The Student Room Group

Chance of Offers (LAW): LSE, UCL, KCL, Bristol, Queen Marys

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MarcvsAntonivs
Oh, that's ok, then. I might have missed a piece of information in my reply, ie that these are the offer standards for law specifically. As to exceptions, my friend got in with 40 pts. for physics, with his initial condition stated as 41. After a month or so awaiting for their final say, they agreed to let him in. Lucky him!
What a pity I was rejected after the interview. It would be nice to study there, nevertheless, I am really happy with QMUL's law department after all. It's usually ranked top 3-5 these days, which is not bad considering rankings only. I appreciate the academic staff the most, though. Most of them are renowned UoL/Oxbridge graduates.
One further piece of advice to anyone applying for unis. Go and see universities for yourself. This will save you future disappointments. Open days are a good idea for that. Seriously, knowing your university beforehand is very important. Even though I, of course, would be probably proud now being an Oxford-student if I hadn't been rejected after the interview, I am not sure I would like my college ( St. Hugh's College ), which looked horrible and was located in the suburbs of Oxford, unlike most of the famous colleges.

Again, thanks for your response contractlaw and best regards!

PS What do you study at Oxford? Which college?

The offer for 36 and 24 was for law (the 24 was Law with Europe whateverness)
I didnt go to Oxford Law, I am at Lancaster for year 1 and will be doing year 2 and 3 at the LSE.
You have a good academic record there- particularly strong predictions, so I'm sure you stand a decent chance of getting offers. Out of all of your choices, LSE may be a bit of a long shot due to your lack of A*s at gcse but if you perform well in lnat that could compensate. Best of luck!
Original post by kbountra
You have a good academic record there- particularly strong predictions, so I'm sure you stand a decent chance of getting offers. Out of all of your choices, LSE may be a bit of a long shot due to your lack of A*s at gcse but if you perform well in lnat that could compensate. Best of luck!

Thanks. LSE don't use the LNAT so it is literally the biggest long shot :frown: I only found out about this whole GCSE thing when I got onto this site after sending off my UCAS app. so I was really surprised and dissapointed. Anyway, thanks, now I play the waiting game.
Reply 23
Original post by dog24
i jsut got rejected from lse for law, I had A*A*A* and 6A* 4A at Gcse, so ye..

Thats doesnt mean they're GCSE nazis obviously even I know that they are harsh when it comes to GCSE's but your GCSE's are pretty darn good and people get into LSE with around 4 A*, it just means one other part of your application wasnt that great!
Original post by contractlaw
The offer for 36 and 24 was for law (the 24 was Law with Europe whateverness)
I didnt go to Oxford Law, I am at Lancaster for year 1 and will be doing year 2 and 3 at the LSE.

Hi, can you explain your situation regarding a transfer to LSE?

If not, it's fine =)
Reply 25
LSE is weird. :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by linkd95
Thats doesnt mean they're GCSE nazis obviously even I know that they are harsh when it comes to GCSE's but your GCSE's are pretty darn good and people get into LSE with around 4 A*, it just means one other part of your application wasnt that great!

no they told me it was because of my GCSE's
Reply 27
LSE= international student only, that's what they are selling themselves to be.
Reply 28
Original post by Lawlet

Is it good or bad?
Reply 29
Original post by qcdang
Is it good or bad?

well to me, no, because i wouldn't even think about LSE.
Reply 30
Original post by Lawlet
well to me, no, because i wouldn't even think about LSE.

Why wouldnt you choose LSE?
Reply 31
Original post by qcdang
Why wouldnt you choose LSE?

Cause they only accept international students
Original post by High As A Kite
Hi, can you explain your situation regarding a transfer to LSE?

If not, it's fine =)

Sorry this took me ages to see- Basically i got an offer (37 ib points), missed it (got 36), got a remark (up to 39) so they are letting me in for 2nd year
Reply 33
Original post by DivineIntervention
Firstly, new to this...old account...first thread.

If any of you have spare time I would appreciate some input. May seem a bit odd me asking you to assess my situation as it were but meh I need to gain some perspective.

GCSE: 2 A*, 6 A, 1 B
AS: Maths A, Philo A, ClassCiv A, EngLit B
A2 predictions: Philo A*, ClassCiv A*, EngLit A
LNAT taken, results pending
Personal Statement: Medium-Strong (Obviously opinionated)

Uni's applied to for LLB (M100) [a law degree for those who don't know]:

LSE
UCL
KCL
Bristol
Queen Marys

Give me my chances straight, Offers etc. BUT PLEASE BACK UP YOUR CLAIMS! e.g. "My friend got XYZ and applied to ABC and got offers...
*Remember this is for a Law degree, all general input would still be appreciated.

