The Student Room Group

Guys, which one is more important for you?

Guys, please tell me what is your honest feeling?

Is it more impirtant to get a good degree or just a degree as an artist? Coz I am in a situation where if I carry on, there is a great I might not be abel to get my 2.1, coz I have been ill for quite some time, and so I am very behidn on my course. I have got 2 Ds recently, which I believe it would play a fairly important part in my final class. (I coudl still get a 2.1, you never know with art)

If I take some time off, start again in Sept 2008, I would have a better chance to get my 2.1, but then of cause it wil be a risk, coz no one knows what will happen, I might be ill again... who knows...

So either way, I am at risk of not getting a 2.1, but if I do it next year than this, I shall have a better chance, at least this is what I think.

What would you do?

PS. I have been a good 2.1 since day 1 of uni, until I started getting ill...

Thanks
Reply 1
Hm, I was thinking about this recently; because I'm struggling with my course at the moment due to the teamwork aspects - and people in my team just not making an effort.

Whilst it'd be nice to get a good degree; if I do end up with a 2:2, I won't be too disappointed - because it's the actual education I want, not the piece of paper at the end. As long as I've learnt the skills, I'll be able to do what's required of me in the job.

With something like Law, Accounting etc; academic subjects; you need to be able to prove the correct academic skills by having a good degree to get a decent job - but artists, I think, don't need this so much - they need the skills, but the degree grade itself doesn't mean as much.

Though, of course, it'd be nice to have a good degree grade anyway; and I still hope for one, as I'm sure you are.

I'd just say that it's best to consider whether you have that extra time to spare to try and get a 2:1, and whether you'll still have the motivation to handle carrying on for longer. If so, you may as well give it a go; but if you'd rather just get it over with, I doubt it'll cause you much trouble in the future if you don't get a 2:1. :smile:
Hey thanks for the reply. I did some maths yesterday, for the 2 Ds I have got recently, I would be somewhere around 70%, which means I am at risk of getting a 2.2 or if I am lucky, then I would get a 2.1. (at our uni, 2.2 - 60 - 69 and 2.1 - 70 - 84, it's quite high isn't it?) I suppose I will carry on, coz as many of my frds say, I might well end up getting the same marks if I was to wait till next year, coz it's art... but regardless what I get, I am still not happy with myself for the input I have put into my projects in the past few months...
Reply 3
P for Photographer
Hey thanks for the reply. I did some maths yesterday, for the 2 Ds I have got recently, I would be somewhere around 70%, which means I am at risk of getting a 2.2 or if I am lucky, then I would get a 2.1. (at our uni, 2.2 - 60 - 69 and 2.1 - 70 - 84, it's quite high isn't it?) I suppose I will carry on, coz as many of my frds say, I might well end up getting the same marks if I was to wait till next year, coz it's art... but regardless what I get, I am still not happy with myself for the input I have put into my projects in the past few months...

Aw; sorry to hear that you've had all of that trouble - but remember, it's not the end of the world; and it's not your fault you were ill either.

If you can look back on your degree, and know that you've learnt from it, and would be able to do your required job once you graduate, that's what counts.

And yep, no point spending even longer on the degree if you're thinking you might come out with the same anyway.

Hope you get a 2:1 though; good luck! :biggrin:

Latest