The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by BritainPersonified
I keep meaning to have a look through that... I've personally done some lurking on sites with exemplar Law Personal Statements to see what universities are looking for and how to structure them. My Guidance Teacher advised us that we should start writing our Personal Statements during the Summer Holiday, but it wasn't like we got any help or Guidance on the subject. :P

That's a good idea, I've been looking through some and tried to make a list of anything I can put on mine but that's as far as I've got. Glad to know we're not the only school who haven't signed up for it yet! :yep:

I've read all the way through it :lurk: I don't really have anything to post on it though so I haven't joined in yet :teehee:
Original post by racaha
Has anyone started their applications yet?

I've been lurking on the UCAS 2012 thread and loads of people have but my school haven't done anything yet.

I'm a mature applicant, but at the moment I'm just getting my personal statement together. Other than the PS, there's not much to the UCAS application, just personal information, grades etc.

I'm going to start filling out my UCAS in the next fortnight I imagine.
Reply 162
Original post by admbeatmaker
I'm a mature applicant, but at the moment I'm just getting my personal statement together. Other than the PS, there's not much to the UCAS application, just personal information, grades etc.

I'm going to start filling out my UCAS in the next fortnight I imagine.

I like filling in forms so I'm looking forward to doing that part :gah:

The personal statement not so much! How is yours going? I've not even started writing anything in sentence form yet. :colondollar:
Original post by racaha
I like filling in forms so I'm looking forward to doing that part :gah:

The personal statement not so much! How is yours going? I've not even started writing anything in sentence form yet. :colondollar:

Hahahah, I dread the forms!... and the PS.

So far, well, probably not great. I've got a few specific things I want to talk about. The hardest thing is how to put it down in words, plus having that 4000 character word limit!

I'm also emailing local solicitors' firms for some experience and so far I have one offer! :biggrin:

Most people tend to read a book to put in to their PS, but i've read 5 :rolleyes: I'm gonna' talk about my two favourites.

Where are you applying to?
Reply 164
Hahahah, I dread the forms!... and the PS.

So far, well, probably not great. I've got a few specific things I want to talk about. The hardest thing is how to put it down in words, plus having that 4000 character word limit!

I'm also emailing local solicitors' firms for some experience and so far I have one offer! :biggrin:

Most people tend to read a book to put in to their PS, but i've read 5 :rolleyes: I'm gonna' talk about my two favourites.

Where are you applying to?

Aw, the forms are the best bit! :wink:

That's what I'm struggling with, I have a few ideas about what I can write about, just not how I'm going to write about it.

I'm looking for some work experience too :yep: I've emailed a few and I'm in the middle of waiting to hear back from people. I hope I can get some!

The more the merrier! I'm going to read a few and then pick my favourites out too.

I have no idea! I have a few that I've liked the look of. I've only had the chance to visit Newcastle which I liked but I also like the look of Cambridge, Nottingham, Birmingham, Bristol and York.I'm going to have to narrow down quite a bit! Plus I'll probably have to look at some with lower entry requirements so I'm not applying for all high ones. Plus it depends how results day goes :tongue:

How about you? :h:
How is not taking the LNAT, the "east way out"? :confused:

I just don't have £50 floating around to pay for it.

£50... seriously?
It's an investment for your future.
Hey guys,

New to this forum so forgive me if I don't get this correct.

Just thought I would say not to worry about personal statements for university. Make it your own and show your enthusiasm for the course. I was so worried about mine but I start Liverpool Law School in September which is awesome. Just let your passion be seen!
Hey guys,

New to this forum so forgive me if I don't get this correct.

Just thought I would say not to worry about personal statements for university. Make it your own and show your enthusiasm for the course. I was so worried about mine but I start Liverpool Law School in September which is awesome. Just let your passion be seen!
Reply 168
Dont worry to much about ypur statement take your time.
I've got my place for 2012 to study law at LJMU.
I applied in the 2011 window and deffered to 2012 due to illness.
I thought my statement was rubbish but they said it was really good.

So don't ever doubt yourself everyone you'll do ok.

FIERYRED.:smile:
Original post by racaha
That's a good idea, I've been looking through some and tried to make a list of anything I can put on mine but that's as far as I've got. Glad to know we're not the only school who haven't signed up for it yet! :yep:

I've read all the way through it :lurk: I don't really have anything to post on it though so I haven't joined in yet :teehee:

Yeah, I've officially been on Summer holiday for about two weeks now, so I'm not going to be able to sign up or get the buzzword until I go back in mid-August. :/ It's going to be fun because I've openly said to my Guidance Teacher that I want to be putting my application in when UCAS opens. Are you guys on holiday yet, or still in School?

