The Student Room Group

What happens if I fail AS-Levels?

Not dealing with this well. Went from B-A* in GCSE to a (single) U in Jan exams and now, I have a feeling I have to resit this whole year as my sixth form requires a minimum of 4 D's to continue to year 13. I am being stupid, yes. But what are the exact consequences?

I've got my mind on LLB Law.. haven't researched uni's properly as I've left the pile of prospectuses for after exams.. but vaguely - Sussex, Warwick, UEA, Exeter.... urgh.

Should I completely forget about those names if what I fear will happen, takes place?

P.S. I do Politics, History, English Lit and Economics and am supposed to achieve AAAB (B for Politics.. as I got the U for that)
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The TSR hitman hunts you down. :ninja:
Reply 2
Drop a subject (Universities only require 3)
Focus and start revising today like proper hardcore revising. You still have a month left.
Oh and get off TSR I'm suppose to be revising yet I'm on here replying to you :l
No clue about the consequences though :l
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Perfectionist
Not dealing with this well. Went from B-A* in GCSE to a (single) U in Jan exams and now, I have a feeling I have to resit this whole year as my sixth form requires a minimum of 4 D's to continue to year 13. I am being stupid, yes. But what are the exact consequences?

I've got my mind on LLB Law.. haven't researched uni's properly as I've left the pile of prospectuses for after exams.. but vaguely - Sussex, Warwick, UEA, Exeter.... urgh.

Should I completely forget about those names if what I fear will happen, takes place?

P.S. I do Politics, History, English Lit and Economics

I'm in a similar/worse position to you atm, did well at GCSE underestimated A levels and did rubbish in January.
Don't be disheartened with your results, just work really hard and think to yourself, you could easily compete for places at those uni's.. it's all about motivation/how much you want it.
Like right now, since the start of these easter holidays i've been doing a lot of revision, hoping it'll pay off next month. I know everyone says the things i'm saying right now, and it is easier said than done but sometimes you need that kick up the backside and i'm guessing january was that for you? I need at least 3 D's too and dropped an AS so i'm currently doing 3 in Biology, History, English Lit.

Don't worry, chin up! :smile:
there's still time, start nownownow :tongue:!

Good luck.

P.S. I do Politics, History, English Lit and Economics

I got an A in the English Lit exam without more than an hours revision, it's easy, don't worry. As for Politics, I revised the night before and got an A and a B. History requires more revision, as I only did it the night before and got a C and D :frown:

AS exams are NOT difficult, just revise around a week or so before.
Reply 5
Original post by Helpful_Charlie
I got an A in the English Lit exam without more than an hours revision, it's easy, don't worry. As for Politics, I revised the night before and got an A and a B. History requires more revision, as I only did it the night before and got a C and D :frown:

I have no worries about English Lit, got the highest marks in my two coursework pieces.. just the other three subjects. Thanks.

Very funny.
Reply 6

P.S. I do Politics, History, English Lit and Economics and am supposed to achieve AAAB (B for Politics.. as I got the U for that)

All you need to do is memorise the arguments in Politics AS, so get started now, just write them out over and over til they are stuck in your mind.
Reply 7
Just retake during the A2 year? If you can show your teacher that you'll do much better next year (if you do fail) by doing homework, retaking the exams you didnt do so well on etc, they are likely to give you better prediction grades and therefore it'll be less irrelevant that your AS levels didn't go exactly the way you planned. Just don't fail your A2 levels!!
Reply 8
Original post by awais590
I'm in a similar/worse position to you atm, did well at GCSE underestimated A levels and did rubbish in January.
Don't be disheartened with your results, just work really hard and think to yourself, you could easily compete for places at those uni's.. it's all about motivation/how much you want it.
Like right now, since the start of these easter holidays i've been doing a lot of revision, hoping it'll pay off next month. I know everyone says the things i'm saying right now, and it is easier said than done but sometimes you need that kick up the backside and i'm guessing january was that for you? I need at least 3 D's too and dropped an AS so i'm currently doing 3 in Biology, History, English Lit.

Don't worry, chin up! :smile:
there's still time, start nownownow :tongue:!

Good luck.

Thank you. I was advised to sit the exams for all four, as it's better to get something like AABE/AAAD than AAB/AAA because you're gonna end up dropping one of them any way in year 13.
Reply 9
Thank you. I was advised to sit the exams for all four, as it's better to get something like AABE/AAAD than AAB/AAA because you're gonna end up dropping one of them any way in year 13.

Or you could drop one now, focus on the 3 remaining AS's and take up an AS next year with your current A2's?
Reply 10
I had a crap first year and stayed on for year 14 afterwards to solve the problems. You can fix them too, so don't think your chance is gone, but you'll have to work hard & spend an extra year with a bunch of people you probably don't know which is pretty lame.

If you don't get good grades, you can go to a lesser uni (which ultimately doesn't make a difference if you do really well there) or you can attempt to get a full time job, but there are hardly any of those at the moment so it's advisable to go to uni.
Original post by awais590
Or you could drop one now, focus on the 3 remaining AS's and take up an AS next year with your current A2's?

Oh, actually. Is it possible to still do so at this point? Not doing Politics (and the re-sit for Unit 1) could save me much so time (and headache). I have taken Dutch and German at GCSE and got an A* for both because I used to live there so, AS shouldn't be a problem.
Reply 12
They're just as important as A2 since they affect what universities you can apply to, and I think for your year they can even look at your AS grades so they're doubly important.
Reply 13
Oh, actually. Is it possible to still do so at this point? Not doing Politics (and the re-sit for Unit 1) could save me much so time (and headache). I have taken Dutch and German at GCSE and got an A* for both because I used to live there so, AS shouldn't be a problem.

Yes!

I did exactly that with chemistry, dropped it saved me so much time.

As soon as you get back to college, speak to your head of year and head of department,
tell them your situation and hopefully they will let you drop it.
I managed to drop more or less straight after the January results so I'm not sure if they'll let you drop it at this stage tbh.. Still, worth a try? :smile:
Reply 14

Rubbish. With that attitude you will fail.
You work at mcdonalds.

On a serious note, get off TSR, do some work and stop that happening.
Reply 16

I am sure you go to my school. They have the exact same requirements and the same history units.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Chambo
In GCSE's I got 6 A* and 5 A's.
In January I got two U's.
I'm sweating out the revision hardcore now, and I'm doing physics, history, biology, and english Lang.
WE CAN TURN IT AROUND MOTHER ****ERS!!!!

<3

It'll be worth it :biggrin:
I'd rep you but I can't.

Good luck for your exams!
Original post by Elwyn
Rubbish. With that attitude you will fail.

Except I didn't (barring History).
Reply 19

You are the worst exemplar student, IN THE WORLD. Revision is definitely required if you get a U !!

Quick Reply

Latest