The Student Room Group

E-Petition to ban the EDL receives over 5000 signatures

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Despite the fact that I believe the world would be better off without them, it's their right to voice their opinions, and therefore I'm against the banning.
If the same Muslims who dislike the EDL dislike them because of their peddling of ridiculous views (which they are), then why don't they put the effort into proposing the banning of these extremist Muslim groups too? Surely if the latter cease to exist, the former would have no raison d'etre either

There's also the whole freedom of speech which has to be considered, I'm pretty sure that if things like this can be allowed to be said/done, then the EDL necessarily too can be afforded the same rights.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22
Don't ban them. However, I fully support communities chasing them out of town.
Reply 23
Original post by Grim_the_Reaper
Has it never occured to anyone that if Labour hadn't flooded the UK with thousands of Muslims immigrants, while making no effort whatsoever to integrate them, then groups like the EDL wouldn't exist?

How did Labour do that?
I'm a Muslim and banning them would just cause more problems.
Reply 25
I vehemently despise the EDL, but they shouldn't be banned because we need freedom of expression in this country. There are people all over the Middle East walking in to the fire of bullets to get the freedoms that we already have. We are lucky to have free speech in the UK and we should be grateful for it.
Reply 26
Joining the EDL is wrong.
But banning the EDL is even more wrong.
It is immoral and quite frankly totalitarian to suggest that people with extreme views shouldn't be allowed to voice them. Why is it immoral to support one political organisation and not another? Why should the government set out to define the bounds of morality? Who is the government to dictate which political views are right and which are wrong.
Let's be clear I hate the EDL and they go against every moral fibre in my body, but I support everyone's right to an opinion. Even if it is a wrong one.
Ridiculous idea, we can't just ban every group or political party we don't like.
Reply 28
I dislike the EDL and all it stands for but I believe that everyone has the right to freedom of speech
It won't work as long as the EDL maintains it's core policy of protesting against Islamic terrorism. There are quite a few who stick to that.
Original post by B-Man.
I vehemently despise the EDL, but they shouldn't be banned because we need freedom of expression in this country. There are people all over the Middle East walking in to the fire of bullets to get the freedoms that we already have. We are lucky to have free speech in the UK and we should be grateful for it.

Very true - we take those freedoms for granted.
Herp derp, let's shut down political groups to stop fascism herp derp.
I ****ing hate the EDL, but we shouldn't be banning them unless they're actually causing (or inciting) harm to others.

Yes, some of their members are, but the group as a whole does not promote this.

And anyway, even if you did ban it, a brand new group would pop up within the hour, but probably even more extreme.
I believe they should be banned because running around a city causing damage and shouting racist abuse at any muslims in sight (or anyone else who happens to be non white and in the area) goes far beyond freedom of speech.
Nah, don't ban them. Really hate them but they should have a right to express their opinions even though they aim to intimidate my community. As soon as they start inciting violence, hate or whatever, then the Home Office have a reason to do ban or hand out sanctions, just like Islam4UK. But as in the case of the latter has shown, they will rear their ugly head again in another form because you can ban an outfit, but you can't supress ideology.
They would continue to do what they do but another way. In fact it would ignite the fire further and make them even more maniac than they are. So let's not give them a victory served up on a plate. Just police their demos (which seem to be going nowhere and costing us millions of pounds) and keep an eye on their activities for now.

By the way, just of of interest, do people here think Hizb ut Tahrir should be banned?
Original post by Diffusion
By the way, just of of interest, do people here think Hizb ut Tahrir should be banned?

I think freedom of speech ends when it involves inciting/encouraging murder. Haven't Hizb ut Tahrir been accused of inciting/encouraging terrorism?
Reply 36
Original post by Chav Princess
I think freedom of speech ends when it involves inciting/encouraging murder. Haven't Hizb ut Tahrir been accused of inciting/encouraging terrorism?

Original post by Diffusion

Hisb ut-Tahrir condemned both 9/11 and 7/7 as un-Islamic terrorist attacks. The U.S. government, according to the Global Security thinktank, "has found no clear ties between Hizb ut-Tahrir and terrorist activity."

They say alot of despicable things, but they cannot be linked to terrorism. I hold the position that banning groups which espouse views like Hizb ut-Tahrir is counter-productive. They simply go underground with less public debate that could serve to counter the propaganda they pedal. This is a view held by Majid Nawaaz (ex-Hisb ut-Tahrir leading member who now works for a counter-extremist think tank) and many other experts.

[Edit] You are just going to neg me without even providing a reason 'Chav Princess?' [/Edit]
(edited 12 years ago)
I pressed yes sorry but no, there would be no point.
I think that the EDL is made up of absolute ***** who despite what they say are racist thugs. They say they fight islamic extremism but in reality what a lot of them do (and I've seen them do) is just victimise any asian person they see with violence and insults of 'paki' (regardless of whether they're actually pakistani.)

Banning them would be pointless though, they'd still manage to organise meetings etc., maybe just under a different name. The only difference is that it would now be unofficial and 'underground', they'd be completely playing by their own rules as they're already banned; there's less holding them back and they'd have more reason to be angry. Also what you said about the slippery slope; what's to stop the banning of other people's freedom of speech?

My grammar was probably atrocious but I get riled up when discussing the bloody EDL lol.

Oh and obviously if we're banning the EDL there are many other (sympathetic or opposing) organisations that would need to be banned also, they're all as bad as each other it just seems as though the EDL has the loudest voice.
(edited 12 years ago)
What is the EDL? A national meeting for the alcoholics of the UK to indulge in violent racism? I think so.
Original post by B-Man.
Hisb ut-Tahrir condemned both 9/11 and 7/7 as un-Islamic terrorist attacks. The U.S. government, according to the Global Security thinktank, "has found no clear ties between Hizb ut-Tahrir and terrorist activity."

They say alot of despicable things, but they cannot be linked to terrorism. I hold the position that banning groups which espouse views like Hizb ut-Tahrir is counter-productive. They simply go underground with less public debate that could serve to counter the propaganda they pedal. This is a view held by Majid Nawaaz (ex-Hisb ut-Tahrir leading member who now works for a counter-extremist think tank) and many other experts.

[Edit] You are just going to neg me without even providing a reason 'Chav Princess?' [/Edit]

I didn't neg you.

I don't know enough about Hisb ut-Tahrir to comment too much, but I just heard they incited terrorism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending