The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

All i know is they look absolutely awful. Apparently though there are a lot of people who want to change once they're settled in, and it's quite easy to do this. Maybe you will be able to get moved to somewhere else in time if you don't like it..
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 821
Anyone got a place on campus that wants to live in the village next year let me knowwww!
Reply 822
happy watermelon
True, it is cheaper I suppose :smile: He's in NT C-Block, are you?

I've got my offer, I'm in standard twin too and in NT-C Block....kinda sucks because I really didn't wanna share :/ don't you think the whole set up is a bit weird where one person has two wardrobes and the other person has two desks? Hope I can move lol
They're not thatttt bad. It's not ideal, but its a lot cheaper.

I lived in Suffolk Terrace last year and both of the twin rooms in our flat only had one person in each :smile: This might happen to you, you never know!

I can't find any good photos of the lay out of a twin room, but heres my best paint attempt :P

Rainchild
I just got my email! :biggrin: I'm in the Village- Yew :biggrin: I'm so excited now!

Me too! So far on this thread that makes me, you and xXxBaby-BooxXx all living in Yew! Yay! Would be totally freaky if we were all in the same flat lol:smile:
Faerlan
I've been given my accommodation, and it's in the university village, which I'm mostly ok with (since it's ensuite but not as expensive).

However, I'm worried that because there are fewer people in each flat, I won't find anyone I get on well with. I'm also worried that because it's off campus I won't be able to spend as much time with my friends on campus.

I just wondered if anyone who lived in the university village could give me some advice. Thank you (:

Don't worry about finding people to get on well since I think we're all thinking the same lol (i know i am). You're quite welcome to come round to me for a cuppa anyway. I'm not a psychopath...honest:p:
xXhellokittyXx
Me too! So far on this thread that makes me, you and xXxBaby-BooxXx all living in Yew! Yay! Would be totally freaky if we were all in the same flat lol:smile:

Haha but also kind of awesome :awesome: What are you studying? And also if you join the official village facebook group, then there is a discussion going on for everyone living in Yew :biggrin: There's 4 of us so far :smile:
Reply 827
Courtenayyy
They're not thatttt bad. It's not ideal, but its a lot cheaper.

I lived in Suffolk Terrace last year and both of the twin rooms in our flat only had one person in each :smile: This might happen to you, you never know!

I can't find any good photos of the lay out of a twin room, but heres my best paint attempt :P

lol! arww thanks. is theres like a screen you pull across or not? :s-smilie: i read somewhere that its a screened off area with a sink, then a large study area. also.. the people who had a twin room to themselves .. im assuming they just paid the normal rent ?
emma034
lol! arww thanks. is theres like a screen you pull across or not? :s-smilie: i read somewhere that its a screened off area with a sink, then a large study area. also.. the people who had a twin room to themselves .. im assuming they just paid the normal rent ?

Awww poo, forgot to draw the sink in haha Theres one sink beside the wardrobe in the first little bedroom bit.
But no theres no screened off bit. But there is two distinct sections, if you know what I mean.
It works out fine if you really get on with the person with you, but not so great if you don't :/

Yeah the people who had the twin room to themselves by chance and not choice, paid £65 a week.

I'd enquire about getting your room changed when you get there to be honest. You could probably get transferred to a different room/building without too much trouble.
xXhellokittyXx

Awesome! :biggrin: It's going to be so much fun, I'm sure we'll all get along really well! Can't wait!

By the way, what's the link to the Facebook group for the village? I haven't had an invite, but can't find it anywhere!
Rainchild
Awesome! :biggrin: It's going to be so much fun, I'm sure we'll all get along really well! Can't wait!

By the way, what's the link to the Facebook group for the village? I haven't had an invite, but can't find it anywhere!

There you go :smile:

http://www.facebook.com/index.php?lh=48f00e40757b402448669f4d57051d28&eu=uM5xrL-JFwFO6HFAsoC3gA#!/group.php?gid=130477093664097&ref=ts
Thanks! :smile: I requested to join it, so just have to wait until they accept me :P
Porty
I've got my offer, I'm in standard twin too and in NT-C Block....kinda sucks because I really didn't wanna share :/ don't you think the whole set up is a bit weird where one person has two wardrobes and the other person has two desks? Hope I can move lol

I know what you mean :frown: and exactly, it's great that they have 2 seperate sleeping areas, but they still have to go into eachothers 'room' to use either the wardrobe or desk which seems a bit silly really... surely it would have been better to put a wardrobe and desk in each 'room'!

Also just realised it's bank holiday monday and therefore you can't call them... and offers were sent friday after closing time, aand you only have 5 days to accept or reject the offer. so that's fri, sat, sun, mon, which means tomorrow must be your last day?? reeeally bad of uea to give out offers like that, especially seeing as they must have known that twin room people would want to call up to ask if they can be put on the list to be changed!
kpwxx
From what I remember, if they don't have enough 'single' rooms they often allocate norfolk and suffolk twin rooms to only one person, then charge them the normal single rate.

I'm not saying this is definitely what has happened here, by any means (so don't get too hopeful) but it definitely happens, since I got told by someone on the open day that the twin room in their flat was like that.

If however he is sharing, try to look on the bright side. He gets the same bathroom and kitchen facilities as everyone else in the flat, the beds are divided, so it's almost sort of like having a separate room and you may make a really good friend through it. When it comes to say, him having you staying over, I'm sure that every now and then they could sleep around a friend's flat to give the other some privacy. And it will be sooooooo much cheaper, to the extent that if you really wanted you could use the extra money to rent a travelodge room every now and then :smile:

If you are really unhappy with your room placement, you can go when you arrive to talk to the office, and they will put you on a list. Then they will try and find a room for you when one frees up (prioritising based on the reason for changing). I know a friend who got changed from village to en-suite campus a couple of weeks in, because he didn't get on very well with his flat mates and was feeling a bit alone in his flat. As people move around, more rooms free up throughout the year. It may be worth emailing them beforehand, I would imagine financial reasons would be the most 'important' reason for changing but they do consider everyone I think :smile: but also, you could just pop in once you arrive- hopefully UEAAccommodation can clarify whether or not to email or wait.

The last paragraph above also applies to you.

xxx

yeah, I know what you mean about it might be better, but it depends on who you're sharing with I suppose!! best-case scenario he's on his own in the room, and UEA have also said there might be opportunities for those in twin rooms to change before the start of uni anyway. we shall see!! gonna have to call tomorrow as today is bank holiday :frown:
Snap to the above, I'm really gutted as got my like 6th choice, in Suffolk terrace a twin and I really didnt want to share a room :frown:

Its frustrating, I agree with the person above about them sending out offers on bank holiday as can't call up.

Does anyone know if there's any private halls in Norwich?

x
Reply 835
All Black Everything
Does anybody know how far Mary Chapman court is from Campus?

From the look of it, it's in Duke Street. Not that far. About an hour by foot.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=duke+street+norwich&daddr=Norwich,+Norfolk+NR4+7+(University+of+East+Anglia)&geocode=FZAdIwMdyLgTACmPreHf3ePZRzFEDqRjPXwXNw%3BFebzIgMd-_4SACGV8Mq7LR_K1w&hl=en&mra=pd&mrcr=0&dirflg=w&sll=52.627223,1.267101&sspn=0.039699,0.111494&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=15

The other Mary Chapman Court is beyond Thorpe St Andrew, which is bloody miles. But I think that's a care home.
xXxBaby-BooxXx
Haha but also kind of awesome :awesome: What are you studying? And also if you join the official village facebook group, then there is a discussion going on for everyone living in Yew :biggrin: There's 4 of us so far :smile:

I'm studying History so excited:woo: but a little scared too cos it's reasonably far from Stoke-on-Trent to Norwich (about 5 hours on the train). Just off to join the facebook group anyway:smile:
xXhellokittyXx
I'm studying History so excited:woo: but a little scared too cos it's reasonably far from Stoke-on-Trent to Norwich (about 5 hours on the train). Just off to join the facebook group anyway:smile:

I'm near Leicester myself, so I know how you feel about the distance! I'm studying Psychology, and I'm so excited! Can't wait to meet other people staying in the village (particularly Yew) :biggrin:
Reply 838
happy watermelon
I know what you mean :frown: and exactly, it's great that they have 2 seperate sleeping areas, but they still have to go into eachothers 'room' to use either the wardrobe or desk which seems a bit silly really... surely it would have been better to put a wardrobe and desk in each 'room'!

Also just realised it's bank holiday monday and therefore you can't call them... and offers were sent friday after closing time, aand you only have 5 days to accept or reject the offer. so that's fri, sat, sun, mon, which means tomorrow must be your last day?? reeeally bad of uea to give out offers like that, especially seeing as they must have known that twin room people would want to call up to ask if they can be put on the list to be changed!

Yep, exactly! I've accepted the offer anyway as I read somewhere on the website that you've only definitely got that room once you get the keys..who knows :/ was scared I'd lose my whole offer completely if I didn't accept! But it is really bad of UEA I agree. Will see what they say tomorrow...
xXhellokittyXx

Hello

RainChild

I see you've both joined the group, I'm the Amy on there :ninja:

Latest

Trending

Trending