The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I think people with a different format of mind/thinking want to be truly understood, not told that they have something inherent odd about them and that it is a defect.
Reply 21
Original post by OL1V3R
I have Asperger's Syndrome, but it's part of a spectrum; some people with it have it more severely than others. In my case, it is very mild in that if you started a conversation with me, you probably wouldn't really notice that I have Asperger's.

This pretty much sums up me as well.

For those who seem to think that we are "dementors" btw (regardless of whether your being serious or not), we are not some sort of foreign creatures, we are human beings who are pretty much like anyone else. We may have a disability but it doesn't mean to say that we are inferior.
Original post by hunstatham
if it does, so be it. Nobody has to accommodate others.

Agreed. But you dont have to label others as ill/deficient either do you.
Reply 23
Original post by Ocassus
I think people with a different format of mind/thinking want to be truly understood, not told that they have something inherent odd about them and that it is a defect.

Don't know if defect is the right word but there certainly are mutated genes associated with autism.
Original post by Ocassus

It's been a while since I saw a post from you that I like. This is one, have some rep.

Edit: tomorrow.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by KJane
No.

But if you are making the connection I think you are then you're being extremely offensive to not only Autistic people but to me as well if you are implying I'm Autistic and therefore stupid.

Examining what a dementor does I would have to say that you probably better fit the description of a 'Joy sucking and life destroying monster' towards Autistic or people with Aspergers than they do to you.

You're being paranoid! :confused:
Reply 26
Original post by n1r4v

Original post by n1r4v
Don't know if defect is the right word but there certainly are mutated genes associated with autism.

If I told you that you weren't normal and that there was something inherently wrong with you, even if you felt and acted in an otherwise normally human manner, albeit with a few quirks and managed to convince you of such would you be happy about it?

You are telling an otherwise sane person that they are inherently inferior because their wires are wired in a different way so to speak, even though they are capable of acting as otherwise rational human beings. They want to be understood, not looked down upon or pitied or pandered.

EDIT : It is not an illness to 'treat', it is an inherent part of the person, a quirk that makes them who they are. It is not something to be frowned upon...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Ocassus
If I told you that you weren't normal and that there was something inherently wrong with you, even if you felt and acted in an otherwise normally human manner, albeit with a few quirks and managed to convince you of such would you be happy about it?

You are telling an otherwise sane person that they are inherently inferior because their wires are wired in a different way so to speak, even though they are capable of acting as otherwise rational human beings. They want to be understood, not looked down upon or pitied or pandered.

Doesn't that mean you're attaching a stigma to autism?
Reply 28
Original post by n1r4v

Original post by n1r4v
Doesn't that mean you're attaching a stigma to autism?

No, society does, by treating it as a defect or illness, rather than simply a different state of mind.
Reply 29
One of my best friends has asperger's and I love her to pieces and she's the kindest, gentlest person i've ever met, but there are the downsides--unawareness, socially and spatially, putting her foot in it, being unable to understand the bigger picture. These don't bother me really. The one that does is that her syndrome stops her giving in the friendship--I don't ever remember her initiating doing something or even asking me how i am. but so so. i wouldn't lose her for the world.
there are varying degrees of autism just as there are personalities--i don't have a standard opinion of autistic people.
Reply 30
Original post by mikeylfc1989
You're being paranoid! :confused:

You didn't mean that then? Sorry, if you didn't, I saw this thread and got defensive, I'm used to doing that since some people can they have the right to pick on people who have these conditions. I've spent my life fighting them for someone who can't fight back. :colondollar:
Reply 31
Original post by Ocassus
No, society does, by treating it as a defect or illness, rather than simply a different state of mind.

But it is a defect. I think to say it's just a different state of mind is like saying to someone, 'But you're special!' It's patronising. With autism, comes a great deal of problems, socially, unless it's mild, or even then. And I mean no disrespect at all to anyone on the autistic spectrum.
Reply 32
Original post by booksnob

But it is a defect. I think to say it's just a different state of mind is like saying to someone, 'But you're special!' It's patronising. With autism, comes a great deal of problems, socially, unless it's mild, or even then. And I mean no disrespect at all to anyone on the autistic spectrum.

No it isn't. A sane human being wants to be treated as a normal individual, there are problems and there are upsides, their brain is wired up in a different fashion, sure. But they, aside from a few quirks, are exactly the same. You don't even bother making the distinction, of course you don't treat them as 'special', that is the point. They want to be listened to and understood as normal and rational human beings, not as broken, or defectual, or something to be cured.

From their perspective, who they are IS the label you stick on them. They are naturally reclusive and socially less capable, it is an inbuilt part of them, by labelling them as something in need of curing is like labelling somebody being gay as in need of a cure. It is a different state of mind in the same way.

Gay people have a hard time socially, ginger kids have a hard time socially, geniuses have a hard time socially. It isn't an indicator for illness, it is an indicator for difference.

To test for illness you need to step out of the subjective social world and look objectively. And objectively, every apparent deficit from autism seems to be counter balanced with a skill.
Reply 34

a defect?

einstein was thought to be on the spectrum and he was one of the greatest minds ever.

he WAS special an you'll never contribute what he has to the world.
Reply 35
Original post by Ocassus
No it isn't. A sane human being wants to be treated as a normal individual, there are problems and there are upsides, their brain is wired up in a different fashion, sure. But they, aside from a few quirks, are exactly the same. You don't even bother making the distinction, of course you don't treat them as 'special', that is the point. They want to be listened to and understood as normal and rational human beings, not as broken, or defectual, or something to be cured.

From their perspective, who they are IS the label you stick on them. They are naturally reclusive and socially less capable, it is an inbuilt part of them, by labelling them as something in need of curing is like labelling somebody being gay as in need of a cure. It is a different state of mind in the same way.

But they DO have social and communication symptoms, whatever you want to call them. Are you just arguing that doctors should use the word symptom instead of defect?
Reply 36
Original post by morecambebay
Gay people have a hard time socially, ginger kids have a hard time socially, geniuses have a hard time socially. It isn't an indicator for illness, it is an indicator for difference.

To test for illness you need to step out of the subjective social world and look objectively. And objectively, every apparent deficit from autism seems to be counter balanced with a skill.

Gay and ginger people have a hard time socially? Do you mean, with social acceptance? I was talking about social skills.
My friend is autistic and she scoffs at all this Aspie Pride kind of waffle she's been fed over the years. She can recognise her Asperger's brings some real limitations and she tries to overcome them--for example, making an effort with people, not just seeing things as literal.
Original post by n1r4v
But they DO have social and communication symptoms, whatever you want to call them. Are you just arguing that doctors should use the word symptom instead of defect?

Ok.

Imagining putting 100 people in a room, 99 german and one french.

Is the french one inherently damaged because he cant communicate well with the others? No. Because his lack of german language skills is counter balanced by his skills in french language.

Analogously, my lack of ability to understand body language is counter balanced by my ability to understand the language of maths. Everything is subjective.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by int92
a defect?

einstein was thought to be on the spectrum and he was one of the greatest minds ever.

he WAS special an you'll never contribute what he has to the world.

There's no need to get aggressive. I just think, to say it's not a syndrome or defective is a bit silly. In its extreme forms, it's a very terrible thing; it lesser forms, the symptoms can be mild. But it isn't something you would choose to be.
Reply 39
Original post by n1r4v

Original post by n1r4v

No, not at all. They are just people godammit, they think bit differently, but they are perfectly able individuals who are mentally capable. Doctors shouldn't even come into it, it isn't something to be treated, it is who they are...

Latest

Trending

Trending