Lastly, thanks for reading and posting.:smile:

I applied for law last year, I can't speak in connection with most of those unis, bar Bristol, which I applied to and got rejected from.
GCSEs; 4A*s and 5As!
AS grades: A (Eng lit) A (French) A (Sociology) A (General Studies) C (History)
A2 grades: A* (Sociology) A (Eng lit) A (History) B (French) A* (General Studies) - I didn't drop any!
My personal statement was also Medium to Strong!
What let me down was my LNAT which I truly screwed up with a shameful mark of 13!!!! So I think that could be important. Your grades are good, but I'd be wary of the fact you haven't really got a feasible insurance type uni! xx
Original post by helz_91
I applied for law last year, I can't speak in connection with most of those unis, bar Bristol, which I applied to and got rejected from.
GCSEs; 4A*s and 5As!
AS grades: A (Eng lit) A (French) A (Sociology) A (General Studies) C (History)
A2 grades: A* (Sociology) A (Eng lit) A (History) B (French) A* (General Studies) - I didn't drop any!
My personal statement was also Medium to Strong!
What let me down was my LNAT which I truly screwed up with a shameful mark of 13!!!! So I think that could be important. Your grades are good, but I'd be wary of the fact you haven't really got a feasible insurance type uni! xx

I KNOW! exactly this has happened. I got a Queen Mary offer, but UCL rejected me due to LNAT and now I regrett applying to so many LNAT unis. sigh, thanks for the post though.
Reply 35
People are saying be cautious with the LNAT, and they're right (didn't work out first time around for me when I applied to 3.)
But I did the same again, and it worked out.

If you're going to apply to a few LNAT unis, make sure you're actually going to do well (i.e. practice, buy a book on it and make sure your essay writing skills are good.)

EDIT: Didn't check the intial date of the OP. Please imagine this post back in the days of yore.

I would have expected you to get a QMUL offer, KCL probably, Bristol probably (dependent on LNAT,) UCL heavily dependent on LNAT (as in, if you didn't get... 30+? I don't think you'd have been given an offer) and LSE I wouldn't have expected you to get an offer (purely because they demand almost perfect GCSE grades from what I've heard.)

Please update this thread at the end of the year with what actually happened though, we'll be able to see what those unis actually look for, because your GCSEs are quite good, A-Level predictions too, so it'll be interesting.

EDIT II: Also, should add, well done on getting into QMUL, if nothing else, you're into a top 10 Law School.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Lawlet

Funnily enough, although I'm careful with believing most university rumours, this one I really do believe as I went there to visit and I gotta say it looks a bit like a money maker. More internationals = more dosh.

Original post by Mann18
People are saying be cautious with the LNAT, and they're right (didn't work out first time around for me when I applied to 3.)
But I did the same again, and it worked out.

If you're going to apply to a few LNAT unis, make sure you're actually going to do well (i.e. practice, buy a book on it and make sure your essay writing skills are good.)

EDIT: Didn't check the intial date of the OP. Please imagine this post back in the days of yore.

I would have expected you to get a QMUL offer, KCL probably, Bristol probably (dependent on LNAT,) UCL heavily dependent on LNAT (as in, if you didn't get... 30+? I don't think you'd have been given an offer) and LSE I wouldn't have expected you to get an offer (purely because they demand almost perfect GCSE grades from what I've heard.)

Please update this thread at the end of the year with what actually happened though, we'll be able to see what those unis actually look for, because your GCSEs are quite good, A-Level predictions too, so it'll be interesting.

EDIT II: Also, should add, well done on getting into QMUL, if nothing else, you're into a top 10 Law School.

Thanks "mann" (lol) I see you around the Law Applicants thread a lot and I would've really appreiciated that advice when applying (no one else gave it to me)

Purely because I didn't know about the LNAT till I started looking at university admissions and really didn't know how much it meant.

My two mistakes were not really researching the universities properly and then taking the LNAT extremely casually (I did one practice exam from there website the night before when I should've revised like it was a real exam)

Either way UCL rejected me on the basis of LNAT so I'm really worried for KCL and Bristol. LSE I doubted from the moment I put it on my application, If I weren't so lazy I might've got for Oxford.

Thanks anyway :smile:
Hey :smile: Well I have an offer from QM with A's at AS in English Lit, Economics & Philosophy and Ethics, and a C in History

I'm predicted A*AA, so I'm sure you have a shot :biggrin: I was rejected from UCL for my LNAT, and I've heard quite a few stories about how they are really strict on it...since you have three LNAT universities, it could be risky, but I guess you never know unless you try. I know a girl who holds an offer from Cambridge with ABBB at AS-Level so anything is possible :wink: Albeit it wasn't for Law but still, Cambridge is Cambridge :wink:

Oh and for GCSEs I have 6A*s and 3 A's, and I haven't heard anything from LSE (most people haven't though so that doesn't really mean anything.)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by SpriteOrSevenUp
Hey :smile: Well I have an offer from QM with A's at AS in English Lit, Economics & Philosophy and Ethics, and a C in History

I'm predicted A*AA, so I'm sure you have a shot :biggrin: I was rejected from UCL for my LNAT, and I've heard quite a few stories about how they are really strict on it...since you have three LNAT universities, it could be risky, but I guess you never know unless you try. I know a girl who holds an offer from Cambridge with ABBB at AS-Level so anything is possible :wink: Albeit it wasn't for Law but still, Cambridge is Cambridge :wink:

Oh and for GCSEs I have 6A*s and 3 A's, and I haven't heard anything from LSE (most people haven't though so that doesn't really mean anything.)

Snap (on offers and rejections)

Hmn, yeah I guess you're right. It's just waiting time now...Thanks for the encouragement.

Good luck with the rest of your offers.

:smile:
Original post by DivineIntervention
Snap (on offers and rejections)

Hmn, yeah I guess you're right. It's just waiting time now...Thanks for the encouragement.

Good luck with the rest of your offers.

:smile:

Thanks :smile: You too. I guess I'm not the only one who was defeated by UCL lol. It was my first choice as well :frown::frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending