The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by Ulo
Thanks so much guys, I really couldn't have done it without this thread showing me I wasn't the only one in that situation - it felt like everyone I knew had a string of A* grades and was off to Oxbridge while I was left wondering what to do next!
I spent the whole day at work, oblivious to the mess. I do recall that sick feeling though, I think I started crying and retching - sooooo not a good look. But I am so much more appreciative and I don't think I'm the dog's *******s the way I used to so that can only be a good thing! A difficult but beneficial experience :smile:

completely agree with this :smile: not sure i would have reapplied if it wasnt for this thread. i had such an overwhelming number of questions and emotions on results day (and for many days thereafter) i was too exhausted to even consider reapplying. dont want to get too emotional , but thanks so much to ImWithTheBand for starting this thread, really helped me throught the last 7 months :colondollar:
Original post by Ulo
Thanks so much guys, I really couldn't have done it without this thread showing me I wasn't the only one in that situation - it felt like everyone I knew had a string of A* grades and was off to Oxbridge while I was left wondering what to do next!
I spent the whole day at work, oblivious to the mess. I do recall that sick feeling though, I think I started crying and retching - sooooo not a good look. But I am so much more appreciative and I don't think I'm the dog's *******s the way I used to so that can only be a good thing! A difficult but beneficial experience :smile:

Well done on the offer!

I agree with you. This year spent reapplying, resitting and now working full-time has been beneficial to me even though some people will view it as a waste of a year (because I had offers last year). This emotionally-hard year's been much better for me as a person than travelling through SE Asia/Australasia, though granted a leeeetle less enjoyable at times. I've grown up. And I reckon I am much less likely to fail any med school exams having been caught out by my own lack of hard work once before!

So thanks to everyone for the support and shared experience.

Fingers crossed for those still waiting..... Pythia, any news?

I have AAAa grades now. I'm going to firm Sheffield and I really can't see any need to insurance Lancaster....... do I need an insurance med school if I already have the grades?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 562
Original post by ImWithTheBand
Well done on the offer!

I agree with you. This year spent reapplying, resitting and now working full-time has been beneficial to me even though some people will view it as a waste of a year (because I had offers last year). This emotionally-hard year's been much better for me as a person than travelling through SE Asia/Australasia, though granted a leeeetle less enjoyable at times. I've grown up. And I reckon I am much less likely to fail any med school exams having been caught out by my own lack of hard work once before!

I have AAAa grades now. I'm going to firm Sheffield and I really can't see any need to insurance Lancaster....... do I need an insurance med school if I already have the grades?

can you even put an insurance one if you have unconditional?

hopefully we've shown it is possible to get what you want if you don't give up/ put in a kick-ass application! people who miss places this year will also get the double whammy of higher tuition fees so they'll really need some encouragement in august/september.
Reply 563
Original post by funtimes5
completely agree with this :smile: not sure i would have reapplied if it wasnt for this thread. i had such an overwhelming number of questions and emotions on results day (and for many days thereafter) i was too exhausted to even consider reapplying. dont want to get too emotional , but thanks so much to ImWithTheBand for starting this thread, really helped me throught the last 7 months :colondollar:

are you firming newcastle? I have.
Reply 564
Original post by conorcd
are you firming newcastle? I have.

probably. but i havent heard back from UEA yet so i cant! also liverpool is luring me away a little bit. decide for me please :smile:
Reply 565
Original post by funtimes5
probably. but i havent heard back from UEA yet so i cant! also liverpool is luring me away a little bit. decide for me please :smile:

do the coin flip. if it lands on newcastle and you're disappointed, then you must really want Liverpool.so many unis are sending really late decisions this year!
Reply 566
Hell yeah there are resit success stories!
I'm living proof mate xD!

Before my A2 year i was diagnosed with Hodgkins disease, which as you can imagine was disruptive of my studies to say the least. Hospital visits and chemotherapy meant I was in school for about 3 to 4 days a week MAX. And when i wasnt in hospital i had to catch up on everything i missed in lessons whilst trying to keep up with all the new stuff we were learning. Inspite of this i still sent off my UCAS to do medicine for 2010 entry. Needless to say because of all the S**t that was going on at the time, my application was not the best and i got 4 outright rejections.

This was truely devistating. I got my last rejection, around the same time I was finishing my Chemo which was around end of March 2010, which believe me is not a good time for those two things to overlap! End of chemo is probably the most overwhelming and emotional time during cancer care (usefull little tip for you fellow future doctors!) and that ontop of 4 rejections was a nasty blow.

What i had to do now is to decide weather I still wanted to do medicine or to do something else. This was tough but I opted for a Gap year, and the remaning 2 months before exams, to work my balls sore! I also had to resit ALLL january exams because the results were so crap, cos i was out of school sick as hell most of the time, and to learn all the new stuff for june exams. I worked my arse off and despite all that crap I actually got AAB by the end of my A2 year and that felt absolutley brilliant.

Unfortunatley, my B was in Chemistry, which was a MAJOR drawback when it comes to applying to medicine. Nevertheless I did my research and made sure I applied to unis which were alright with resits due to mitigating circumstances, and actually ringing the university up is very very helpfull. I ended up applying to UEA, Leeds, Lancaster and liverpool.

Beggining my Gap year, i found a pretty much full time job working at a GAME shop and began revising for my chemistry resits. Now working at a Game shop during christmas is F*****g MANIC! doing 40+ hours a week AND finding time to study was not easy. BUT come results day the sheet read out all A's :smile:. By this point i got rejected from Leeds and UEA outright and I had an interview at Lancaster, which went horribly wrong so i got rejected from there as well. Two weeks after my interview at liverpool i got my offer and it was the most amazing feeling i have ever had. To know that two years of grafting and hard work didnt go to waiste was just incredible.

So i'll wrap up by saying this, think and ask yourself, do you really want to do medicine, are you really willing to put in the hard work and the effort to succeed, and to throw yourself into a career which is going to require immense amount of dedication and commitment? If so, GO FOR IT! Hard work pays off, believe me. Having to resit is not the end of the world, and it doesnt mean a path to medicine is impossible. It's just bloody hard...

Now I'm cancer free, I got an offer to study medicine at liverpool, I got loads of money saved up in the bank for uni, and i have 5 months to just enjoy life! :smile:

Hope I havnt bored you guys too much! :smile:
Reply 567
Original post by manumvp
Hell yeah there are resit success stories!
I'm living proof mate xD!

Before my A2 year i was diagnosed with Hodgkins disease, which as you can imagine was disruptive of my studies to say the least. Hospital visits and chemotherapy meant I was in school for about 3 to 4 days a week MAX. And when i wasnt in hospital i had to catch up on everything i missed in lessons whilst trying to keep up with all the new stuff we were learning. Inspite of this i still sent off my UCAS to do medicine for 2010 entry. Needless to say because of all the S**t that was going on at the time, my application was not the best and i got 4 outright rejections.

This was truely devistating. I got my last rejection, around the same time I was finishing my Chemo which was around end of March 2010, which believe me is not a good time for those two things to overlap! End of chemo is probably the most overwhelming and emotional time during cancer care (usefull little tip for you fellow future doctors!) and that ontop of 4 rejections was a nasty blow.

What i had to do now is to decide weather I still wanted to do medicine or to do something else. This was tough but I opted for a Gap year, and the remaning 2 months before exams, to work my balls sore! I also had to resit ALLL january exams because the results were so crap, cos i was out of school sick as hell most of the time, and to learn all the new stuff for june exams. I worked my arse off and despite all that crap I actually got AAB by the end of my A2 year and that felt absolutley brilliant.

Unfortunatley, my B was in Chemistry, which was a MAJOR drawback when it comes to applying to medicine. Nevertheless I did my research and made sure I applied to unis which were alright with resits due to mitigating circumstances, and actually ringing the university up is very very helpfull. I ended up applying to UEA, Leeds, Lancaster and liverpool.

Beggining my Gap year, i found a pretty much full time job working at a GAME shop and began revising for my chemistry resits. Now working at a Game shop during christmas is F*****g MANIC! doing 40+ hours a week AND finding time to study was not easy. BUT come results day the sheet read out all A's :smile:. By this point i got rejected from Leeds and UEA outright and I had an interview at Lancaster, which went horribly wrong so i got rejected from there as well. Two weeks after my interview at liverpool i got my offer and it was the most amazing feeling i have ever had. To know that two years of grafting and hard work didnt go to waiste was just incredible.

So i'll wrap up by saying this, think and ask yourself, do you really want to do medicine, are you really willing to put in the hard work and the effort to succeed, and to throw yourself into a career which is going to require immense amount of dedication and commitment? If so, GO FOR IT! Hard work pays off, believe me. Having to resit is not the end of the world, and it doesnt mean a path to medicine is impossible. It's just bloody hard...

Now I'm cancer free, I got an offer to study medicine at liverpool, I got loads of money saved up in the bank for uni, and i have 5 months to just enjoy life! :smile:

Hope I havnt bored you guys too much! :smile:

you'd think the unis/exam boards would have cut you some slack when they read what you were going through but obviously not. you didn't bore us-you made us feel proud that there will be doctors who deserve their title and will really understand how their patients feel. wish you were coming to newcastle so we could have a drink together. enjoy the rest of your year off-you've earned it!
Reply 568
Original post by ImWithTheBand
Well done on the offer!

Got into Peninsula, pretty sure I'm going to take it. Now to get those grades!
Reply 569
Original post by manumvp
x

Amazing story. Congratulations, well deserved.
Reply 570
Hello fellow re-sitters, I needed some help.

Could somebody please tell me how to study, because it seems I am crap at it. I feel like I've tried everything (revision cards, posters, colourful stuff, reading around the subject, tonnes and tonnes of exam papers), I haven't retaken the year at school, I just work part time and spend all the rest of my time studying (although I admit, I didn't study much yesterday due to the India vs Pakistan cricket match).

I have to get those grades. I'm sitting the following in June;
Chem 2 currently 82/120 need 95/120
Chem 4 currently 96/120 Need anything higher
Chem 5 currently 81/120 need 95/120
Biol 1 currently 76/100 need 86/100
Biol 5 currently 93/140 need 120/140

Any opinions appreciated, even ones that tell me that I won't get the grades. If people have advice on books, music to listen to while studying, scents for the room that I'm studying in, brands of water to drink, times of day to study, basically anything at all, I'll take it :smile:

Thanks in advance, you amazing people!
Reply 571
Original post by Pythia

Could somebody please tell me how to study, because it seems I am crap at it. I feel like I've tried everything (revision cards, posters, colourful stuff, reading around the subject, tonnes and tonnes of exam papers), I haven't retaken the year at school, I just work part time and spend all the rest of my time studying (although I admit, I didn't study much yesterday due to the India vs Pakistan cricket match).

Any opinions appreciated, even ones that tell me that I won't get the grades. If people have advice on books, music to listen to while studying, scents for the room that I'm studying in, brands of water to drink, times of day to study, basically anything at all, I'll take it :smile:

can you ask if you can attend any lessons at school or re-sit AS/A2 practicals through them? if not can you afford a tutor? is anyone you knw doing the exams so you can have a revision/test buddy? I think that all helps. otherwise its just doing every practice q on every website/listening to podcasts etc.
Reply 572
Original post by conorcd
can you ask if you can attend any lessons at school or re-sit AS/A2 practicals through them? if not can you afford a tutor? is anyone you knw doing the exams so you can have a revision/test buddy? I think that all helps. otherwise its just doing every practice q on every website/listening to podcasts etc.

umm:
School won't let me attend lessons.
Can't resit practicals.
Wouldn't know what to do with a tutor, could get one though?
Nobody I knew is sitting them.
Ooh, what kind of podcasts? where from?
Reply 573
Pracicals depend on the school, i was allowed to redo mine... but it's totally up to the school/college weather they let you do em again.
Reply 574
Original post by manumvp
Pracicals depend on the school, i was allowed to redo mine... but it's totally up to the school/college weather they let you do em again.

I asked mine and they said no because I am no longer a full time student. :frown:
Reply 575
Original post by Pythia
I asked mine and they said no because I am no longer a full time student. :frown:

wow, that sucks sorry to hear that.. :frown: if you really HAVE to redo practicals then is to find out what centers in your area allow you to redo them and ask them if you can sit your practical there...

otherwise its a case of doing amazingly well on your written exams to make up for lost marks
Reply 576
Original post by Pythia
umm:
School won't let me attend lessons.
Can't resit practicals.
Wouldn't know what to do with a tutor, could get one though?
Nobody I knew is sitting them.
Ooh, what kind of podcasts? where from?

will find the links I used and send them. I also watched a lot of youtube videos from teachers and students-just type in the topic name.
tutors may be expensive and you'd be better finding one that's recommended rather than just from internet but if you're worried it will be worth it.
your school are being unfair-you can pay to do practical resits but contact local colleges quickly as they must b done by mid May
Reply 577
Original post by Pythia

It seems you're doing the AQA bio course? It's a total bitch, especially the ISAs but the things that helped me the most were a) getting to grips with data handling. Most of the course isn't about writing down what you know but applying it in unfamiliar scenarios (who can forget the shrew in a sticky tube from jan '10?)
erm also getting the specs off the site and working through module by module, objective by objective, highlighting the things i knew and working on those i didn't. i recommend buying the nelson thornes textbook written for the spec if you haven't already, it's mercenary but it is PRECISELY what you need to know for the exam. here's the document http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2410-W-SP.PDF
for data handling, past papers helped loads as well as some other more mathsy material

i'll have a think about the chem and get back to you - but good luck
Original post by Pythia

Read everything in your textbook. Make notes on everything in your textbook. Condense your notes. Do all the questions in your textbook. Do every past paper you can get your hands on. Repeat.
Original post by Pythia

Your school are being unhelpful. I'm no longer a student and my old school allowed me to sit a practical.

Is it worth trying those crammer tutorial colleges in London (also in St Albans, Oxford, Cambridge etc) - you would pay to sit the practical but under the circs, that's surely worthwhile? I think the crammers deal with ALL exams boards.

Very best of luck, you can do it!

Latest

Trending

Trending