The Student Room Group

Writing a CV?

I've wrote a CV before, when I was in Year 10 and we were given a piece of paper to fill it out on, but that's it.

I don't know whether to use a template from MS Word, or how to structure it.

Any suggestions please :smile:
Reply 1
You should take a look at the TSR Wiki Guide for writing CVs: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/CVs

:smile:
Reply 2
I spoke to the recruiters at ELLE and H&M and they agreed that the first thing they look for is previous employment. If that's bad, they don't bother with it. Just thought this may be helpful.
Reply 3
Original post by nombo
I spoke to the recruiters at ELLE and H&M and they agreed that the first thing they look for is previous employment. If that's bad, they don't bother with it. Just thought this may be helpful.

oh :frown: i've always wanted to work at h&m. do they only want people with retail experience?
Reply 4
Original post by MandyA
oh :frown: i've always wanted to work at h&m. do they only want people with retail experience?

Well, this was for the Head Office jobs, I suppose, since it was quite senior people. For shop floor jobs, I presume they'd still need experience though...if you can't find a job, volunteer in a charity shop; they're very grateful and give you good references, in my experience. Let me know what happens! Have you got any work experience at all?
Reply 5
Original post by nombo
Well, this was for the Head Office jobs, I suppose, since it was quite senior people. For shop floor jobs, I presume they'd still need experience though...if you can't find a job, volunteer in a charity shop; they're very grateful and give you good references, in my experience. Let me know what happens! Have you got any work experience at all?

ohh i see. yeah i've worked in a hairdressers, community mental health centre and a pre-school. but they don't really relate to the same experience do i don't think they would care :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by MandyA
ohh i see. yeah i've worked in a hairdressers, community mental health centre and a pre-school. but they don't really relate to the same experience do i don't think they would care :frown:

It's still experience, and the hairdresser's is customer service. So it's not totally irrelevant. However, I do think that if someone with retail experience competed against you, they would get the job. Volunteer in a charity shop for a few weeks, even, it helps immensely!
Original post by MandyA

Don't think about the whole job and its setting, thing about the specific skills. One of the key skills for retail is good customer service, breaking that down and thinking about it specifically it means listening carefully to customers and responding quickly and accurately to their requests, planning, preparing and anticipating their needs and wants etc. Did you have to do any of that in the hairdressers, the community mental health centre of in a pre-school - the answer must be yes, in spades!
Reply 8
Original post by nombo
It's still experience, and the hairdresser's is customer service. So it's not totally irrelevant. However, I do think that if someone with retail experience competed against you, they would get the job. Volunteer in a charity shop for a few weeks, even, it helps immensely!

yeah i will find one to volunteer in. i'm sure it will help too
Reply 9
Original post by threeportdrift
Don't think about the whole job and its setting, thing about the specific skills. One of the key skills for retail is good customer service, breaking that down and thinking about it specifically it means listening carefully to customers and responding quickly and accurately to their requests, planning, preparing and anticipating their needs and wants etc. Did you have to do any of that in the hairdressers, the community mental health centre of in a pre-school - the answer must be yes, in spades!

that's true. they want people to have good communication skills which i have and i'm a sociable person as well. at the moment i'm trying to apply for starbucks and costa. wish me luck :redface:
Reply 10
Good luck, Mandy!! Keep us posted!
Reply 11
Original post by nombo

thanks! :smile: i definitely will. i may be working at the paralympic games if i get my security licence sorted out. so thats 2 weeks of work. hopefully i find out when i start uni. have you found a job yet?
Reply 12
Original post by nombo

i was meant to say hopefully i get a job when i start uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending