The Student Room Group

What happens if you fail?

I am trying to find out what happens if you fail to get the GCSE grades needed for courses you planned to do. I don't mean long term, but in the week/s after results.

My son had a late dyslexia diagnosis (summer before GCSEs) and is sitting GCSEs now. He's applied for 6th form and a couple of colleges, but all obviously ask for good grades and he failed most topics in the mocks.

I understand you can ask for remarking if close, or resit the following year. But what is not clear is what actually happens between results at end of August, and term starting a week later. How is there time to apply for anything else? What actually happens in that week?

And if results are really bad, then what real hope is there of getting a good pass in the resit - what level of tutoring and revision is expecting from the school to achieve this? He's had maths, English and science tutors for a few years now - this has helped hugely, but it's still going to be a close call.

Stressful and confusing times.
Reply 1
Depending on where he'll go to college, usually they take it into consideration. I don't know if this helps as well, but if the grades he achieves are close to what's needed to get into college, then many schools will ask for you to have a conversation about it as they don't want you to fail A-Levels but if you're close and will succeed then they'll allow you to take the courses. That's what they do at the college i'm going to go to, but I would ask the college what they do specifically.

Quick Reply

Latest