I started reading it yesterday... I got to page 20 and then decided that I should be reading it in instalments whilst watching films and Tom and Jerry re-runs :holmes: :colone:. It felt like a good strategy at the time...
Reply 170
Original post by BritainPersonified
Yeah, I've officially been on Summer holiday for about two weeks now, so I'm not going to be able to sign up or get the buzzword until I go back in mid-August. :/ It's going to be fun because I've openly said to my Guidance Teacher that I want to be putting my application in when UCAS opens. Are you guys on holiday yet, or still in School?

I started reading it yesterday... I got to page 20 and then decided that I should be reading it in instalments whilst watching films and Tom and Jerry re-runs :holmes: :colone:. It felt like a good strategy at the time...

Wow lucky being off early! I think we'll be getting it tomorrow so I should have forms to fill in tomorrow :bigsmile: We're still in school, it closes on the 22nd. It'll be a quick job filling in your application when you get back then! At least stuff like the personal statement can be done without it :yep:

:teehee: Sounds good! I miss Tom and Jerry, I must watch some over these holidays :holmes:
Original post by tehforum
£50... seriously?
It's an investment for your future.

Agreed. I think if you have everything else needed for an LNAT uni (grades, etc) its worth taking. Otherwise you're missing out on applying to quite a few decent unis.
How is not taking the LNAT, the "east way out"? :confused:

I just don't have £50 floating around to pay for it.

It is the easy way out, whichever way you look at it. The fee is waived via bursaries for students, who are seriously hard up, so funding shouldn't really be a problem in most cases.
Original post by Junaid16
It is the easy way out, whichever way you look at it. The fee is waived via bursaries for students, who are seriously hard up, so funding shouldn't really be a problem in most cases.

I wish I had parents who would give me the £50, but sadly all the money they make goes on the bills and the mortgage. And what they earn, only just exceeds the boundary to qualify for a bursary.

Yes, I guess I'm taking the easy way out.
Reply 174
I wish I had parents who would give me the £50, but sadly all the money they make goes on the bills and the mortgage. And what they earn, only just exceeds the boundary to qualify for a bursary.

If you don't want to apply for a uni that uses the LNAT then that's entirely your choice but just in case you didn't know and end up really liking one that needs it, schools and sixth forms are supposed to be having a hardship fund next year for when people need help with academic costs and you could see if this would fall under it? Just in case you end up really needing the money. :smile:

Maybe your school can help? I can accept that maybe you're up aganist it, but quite a number of people avoid the LNAT simply because it's an 'added burden' or they just cannot be bothered to prepare for it.
Original post by racaha
If you don't want to apply for a uni that uses the LNAT then that's entirely your choice but just in case you didn't know and end up really liking one that needs it, schools and sixth forms are supposed to be having a hardship fund next year for when people need help with academic costs and you could see if this would fall under it? Just in case you end up really needing the money. :smile:

Yep, you're entirely correct and only one university I thought about applying to (Manchester) is part of the LNAT consortium. Being told that not applying to one LNAT uni because I cannot afford it is "taking the easy way out", is quite juvenile.

I'm going to be applying to Cambridge (whether I am successful is another thing), I doubt most would say that is the easy way out in law.
Original post by Junaid16
Maybe your school can help? I can accept that maybe you're up aganist it, but quite a number of people avoid the LNAT simply because it's an 'added burden' or they just cannot be bothered to prepare for it.

If I had the spare cash, I wouldn't think twice about not doing it. I would like to apply to Manchester, but alas, for one application I don't think it's worth the hardship in getting the £50.
Reply 178
Yep, you're entirely correct and only one university I thought about applying to (Manchester) is part of the LNAT consortium. Being told that not applying to one LNAT uni because I cannot afford it is "taking the easy way out", is quite juvenile.

I'm going to be applying to Cambridge (whether I am successful is another thing), I doubt most would say that is the easy way out in law.

:yep: It's up to you where you choose to apply to and it's lucky that they're mainly non LNAT.

I was just telling you about it in case you didn't know because I know money can be an issue but if you had fallen in love with a university that wanted it, it would have been a shame for you to miss out if you didn't need to.

Good luck with your application! Where else are you thinking of?
Original post by racaha
:yep: It's up to you where you choose to apply to and it's lucky that they're mainly non LNAT.

I was just telling you about it in case you didn't know because I know money can be an issue but if you had fallen in love with a university that wanted it, it would have been a shame for you to miss out if you didn't need to.

Good luck with your application! Where else are you thinking of?

Thanks for your help! :smile: After all, I still don't have my universities all decided.

At the moment I'm thinking:

Cambridge
Queen Mary
York
Reading
Lancaster

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending