The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3140
JUST FAILED MY FIRST TEST TODAY! eight minors two majors. Absolutely kicking myself! First major was at a mini roundabout with three lanes leading to it! Nobody was moving, old man to my right in an estate and a white van man to my left. Was looking at both of them to say right whos going and got a very angry gesture from the van man saying GO so i looked to my right and the old man was still there not moving then as I began to set off so did he! MAJOR DISSAPOINTED! Second major was for pulling over which is the one I was kicking myself for! The invigilator told me to pull over and I got so excited thinking oh my god hes asking me to do something else I mustn't have failed indicated to pull in and stopped right in the middle of the road, didn't even pull in! Never done anything so idiotic!! GUTTED! Six week wait for another! :frown:
Another fail once again. Pretty much failed from the first minute as I moved off causing a car to brake. I got another serious for turning right as my position was not straight enough.

All I can say is I got myself to blame and now not only have to redo the test, but also do my theory test again as it is going to expire this month.

I dont want to give up, but feel I need to take a break because the failures have completely left me depressed.

My plan for the test is to change the test centre, take more lessons as I done caring about the money factor. One thing I have a dilemma on is whether I should change instructors and if I change who should I turn to. Any advice on this will be much appreciated.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LuceB
JUST FAILED MY FIRST TEST TODAY! eight minors two majors. Absolutely kicking myself! First major was at a mini roundabout with three lanes leading to it! Nobody was moving, old man to my right in an estate and a white van man to my left. Was looking at both of them to say right whos going and got a very angry gesture from the van man saying GO so i looked to my right and the old man was still there not moving then as I began to set off so did he! MAJOR DISSAPOINTED! Second major was for pulling over which is the one I was kicking myself for! The invigilator told me to pull over and I got so excited thinking oh my god hes asking me to do something else I mustn't have failed indicated to pull in and stopped right in the middle of the road, didn't even pull in! Never done anything so idiotic!! GUTTED! Six week wait for another! :frown:

You have priority over anyone on your left, you have to give priority to anyone on your right. That's the basic rule. Now, some people are overly cautious, which isn't always a good thing. The guy on your right should have moved away quicker than he did, but you didn't have to rush. Also, never listen to what other drivers tell you to do. Just because the driver on your left is pissed off doesn't mean it's safer to make him happy and risk an accident.
Original post by gunner4life95
Another fail once again. Pretty much failed from the first minute as I moved off causing a car to brake. I got another serious for turning right as my position was not straight enough.

All I can say is I got myself to blame and now not only have to redo the test, but also do my theory test again as it is going to expire this month.

I dont want to give up, but feel I need to take a break because the failures have completely left me depressed.

My plan for the test is to change the test centre, take more lessons as I done caring about the money factor. One thing I have a dilemma on is whether I should change instructors and if I change who should I turn to. Any advice on this will be much appreciated.

Unlucky :frown:

You should change instructors. A new instructor may notice things that you might be doing wrong that your current instructor doesn't notice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by goldenfish
Unlucky :frown:

You should change instructors. A new instructor may notice things that you might be doing wrong that your current instructor doesn't notice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any suggestions were I can find a good driving instructor.
Original post by gunner4life95
Any suggestions were I can find a good driving instructor.

No sorry. I got recommendations from friends, maybe you can ask your friends if any of them already have a licence? :smile:
Reply 3146
Original post by sherlock5545
You have priority over anyone on your left, you have to give priority to anyone on your right. That's the basic rule. Now, some people are overly cautious, which isn't always a good thing. The guy on your right should have moved away quicker than he did, but you didn't have to rush. Also, never listen to what other drivers tell you to do. Just because the driver on your left is pissed off doesn't mean it's safer to make him happy and risk an accident.

I was no way in a rush, I was trying to go as slowly as possible. I was just very aware of the 'hesitation' major! It was very much a Mexican stand off situation. I made a decision which turned out to be the wrong one, I know now and will be more careful next time.
Passed on Tuesday, on my third attempt! This thread helped, so cheers..
I just wanted to share my own experience with driving as a whole, because I genuinely believe if you are patient and don't give up - you will get it.

Firstly, because I did this when I failed as well; you can't really put blame onto the examiner for failing you. You need to remember the road is a dangerous place - he can't pass you unless he feels you can do so, keeping yourself safe as well as others sharing the road. If you're getting any minors, it means you probably need to revisit where you went/are going wrong.

In my first test, I was taken into my town center; which I had rarely been in beforehand, with either of my instructors (I've had 2).
So when he took me through that route, I started to panic, my town is very clustered, a lot of lane changes, a massive, 5-exit round-a-bout.
I failed, 1 major, 8 minors. A lot of it was undue hesitation, but also misreading signs. The most painful thing about my first two attempts was I got, imo, the easiest maneuvers. In my first test I got parallel park, and in my second, I got my favourite, reverse around a bend.

When I failed my first test I was gutted, but I kept my head high, my mum and dad passed 2nd time, my colleagues all passed second time as well.

With my second test, the guy I had was alright at first, he was talkative, wanted to know what I do for a living, and where I see myself with a car.
But as the test progressed, he got quieter and a lot sharper with directions.
I was asked to do a reverse around a bend, perfect, I know I can do that.
I did it perfectly.
However, I started panicking as he didn't actually let me finish
the
maneuver itself, instead as soon as I got around the bend, he asked me to put it into drive and turn left at the end of the road.
Obviously, I was thinking I had failed my test at this point and he didn't want me wasting time doing a
maneuver.
he then asked me to do an emergency stop, which is something I dreaded from the beginning, I am very susceptible to panic attacks, and breaking so sharpy and suddenly for no reason sets me off.
On my lessons, my instructor would always tell me to pretend a cat or something I loved, like a bird, had walked into the road and work from there; which helped. But being on test, i had forgotten the method, and although I did it fine, I was pretty freaked out after and it set me off with shaking.
I ended up failing at the end of my test on a round-a-bout, remember when I mentioned he rushed my
maneuver? Well, what I had done was I needed to have gone into the second exit, but I accidentally put myself in the right lane, rather then the left. I had hit the school run and we were pretty much at a stand still. My original plan was to go round the round-a-bout again and change lanes when appropriate, but the examiner made me turn left nonetheless, having to squeeze through a lorry and another car, causing a hazard to other road users.
Obviously, when I found out that was the reason to me having failed, I got angry because the examiner had asked me to do it, and went against what I wanted to do, the right thing to have done.

There's no point appealing, I was mad but I contemplated appealing it, but they wont/aren't going to amend your test results and give you a license, you will more than likely get a free test.
So I put it off.
I had another test 3 weeks later, with a new guy.
He was very sweet, and once again very interested in my aspirations, being a falconer requires a mean of transport, and I merely can not rely on a bus if I'm transporting birds around, or anything for that matter.
He was very interested in falconry and we talked about it for about 10 minutes during the test.
I was on test for 32 minutes, and started getting nervous when I realised I was heading back to the test center when I should have had at least another 10 minutes of the test left.
He then asked me to do my least favourite maneuver; bay park.

I knew then, if I had't already failed, I was going to fail on this.
I parked slightly off, and apologised, changed into drive and straightened myself up within a minute.

Amazingly, I passed the test (this was about 3 weeks ago), I was so overwhelmed I burst into tears, my instructor started crying because we had both worked so hard getting me here.

I had basically been scammed by a previous school, I had 50+ hours with him, and still hadn't taken a theory, nor had I done parallel or reverse round a bend. I started with a new instructor, within 2 months of being with him, I took my theory and hazard perception and passed 1st time without even revising. Then I passed my drivers on my 3rd attempt.

Please don't give up, yes its expensive, but if you think of the overall benefits of you having a car - it really does weigh out the cost of it all.
My only advice, if you're getting more than one major in a test, you probably need more practice.

As my instructor always said, these examiners want you to pass. They have to fail and pass thousands of people a week, why would they want to deliver bad news instead of good? You don't want to see them again just as much as they don't want to see you again.
Reply 3149
Original post by Buzzarrd
I just wanted to share my own experience with driving as a whole, because I genuinely believe if you are patient and don't give up - you will get it.

Firstly, because I did this when I failed as well; you can't really put blame onto the examiner for failing you. You need to remember the road is a dangerous place - he can't pass you unless he feels you can do so, keeping yourself safe as well as others sharing the road. If you're getting any minors, it means you probably need to revisit where you went/are going wrong.

In my first test, I was taken into my town center; which I had rarely been in beforehand, with either of my instructors (I've had 2).
So when he took me through that route, I started to panic, my town is very clustered, a lot of lane changes, a massive, 5-exit round-a-bout.
I failed, 1 major, 8 minors. A lot of it was undue hesitation, but also misreading signs. The most painful thing about my first two attempts was I got, imo, the easiest maneuvers. In my first test I got parallel park, and in my second, I got my favourite, reverse around a bend.

When I failed my first test I was gutted, but I kept my head high, my mum and dad passed 2nd time, my colleagues all passed second time as well.

With my second test, the guy I had was alright at first, he was talkative, wanted to know what I do for a living, and where I see myself with a car.
But as the test progressed, he got quieter and a lot sharper with directions.
I was asked to do a reverse around a bend, perfect, I know I can do that.
I did it perfectly.
However, I started panicking as he didn't actually let me finish
the
maneuver itself, instead as soon as I got around the bend, he asked me to put it into drive and turn left at the end of the road.
Obviously, I was thinking I had failed my test at this point and he didn't want me wasting time doing a
maneuver.
he then asked me to do an emergency stop, which is something I dreaded from the beginning, I am very susceptible to panic attacks, and breaking so sharpy and suddenly for no reason sets me off.
On my lessons, my instructor would always tell me to pretend a cat or something I loved, like a bird, had walked into the road and work from there; which helped. But being on test, i had forgotten the method, and although I did it fine, I was pretty freaked out after and it set me off with shaking.
I ended up failing at the end of my test on a round-a-bout, remember when I mentioned he rushed my
maneuver? Well, what I had done was I needed to have gone into the second exit, but I accidentally put myself in the right lane, rather then the left. I had hit the school run and we were pretty much at a stand still. My original plan was to go round the round-a-bout again and change lanes when appropriate, but the examiner made me turn left nonetheless, having to squeeze through a lorry and another car, causing a hazard to other road users.
Obviously, when I found out that was the reason to me having failed, I got angry because the examiner had asked me to do it, and went against what I wanted to do, the right thing to have done.

There's no point appealing, I was mad but I contemplated appealing it, but they wont/aren't going to amend your test results and give you a license, you will more than likely get a free test.
So I put it off.
I had another test 3 weeks later, with a new guy.
He was very sweet, and once again very interested in my aspirations, being a falconer requires a mean of transport, and I merely can not rely on a bus if I'm transporting birds around, or anything for that matter.
He was very interested in falconry and we talked about it for about 10 minutes during the test.
I was on test for 32 minutes, and started getting nervous when I realised I was heading back to the test center when I should have had at least another 10 minutes of the test left.
He then asked me to do my least favourite maneuver; bay park.

I knew then, if I had't already failed, I was going to fail on this.
I parked slightly off, and apologised, changed into drive and straightened myself up within a minute.

Amazingly, I passed the test (this was about 3 weeks ago), I was so overwhelmed I burst into tears, my instructor started crying because we had both worked so hard getting me here.

I had basically been scammed by a previous school, I had 50+ hours with him, and still hadn't taken a theory, nor had I done parallel or reverse round a bend. I started with a new instructor, within 2 months of being with him, I took my theory and hazard perception and passed 1st time without even revising. Then I passed my drivers on my 3rd attempt.

Please don't give up, yes its expensive, but if you think of the overall benefits of you having a car - it really does weigh out the cost of it all.
My only advice, if you're getting more than one major in a test, you probably need more practice.

As my instructor always said, these examiners want you to pass. They have to fail and pass thousands of people a week, why would they want to deliver bad news instead of good? You don't want to see them again just as much as they don't want to see you again.

Congrats on passing:biggrin: thanks for the encouraging advice! May I ask what your major mistakes were in the first and second test? I'm a tad confused!:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3150
Just failed my test for the third time... 1 minor and 1 major for not stopping for long enough at a stop sign :mad:
Reply 3151
Failed my test earlier today (first test) - got 11 minors and 1 serious - clocked up the serious in the last part of the test for going for a gap on the roundabout but not putting my foot down enough, which meant another car behind me had to move out of the way!

So annoyed - really feel like crying...felt like I was so close to passing :frown:
Original post by Stos
Just failed my test for the third time... 1 minor and 1 major for not stopping for long enough at a stop sign :mad:

There isn't a set period of time to stop at a stop sign for, so you'll have failed for either not coming to a complete stop, or for not noticing hazards around you when you pulled off again.
I've been lurking around here for the last couple of weeks, but this is my first post.

I had my first test this afternoon and failed in the last 2 minutes (literally). I was turning left at a traffic lighted T junction, and as I got round the corner there was a pedestrian crossing that happened to be beside the traffic light for people coming from my right going straight on. I saw the pedestrians waiting, I saw the red light, and I stopped. :frown: Other than that I had 9 minors, 3 of which were for being a bit too slow on the NSL roads.

The most annoying thing is that thinking back I realise I subconsciously noticed the lack of stop line, and that there wasn't a light on my side of the road. Not that that helps me now, though.

I'm in Edinburgh atm, and moving down to Coventry to start teacher training at Warwick next week, so it's not even just a case of getting in for a cancellation as soon as I can. I can't get a test appointment outside school hours at either Coventry or Rugby (where my school is) anyway, so since it looks like I'm going to have to wait until October half term anyway I'm better off coming back up here and doing it with my current instructor, rather than spending time and money that I don't have getting used to a new car and the perils of new test routes down south. My other option is trying to get a Saturday cancellation if possible and coming up for the weekend. I really need to get it done as soon as I can, until I pass my commute to school is going to consist of a bus, a train, and then a 10 minute walk from the train station - all while carrying school supplies. *sigh*
I failed my 2nd test and not feeling to happy about it...naturally!

