school clawed me back at the beginning of Year 11 to do an extra French GCSE, one hour after-school lesson a week, to fast track the coursework and basic exam skills. This was to achieve the EBacc (English Baccalaureate).

I decided to do it anyway, the work load wasn't that big in the end. My objective was simply to get a C and pass, though I did the Higher Tier course. Most Russell Group universities don't see the Ebacc as important, but I guess fort me it also shows that I dedicated some time after school every week to learn an extra GCSE, so it was win win for me really.
Reply 2
But does it affect my chances in getting into a good uni without it to study engineering or accountancy?

Original post by AboveTheLine
Studying a language is always handy.

But I agree with you, I hated languages. It was compulsory through years 7-9 at my school. I thought I had escaped it when the chance to pick options arrived, but the school clawed me back at the beginning of Year 11 to do an extra French GCSE, one hour after-school lesson a week, to fast track the coursework and basic exam skills. This was to achieve the EBacc (English Baccalaureate).

I decided to do it anyway, the work load wasn't that big in the end. My objective was simply to get a C and pass, though I did the Higher Tier course. Most Russell Group universities don't see the Ebacc as important, but I guess fort me it also shows that I dedicated some time after school every week to learn an extra GCSE, so it was win win for me really.
Reply 3
Bump. Does not having a language GCSE but me at a disadvantage when getting all A*/As?

Quick Reply

Latest