The Student Room Group

A Level Choices - please help

Hi, I'm doing my GCSEs at the moment and I'm predicted 7 A*'s, 4 A's. I really need help with choosing my A-Levels though. I think I'd like to do a degree in either Economics, Business Studies or Physics, so I went for these AS Level Choices: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics.

However, the head of Sixth Form at my school said that my choices were too narrow, and universities would want a wide range of A Levels for any course, so recommended I picked subjects like Geography, PE, English etc.

I went on Cambridge's website and it says that Maths and Further Maths is essential and Economics is 'highly desirable'.

There is also one last dilemma; Durham University only count Maths and Further Maths as one A-Level I believe, so would there be any point applying there if I took say, Maths, Further Maths and another subject to A Level?

Thank you so much to anyone who answers! :smile:
posting to follow this convo
That is quite narrow, but I wouldn't go as far as Geography or P.E.! More like Chemistry if you want to branch out (though having History / English would actually be fine, as it's good to have some humanities subjects if you enjoy them).

Contact the universities if worried. Personally I would swap Economics for Chemistry, but that's just a general outlook - if you want to do a degree in economics or B.S. you may need it. Do check though, as maths is more important, I'm sure.

You have very good predictions - have you considered doing all four to A2?
My friend has an offer for economics at Cambridge - she took maths, further maths, physics, chemistry and economics, then dropped chemistry after AS. another friend applying for economics in her gap year does geography, maths, further maths & economics at A2, she's applying to UCL and maybe LSE.
i would recommend geography - 1)it's an awesome subject at A level, way better than gcse :smile: / 2) it's a social science so all unis love it - essays/evaluative skills and scientific training in one :wink:
wouldn't recommend PE tbh :s-smilie:
these are just my biased opinions from my own experience though! (i'm taking geography at UCL next year, my choices were spanish, psychology, geography & AS philosophy)

edit - not sure why the person above equates geography with PE...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Thanks guys,

Our school only allows us to do 4 AS Levels and 3 A Levels (we have to do General Studies too). I asked the Headteacher if I could swap General Studies for another AS / A Level, but I was told I couldn't.

I was thinking of doing Maths, Further Maths to A Level and either dropping Economics or Physics to go into an Economics or Physics degree depending on which one I enjoyed most.

Is Physics heavily Maths based at uni too?
Reply 5
Original post by AwkwardLemur
Hi, I'm doing my GCSEs at the moment and I'm predicted 7 A*'s, 4 A's. I really need help with choosing my A-Levels though. I think I'd like to do a degree in either Economics, Business Studies or Physics, so I went for these AS Level Choices: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics.

However, the head of Sixth Form at my school said that my choices were too narrow, and universities would want a wide range of A Levels for any course, so recommended I picked subjects like Geography, PE, English etc.

I went on Cambridge's website and it says that Maths and Further Maths is essential and Economics is 'highly desirable'.

There is also one last dilemma; Durham University only count Maths and Further Maths as one A-Level I believe, so would there be any point applying there if I took say, Maths, Further Maths and another subject to A Level?

Thank you so much to anyone who answers! :smile:

Hi there :smile: I wouldn't worry too much about what other people say about your A-Levels. Yes, they're 'narrow' in that they all fall under the same kind of maths-y bracket, but if you enjoy them, go for it! You're doing the right thing, looking at entry requirements now.

I did French, Spanish, English Literature and History, and loads of people said that they were all too similar, and that I had no variety, but I didn't want to study anything else. Same goes with you - if you want to study those four, then by all means go for it! Do what makes you happy - at the end of the day, your happiness and enthusiasm for your subject will be reflected in your grade!
Your choices seem ideal for the university subjects you are interested in. Your teacher's advice seems very poor, to be honest.
Reply 7
Terrible teacher advice.
Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics for AS are very good choices for an ecomomics/physics degree.

If you decide you want to study Economics at uni then take Maths,Further Maths and Economics at A2(Further Maths isn't essential but it's highly respected by top unis).
Reply 9
Narrow is good if you know what you want to do. And you do.

Your subject choices are very good and I wouldn't let the opinion of the head sway your decision.
Don't listen to your teach, you choices are fine. The most important thing is that you enjoy the subjects you pick.

Quick Reply

Latest