But strangely I'm not as down as when I failed my first test. On the first test, I was so close to passing I could smell the pass certificate paper! But I messed up on the cross roads. Was really depressed, couldn't sleep for maybe a week. :frown:

This time I failed (the test was in the morning) even I was amazed how many silly mistakes I had made. The nerves had got the better of me I suppose. One thing that didn't help was my instructor; just before the test Iwas praticing the manoeuvres, but he was constantly shouting at me and making me unsettled. By the time I hot to the test I was shattered! My advice is to do the pratice session well in advance so you give your self plenty of time to get prepared for the actual test.

I'm seriously thinking about changing my instructor, and I suggest any of you guys have similar experience to mine, consider it as well. My missus was really angry, not because I failed, but because I still haven't changed my instructor, which she suggested right after my first test failure. Because he did the same thing in my first test too, shouting and getting me all tensed up before the test.

Also I've been to the test centre countless times, and according to him we had covered all the routes. Well today I found that he hadn't as the examiner took me somewhere totally alien to me. Of course that shouldn't be an excuse, the rules of the road should apply no matter where you are. But it did take me by surprise somewhat.

I feel really down, but I have to believe that I will pass. It took my old man four times before he passed! So I won't giveup so easily! The downside Iis of course the money, it's so damn expensive, but if you can pass then that's the ultimate goal.

Any advice would be appreciated, and please don't hesitate to ask me anything! :smile:
Original post by fadedpages
I've been lurking around here for the last couple of weeks, but this is my first post.

I had my first test this afternoon and failed in the last 2 minutes (literally). I was turning left at a traffic lighted T junction, and as I got round the corner there was a pedestrian crossing that happened to be beside the traffic light for people coming from my right going straight on. I saw the pedestrians waiting, I saw the red light, and I stopped. :frown: Other than that I had 9 minors, 3 of which were for being a bit too slow on the NSL roads.

The most annoying thing is that thinking back I realise I subconsciously noticed the lack of stop line, and that there wasn't a light on my side of the road. Not that that helps me now, though.

I'm in Edinburgh atm, and moving down to Coventry to start teacher training at Warwick next week, so it's not even just a case of getting in for a cancellation as soon as I can. I can't get a test appointment outside school hours at either Coventry or Rugby (where my school is) anyway, so since it looks like I'm going to have to wait until October half term anyway I'm better off coming back up here and doing it with my current instructor, rather than spending time and money that I don't have getting used to a new car and the perils of new test routes down south. My other option is trying to get a Saturday cancellation if possible and coming up for the weekend. I really need to get it done as soon as I can, until I pass my commute to school is going to consist of a bus, a train, and then a 10 minute walk from the train station - all while carrying school supplies. *sigh*

I also failed my first test in literally the last 5 minutes. These things happen, just take the positives from the first test and move on. We have to believe that we will pass! It took my dad four tests before he passed, a friend of mine it took seven! And from the sound of your post, I certainly feel it won't take you that long! Hopefully next time you'll do it! :wink:
I can understand the inconvenience side of things, you could always try to call up the test centre to check for weekend cancellations. Hope that helps!
Failed today with 9 minors and 2 serious. Had 3 minors for gears because I was driving along this long road with a 50mph speed limit and was slowing down for bends but I was only changing gear when i was in the bend and should have done it as I was approaching which is fair enough. She did say that she liked how I block changed gears at least.

I got one serious for getting too close to a car where she said if I was any closer she would have had to move the steering wheel herself. The other was for observation at a junction but not sure what else I could have done for that. She did also mention that when I wait behind parked cars I need to show my intention to other drivers by pointing the car out a bit as she said cars behind me could think I'm parking. Overall she said to me I just need to tweak my driving a bit. Slightly annoyed because it's only little things and I'm now going to have to wait at least 2 months to do my test again. I'm fed up of driving lessons though so I think I'll leave it and maybe just do it again at the start of next year.
Reply 3157
Just read through some of these again and feel like even though I failed yesterday is that no-one should give up...I'm already booked in for my next lesson and as soon as a suitable test date comes up..I'm booking straight away. Everyone just keep going...perseverance shall pay off..I'm sure!
Failed my first driving test today.

What annoyed me most was the fact that if I hadn't of stalled 4 times, I wouldn't have picked up the serious.
Fingers crossed for next time. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3159
Hey, i just passed my test 2nd time after posting about failing on here the other week :smile:! Keep going guys just because you failed doesn't been your a bad driver. I actually loved both my tests as me and my examiner really clicked, failed 1st and was quite shocked he failed me for what he did especially after he said he really wanted to pass me as i pretty much drove perfectly:s-smilie: . I then got the same examiner next time and again we had a right laugh, at the end he said that he 'wanted to get me as he couldn't fail me again as I'm a good driver' pretty much admitting he got it wrong the first time. So tips; make sure your nice to your examiner, drive how you would normally, but most of time the driving test is just luck or bad luck, i know both mine were!

Latest

Trending

Trending