The Student Room Group

Best A-Levels for an Economics degree?

I am taking:
Maths
Economics
French
History

Will this suffice for an Economics degree? I know Further Maths is recommended by some universities and some prefer Economics. But I don't want to replace History and French since I enjoy those subjects at GCSE. I may consider doing Further Maths as a 5th subject, but the college I applied for doesn't recommend it and I think I will struggle with 5 subjects because I get mostly As, with the odd B and A* in some subjects at GCSE.

Any help is greatly appreciated :smile:.
Reply 1
That seems a pretty good combination for an Economics degree :smile: Of course further maths may be useful, but I don't think it's a necessity for studying Economics. It might be worth finding out if you'll be doing Statistics modules within Maths A-level though, because an Economics degree has a lot of statistics, and some universities would prefer you've done statistics rather than mechanics modules. :smile: Hope that helps!
Reply 2
I think the best 4 A level combo is probably:
Maths
Further maths
Economics
Science/language/good essay based subject.
Reply 3
Original post by Fool In The Rain
I am taking:
Maths
Economics
French
History

Will this suffice for an Economics degree? I know Further Maths is recommended by some universities and some prefer Economics. But I don't want to replace History and French since I enjoy those subjects at GCSE. I may consider doing Further Maths as a 5th subject, but the college I applied for doesn't recommend it and I think I will struggle with 5 subjects because I get mostly As, with the odd B and A* in some subjects at GCSE.

Have a think about which universities (early, I know) that might appeal to you, then visit their website to see what they recommend. A friend of mine is going to do Maths and Economics at LSE, took Maths, Spanish, Music Tech and Geography in the first year, dropped Music Tech and took up Further Maths in the second year, alongside his A2s.
Original post by Oromis263
Have a think about which universities (early, I know) that might appeal to you, then visit their website to see what they recommend. A friend of mine is going to do Maths and Economics at LSE, took Maths, Spanish, Music Tech and Geography in the first year, dropped Music Tech and took up Further Maths in the second year, alongside his A2s.

I've been doing that, strange I know. But it seems Manchester prefers Economics, Cambridge prefers Economics (I think Further Maths as well), Durham don't say anything (except Maths of course) but they have Economics WITH French :coma:. St Andrews just says AAA, but there's lots of joint honours...German (a LANGUAGE COLLEGE a.k.a. High School doesn't offer German at GCSE! Wish they did), no French :frown:. I'm interested in LSE, but I highly doubt that I'll get the 8A*s at GCSE to get in, besides, I got a B in French (stupid year 9 me :rolleyes:).

Edit: St Andrews lets you do German from scratch :smile:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
I've been doing that, strange I know. But it seems Manchester prefers Economics, Cambridge prefers Economics (I think Further Maths as well), Durham don't say anything (except Maths of course) but they have Economics WITH French :coma:. St Andrews just says AAA, but there's lots of joint honours...German (a LANGUAGE COLLEGE a.k.a. High School doesn't offer German at GCSE! Wish they did), no French :frown:. I'm interested in LSE, but I highly doubt that I'll get the 8A*s at GCSE to get in, besides, I got a B in French (stupid year 9 me :rolleyes:).

Edit: St Andrews lets you do German from scratch :smile:.

My friend got 4 or 5 A*s I think. He wrote a good personal statement, and just made sure he got a kickass reference. :smile:
Reply 6
you don't need economics, if you are going to replace any of those with further maths replace economics
Reply 7
You can always take up further maths AS in your A2 year if you feel it is necessary, that's what I did.
Reply 8
You could keep the 4 you want to do for AS. Then drop one at A2 level and take Further maths AS?
Reply 9
I am taking:
Maths
Economics
French
History

I wish I had read this before applying:

http://www.tutor2u.net/blog/files/UCAS-Economics-Advice-Spring2012.pdf

On another note, I recommend you do Further Maths at least to AS Level.

Quick Reply

Latest